PDA

View Full Version : Rock Cod Identification

gone fishin
08-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Here is a link to a good identification of the rock cod caught in our waters. The DFG are giving out a lot of fines lately and I don't want to see anyone here get sited.

The Canary, Yellow-eye Rock fish and Cow cod are illegal to possess and must be released.

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/odfw/finfish/sp/fish_list.html

Fish King
08-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Hey Gone Fishin, I really don't even see why they put a zero catch limit on these three fish. These fish are in waters deeper than 100 feet and whenever I hook one, by the time I bring it to the surface it is already dead. The eyes are sticking out and it's stomach is hanging out too. Anybody that catches one of these fish most likely tries to release it, but I find that they never live. And since DFG says that we can't keep them, they just end up floating behind the boat for the birds to get. Doesn't make sense to me. I guess that's DFG for ya. Their rules never make sense. ???

gone fishin
08-05-2005, 07:44 AM
Hey Fish_King

I had the same feeling. I even sent DFG an email asking them the same question. I suggested that they take a look at catching these fish only in 120 foot or less by the sport fisherman would not deplete these fish. When they made these rules they were still drag netting everything.

I will try to find and post the link where we all can send our letters.

Thanks and good luck....

Redwine
08-08-2005, 09:18 AM
Gone Fishin,

Great site, thanks for posting it!!

Redwine

Intimidator
08-31-2005, 04:50 AM
Canary case was droped...
PM if you need to know more.