PDA

View Full Version : Hello All....New to Cabbing

Zebco Kid
11-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Hello All,

This weekend I popped my crabbing cherry. I had never put my boat in salt water, but I couldn't take it any longer. I went crabbing out at Bodega Bay. It was a good day. We picked up 16 crabs before the outgoing tide and increasing wind made our time on the water less than pleasurable.

I learned a few things since: Get out further, soak 'em longer, better baits, etc.

Now I need to tap into the best ocean conditions reporting so I can understand when the wind, waves, swell, tide, etc. is in my favor. Can someone provide a link to such a resource?

Thank you.

TZK17826

nvthis
11-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Nice pic man. I'd eat the hell out of that.

ngt
11-17-2013, 08:24 PM
jealous. Still haven't been out Crabbing this year :(

kris k
11-17-2013, 11:07 PM
I use a few resources to be safest, but here's the one that I rely on most. Just scroll to the area you're concerned with and click. The report has a tendency to change rapidly, so always make sure you check one last time right before you go

Coastal Waters Forecast for Coastal Waters from Point Reyes to Pigeon Point California out to 10 nm (PZZ545) (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=PZZ545&zflg=1)

jsusbilla
11-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Windalert is pretty good too with an app on the phones:

WindAlert - Bodega Bay - Wind Conditions & Forecast (http://www.windalert.com/spot/415#forecast)

SalmonJunky
11-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Hello All,

This weekend I popped my crabbing cherry. I had never put my boat in salt water, but I couldn't take it any longer. I went crabbing out at Bodega Bay. It was a good day. We picked up 16 crabs before the outgoing tide and increasing wind made our time on the water less than pleasurable.

I learned a few things since: Get out further, soak 'em longer, better baits, etc.

Now I need to tap into the best ocean conditions reporting so I can understand when the wind, waves, swell, tide, etc. is in my favor. Can someone provide a link to such a resource?

Thank you.

TZK17826

At Half Moon Bay I put my pots right inside the cove with the Kayakers and I have had like 8 crab per pot average. I used to put them farther out into deeper water but I don't think its necessary. Half moon bay is really nice if you ever want to try there. I have never been on the water at Bodega, Im sure its nice too. What ever part of the chicken is .98$ a lb is what I use.

roboy250
11-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Ill be doing first crab trip on wed on my boat in half moon bay. Am very confuse with the limits... is it ok to have 10 crab per person or 6 per person????

Zebco Kid
11-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Half Moon Bay sounds nice. I wonder if it is more productive than Bodega Bay, or they're all the same.

In either case, what a blast. A new fever to enjoy.

DG

JB14
11-18-2013, 05:17 PM
10 crab per licensed fisherman on a private boat. 6 per licensed fisherman on party boats.

untalan1
11-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Now there's no turning back the salt can be addicting , your first trip in the salt and sure it won't be your last Efren

Zebco Kid
11-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Now there's no turning back the salt can be addicting , your first trip in the salt and sure it won't be your last Efren

but now I need a bigger boat. Go figure. Ugh!