PDA

View Full Version : 8-27-05 Potluck on the Happy Hooker

dbass
08-26-2005, 11:35 AM
I know will be doing a live bait trip and they been going out for lings and cod, a fellow fisherman informed me that the cod would attack the bait before it got down where the lings hang out. He suggested that I should take along some scampys. What color should I take, any other suggestions?

VS
08-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't think it matters much. Pick a mix of light and dark colors (white, green, brown, sparkles etc). Size matters for lings, so bigger is better (~5-8"), and larger rock fish will still be caught. Have a selection of jig head sizes, 4 oz being the one I use most for shallow water. If you get lucky that bottom "snag" will turn into a ling. Big hex bars (12-16 oz) for big lings work, but I doubt this is practical on the HH, and certainly not for lighter tackle.

FishnRN
08-26-2005, 02:19 PM
If you wanna catch ling cod, I got the sure fire method, but it will cost you 1 million dollars! I just got back from a 3 day trip up north in Crescent City, I haven't posted a report yet cuz I wanna post pics and haven't got the disk back yet, anyhow, big lings.
Start off fishing with whatever set up they give you to catch your normal rock fish. Once you catch a "Sea Trout", you can use a 3oz jig head or a 3oz diamond jig with a treble hook. Either way, hook the sea trout through the bottom of the lip and then out the top of the mouth, try and get the mouth to close, this prevents the sea trout from being quite as active when you send his ass back down deep. Drop that ol' trout to the bottom, (really cool way to fish also because it almost eliminates the possibility of getting snagged!) and jig it up and down slowly, make as big of jig motion as you can, I would say around 8 feet or so. I gorunteeee you will have that "special snag" in no time. Pull them up nice and slowly and don't let the ling get to the surface or they will spit the bait and be gone. If you are pulling one up and it suddenly lets go of your bait-IMMEDIATELY drop that sea trout back down a few feet and begin jigging again, I had this happen three times and all three times the ling bit back onto my trout. I actually got to witness this when it happen about 15' from the surface, twice-it was awesome to watch! Anyhow, as usual, when you see color call for the gaff and have them sling that badboy into the boat.
The first two days I fished I got three limits of lings, (mine, my bro-in-law, and my friend) on the third day I already had so much fish that I was handing my rod off to people who weren't having such a good day as I was, after I landed three. I will be posting pics soon to back up my claims.
You do this friend and like I said, I gorunteee you catch some lingcod! Don't forget you also get 10 rockfish, I was having too much fun and didn't even bother messing with the other rockfish.
Anyhow, I think I covered it pretty good, if you have any questions I'll be glad to help in anyway. If I was available I'd love to come along and go fishing, but...
Good Luck, email with any questions, BennieDimas@yahoo.com
-FishnRN, (Ben)

dbass
08-26-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the (GREAT) info. Let you sniffers know on Monday how we did! ;D

CORN
08-27-2005, 05:29 AM
For lings, I've done best using 6 inch root beer colored scampis or 7" Fatbaits in Coco Loco, Bling Bling, or Green Feen:

http://www.fatbait.com/

Good luck Monday.

Rusty_Hooks
08-27-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the link corn ;)

Those look pretty good ;)

CORN
08-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the link corn ;)

Those look pretty good ;)

No problem. They're a little pricey, but they work. Good luck.

dbass
08-29-2005, 07:15 AM
Here it goes, limits of cod, blues, blacks and quillbacks, small but chunky 3-4 lbs and a limit of lings 6-8 lbs. The HH, most likely is oldest and slowest boat out there. I think will book the Goldeneye next time, they were out and back before us with looked like heavier bags, never got chance to try the ling setups, but a few othe anglers tried without sucess. The lings I caught came off the bottom using anchovies. Thanks for info, goinr out of bodega next month will try it again. Tight lines :)

mike22ca
08-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Some good guys to go with are Quan and his bro.