PDA

View Full Version : catching a leopard shark

ChUbBz
08-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey im going to go fishing at a pier, and i want to know how to catch leopard sharks. i have a penn powwer stick - g with a conventional reel and 25 lbs. test line. can u guyz plz send me pics of rigs or please tell me what i can do...?

THNX ;D

Fishbutt21
08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
There is a 2 page thread named Sharking rigs I bevieve from july that has a ton of info complete with pics,hope this helps

Flipper266
08-29-2005, 07:32 PM
I catch them on 3 way rigs, frozen squid. The are fun to catch!

blue_chrush
08-29-2005, 08:40 PM
^^^^^^^^DITTO^^^^^^^
and not only fun to catch there great to eating too....
no bones and just like halibut kinda... b-qued is best ;)

Flipper266
08-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Blue,
Do you bleed them before or after? I have heard that they carry toxins and that they urinate through the skin if you do not bleed them. I have always wanted to try one but am chicken.

MB_Kevin
08-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I catch tuns of sharks off the piers. Just tie a wight at the bottom probably 3oz or something like that. then put a hook up about 8 -10 inches up and another one about 2 foot up. I usually put squid on the bottom hook and anchovies on the top one. I have also got them on pile worm and shrimp from the store. how ever you rig it just get the bait to the bottom and squid would be your best bet because they like it and it stays on the hook a long time.
good luck.

blue_chrush
08-29-2005, 09:19 PM
matt....
no I don't and just start at the head and cut them
just like your going to fillet them and never cut into
the stomach area as there is some fowl stuff in there...
wash the meat good and bag it and cook it...
you will see there is very little blood anyway...
I like to b-que them in a mixture of
butter,ginger,little honey,and garlic...
bast the meat and turn it offten and bast accordingly
it is mmmmmmmm-goood

I'm not proud of it, but yrs ago I fished all night and
fell asleep when I got home and didn't clean the fish
till 10am the next day and it was fine....
it is true that leapord sharks excrete fluids inside them
as they don't have a swim bladder, but in all my yrs eating
these fish I have never had or seen meat taited with urine..and being a plumber you know I know what that smells like.....lol
leapord shark is great, bay shark may contain toxins that
pregnet women shouln't eat or young childern...
but twinkies have toxins in them too. and I love twinkies.. ;D

ps..
by my photo you can see all the green sores have
healed nicely,....lol

MoMoney
08-30-2005, 05:53 AM
I like to use the ready made sturgeon rigs like those from Haywards,they sell them anywhere.They have 2 hooks so I can use a big bait (I like whole sardines or a whole herring.Get a knife and pretend your gonna fillet one side and cut from the tail towards the headand stop before the gills.Fold that piece over and hook it with the head and stick the other hook near the other end.I dont catch as many sand sharks while using these baits.If you use squid and anchovies it seems to attract more sand sharks.The herring has worked great for me this year.In ,my shark outtings this year we have boated more than 15 keepers using herring and have really cut down on our sand shark catches.

badbobfishing33
08-30-2005, 01:41 PM
just a slidding sinker rig like for trout but heavier line of course. I actually use the sturgeon leaders you can buy in a package...or just a bug hook with a swivel and a sliding weight holder.

squid is the ticket for me biggest leopard I got was over 4ft what a fight...we have been getting some really nice fat ones lately...last week we got 15 sand sharks...then all of a sudden nothing but big leopards..it was really odd. good evening of fishing.