PDA

View Full Version : Humbolt Squid R in Ft Bragg

SwimswithFishes
08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
I just read that the Humbolt Squid made an appearance up in Ft Bragg on Wednesday. *The report said the Rumblefish was attacked by a school of humbolts and they landed a few to 20#.

Has anyone seen the Discovery Channel thing on the Humbolts? *Man, I sure don't want to fall into the water when they are around! *They have hooks on their suckers just like Architeuthis.

Rusty_Hooks
08-26-2005, 10:03 AM
PARTY BOAT ATTACKED BY GIANT SQUID....

.......CALAMRI FRY ENSUED..... ;) ;D ;D

....with heavy garlic breath casualties ::) 8)

GXC6
08-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Amazing predators. The guy filming them wears body armor to protect himself. Quite the jig set up. They knock the heck out of them in Southern Cal. Party boats go out every night. They bring the schools up from about 300 to 400 feet right to the surface. 30 to 40 pounders are common. I've heard that because of the overfishing in Mexico, it has reduced the amount of available food, they are migrating north in search of food and coming up from the deep (up to 3000ft deep) and closer to shore. Incredible! Here's the news letter from DFG a few months ago.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/newsletter/0405.html

Rusty_Hooks
08-26-2005, 11:19 AM
This last winter when the party boats were bored, during the off season...

a few went out for squid and brought back squid by the ton

The boat was lowered in the water by the weight of the squid they had taken...amazing trips to be sure

out of bodega

mike22ca
08-26-2005, 12:00 PM
This last winter when the party boats were bored, during the off season...

a few went out for squid and brought back squid by the ton

The boat was lowered in the water by the weight of the squid they had taken...amazing trips to be sure

out of bodega

Yup, me and a buddy did the same thing on Rick Powers boat. It was amazing. Believe it or not, it's a helluva fight man. I caught 32 of them, and that had to be the most whipped Ive ever been. Good eatin and they also make for good bait.

Rusty_Hooks
08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Mike....you got to go...

I got to read about it :-/

And man do I like Calamari ;)

There still there....you just have to take advantage of the moment!!....like you did ;D ;D

You must have a bait freezer :o

mike22ca
08-26-2005, 03:48 PM
I think everyone I know ended up with a little squid. We ate a lot of it though. Just used a little for bait when going rock/ling fishing. I remember the last time when we went when this old man got blasted in the face with the jet of water lol...that would have to suck. At least it wasn't ink though. The cups on their tentacles are hella sharp. I went to pull my jig out of the center of the wriggling mass of arms a couple times and freakin left some kinda lacerations on my hands.

Rusty_Hooks
08-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Gee....you'de think they were pissed off or....... ???

They're pissed off...and aggressive..... >:( >:(

I would have loved to have had the time to go...maybe this season!!

Start cleaning out the freezer!!

Team_Sheryl_Lee
08-28-2005, 03:51 PM
i played deck hand on one trip to the squid grounds
3 of us gaffed 21 thousand pounds in 2 and 1/2 hours
you think you were tired
then had to help clean the boat
what a mess
crabbing was good
i became a dumpster diver for bait
loaded them pots with 10-15 lbs of bait
bodega thieves got their share

TSL

bydesign
08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
The Fish & Game predicted an outstanding year for salmon. Has anyone else noticed that very few schools of small salmon have been around the coast of Calif this season? It seems the squid showed up by the millions and for some reason the expected large schools of salmon did not.

I understand the squid are voracious feeders and must have been feeding on something.