PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish on SC beach in relation to the wharf

pulper80
09-01-2005, 08:21 AM
If I wanted to do some surf perch fishing off the beach in Santa Cruz, where should I fish in relation to the wharf? Facing the wharf, there is a short section to the right, and then there are high rocky cliffs. To the left of the wharf is a longer section of beach but there are usually lots of people swimming.

wading2fish
09-01-2005, 08:41 AM
Pulper,

I have never fished at SC, but am familiar with the area and thought about fishing it.

If I was to fish, I would fish over towards the rocky area and avoid the swimmers area. Besides targeting perch, I would also set up a rock cod rig and give it a try.

w2f

ken_fishnfool
09-01-2005, 08:48 AM
To the right is right. Also for perch there is a little beach south of the harbor mouth. Run down 14th street and park at the end. Nice trail down to this beach (about 50 yards) and a restroom. Lots of barred perch and sometime jacksmelt, and maybe a leopard shark. Once in a blue moon a halibut or striper.

pulper80
09-01-2005, 09:03 AM
That sounds great, I will try to try both spots this weekend and will let you know how it goes. I will try grubs and sandcrabs.

wading2fish
09-01-2005, 09:21 AM
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9097/perchpower20bu.jpg

I recommend some Kalin's grubs like these PerchPower grubs. I also like Berkeley Bait Power grubs. Another color in Kalin's I had success with was Pink Champagne and I also heard Motor Oil Red Flake is good.

For bait, sand crabs work and they're free! But the biggest perch I have caught were on pile worms. Check out the surf perch fishing thread if you haven't checked it out yet. I think now it's on page 2. Rockhopper has some pics of some impressive redtail and striped surf perch in there.

w2f

pulper80
09-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Yep I read through that whole surfperch thread and that's what got me excited about going out to fish for them this weekend :D

I have a bag of grubs exactly like that, only they are a darker forest green color. If I have to stop by the bait shop I will pick up other colors, but if not i will just use those.

I was thinking... you can use as many hooks as you want in the ocean right? What about just rigging up a Sabiki and then putting a grub on each hook. Then you would have 6 grubs out there at slightly different depths from the bottom to about 3' up.

ken_fishnfool
09-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Motor oil w/red and gold flakes, if you can find them.
Also you might want to bring a few market shrimp, the ultimate standby bait.
Also I wouldn't use more than 2 hooks at a time. That's how I conservitavely read the reg's.

wading2fish
09-01-2005, 09:31 AM
I think kff is right. I'm not 100% on this, but I think they just changed the regs on amount of hooks one can use. I also wouldn't use more than two hooks.

Your best bet is to check the regs and see if you can make any sense of them, I know to me they're sometimes confusing.

w2f

pulper80
09-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Yea its probably different when fishing from the beach than the wharf. They let you get away with murder on the wharf! No fishing license required, can use 2 poles, unlimited hooks...