PDA

View Full Version : Stanislaus and higher

Dangatang
11-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Hi all,

Nice to meet you. I am new to CA (recently moved from East Coast) and an avid fisherman - with a particular passion for ice-fishing (especially remote locations). I'm going to start my CA fishing life by exploring the Stanislaus next weekend, and moving to higher elevations as it gets colder.

Any information/tips for ice-fishing in the Sierras? Not looking for honey holes, more of areas that can be accessed, and what I can expect in terms of hiking distance, terrain, etc.

Thanks and tight lines!
Dang

Jetspray
11-23-2013, 06:03 AM
Welcome to the boards, nice looking fish you have there. We fish mostly the 88 corridor, some of those lakes are great to ice fish on, but I don't do that myself. NorCal is a great place to start:thumbup:.......Jetspray

Dangatang
11-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Thanks! I've scoured the maps of 88 and I bet Caples / Red are good starts for ice fishing during the cold months. :thumbup: No doubt I'll drill a few holes there as I explore this amazing area. :D

Dang

BigUnInDaBoat
11-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Do you mean the Stanislaus National Forest and not the River? River/stream fishing east of the highway 49 divide closed about two weeks ago. Do our lakes freeze hard enough in cali to safely ice fish from?

tomaniacal
11-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Oh yeah, our lakes here in Cali freeze pretty hard during the winter at the higher elevations. You can still fish the Stan but it is barbless hooks catch and release only right now.

Dangatang
11-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Hi hooks - no snowmobile, just hoofing it with snowshoes. Willing to walk a long way for fish though.

BigUnInDaBoat: The forest. Got a place in mind - which I confirmed is open. I think tomincal is correct; higher elevation lakes/ponds will definitely freeze - some probably frozen already! Nothing better than getting out on the ice and looking through to the bottom when you're a 1/4 mile from shore. :)

Thanks for the replies.

Dang

RideNfish
11-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Please be careful when taking regulation advice from the forum and be sure to double check from the DFW website or fishing regs book. Lots of honest mistakes are made since the regs can be difficult to understand at times.

A post on here said the Stanislaus was barbless and C&R only. That isn't true. Most of the Stan is closed after Nov 15t and different sections have different regs. There is a barbless section but it's closed now too.

Didn't want someone to read the post and take off for the river with a rod in hand and get busted.

Here are the regs just to keep it clear

(A) From Goodwin Dam downstream to the Highway 120 bridge in Oakdale.
Jan. 1 through Oct. 31. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.

(B) From the Highway 120 bridge in Oakdale to the mouth.
Jan. 1 through Oct. 31.
Bait may be used from Jan. 1 - Oct. 31. However, from April 1 through the Friday preceding the fourth Saturday in May, bait may be used only with single hooks having a gap between 1/2 and 1 inch, or with multiple hooks having a gap between 1/4 and 1/2 inch.

(187) Stanislaus River, Middle Fork (Tuolumne Co.).
(A) From Beardsley Dam downstream to the U. S. Forest Service footbridge at Spring Gap.
Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used.

(B) From the U.S. Forest Service footbridge at Spring Gap to New Melones Reservoir.
Last Saturday in Apr. through Nov. 15.

What area do you live in Dang? I'm in the Modesto area and access to frozen lakes up Hwy 108 is tough since they close the roads for winter. Great country to fish though!

Cheers,

Marv
11-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the boards and California!!! We got a few dudes on here that ice fish. Search the forum and check out some older posts to get a rough idea.

The Stanislaus river is CLOSED!!!!

Troutoholic
11-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Welcome to the boards and California!!! We got a few dudes on here that ice fish. Search the forum and check out some older posts to get a rough idea.

The Stanislaus river is CLOSED!!!!

Welcome Brotha! Your gonna get all the help you need from this forum, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Dangatang
11-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the welcomes and info - great stuff! Can't wait to start exploring the CA outdoors with a rod (and auger soon too!).

RideNFish: I'm not too far west of you - near Livermore.

Dang