PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dives to spear fish?

bluestar
08-29-2005, 07:41 PM
I have a full set of diving gear, complete with 7mm suit, hood, gloves, boots, goggles, etc.

Originally I used it only to clean the bottom of my sailboat. Then I started diving for abalone near shore.

So I'm thinking, since I have this gear, I might as well take them with me on the next halibut fishing trip in the bay; if I don't hook one by the end of the day, maybe I can just dive down to grab one...

I'm wondering if anybody else does this too?

triggerfish
08-29-2005, 08:56 PM
bluestar,I hope that you dont mean S.F. bay. It has very dangerous currents,and 12" visibility. Monterey bay would be better,or Bodega. I would be game for a ocean hailbut dive. I am in the northern section so, bodega,ft ross,salt point would be my choice.

blue_chrush
08-29-2005, 10:59 PM
come to santa cruz and go to the end of rockview near
30th ave.. straight out you will see a channel that has
no kelp in it and goes from the inside to outside the kelp beds...that channel is like 400ys long and hold some really good fish and is only like 12'inside to 25'outside
its a really popular spot and is fun...
we free dive that area and fish from surfboards too....
and no sharks....lol ;D

bluestar
08-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Santa Cruz sounds like a good place with clean waters....but is the bay not less dangerous than the ocean? I thought I was being conservative.

Many times I fish at the Alameda rock wall in the morning and water surface is like a mirror. Could there be turbulence underneath?

Regarding the ocean, I've been told snorkel divers can just walk into the surf. Is this correct? Would I look like a weirdo if I do that? I hardly surf fish so I don't know what goes on at the beach....

blue_chrush
08-30-2005, 07:26 PM
no way.....
there is like 5-7 guys that go all the time and
2 have there dive boards and people are really nice
and come up to you and want to see your bag and what
you got....its way cool ;D
the beach at the end of 34th is great and the end
of rockview too and that one is my favorite as you
can get into the channel with just a short swim out...

marnilr
08-30-2005, 11:21 PM
So I'm thinking, since I have this gear, I might as well take them with me on the next halibut fishing trip in the bay; if I don't hook one by the end of the day, maybe I can just dive down to grab one...

I'm wondering if anybody else does this too?

I have not done it myself but have heard that diving for halibut in Tomales Bay can be quite productive.