PDA

View Full Version : 8/26 Santa Cruz Skiffin

AllFishNoWork
08-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Holly and I headed to SC for a day fishin on one of the skiffs. We got there a little late, 9:30am, because I missed an exit in San Jose, twice :-[ But there was no problem getting a boat as only 2 others had been rented and we were able to park right next to the boat hoist.

We started out to the lighthouse, but didn't pick up anything there. We headed farther north almost to the state park. The drift was very fast and we weren't able to keep out baits on the bottom , so we pretty much just targeted blues and blacks.

We found a school out in front of the big white house with a red tile roof. We caught fish each pass thru, but didn't have much luck elsewhere. We made 4 or 5 passes thru the school and then called it a day. The ocean kicked up a bit and we were getting bounced around pretty good, not to mention wet. We brought home the best 8 we caught will be having rockfish enchiladas tommorow night :D *8)

We went in, had lunch at Celitas ;D and fished off the pier for bit. I got 2 starfish 8) and Holly got something that resembled a grunion ???

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/8946/sc49lf.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Another fun day at the Ocean for the AllFishes.

AllFishNoWork
08-27-2005, 07:44 AM
All signs point to the fish being a jacksmelt, learn something new everyday :D

pulper80
08-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Sounds like fun Allfish, Pink Lady and I fish off that pier almost every weekend. Jack Smelt and mackerel are by far the most common thing caught out there, although last weekend my buddy brought up an undersized ling cod.

I love catching mackerel there because they are such good bait for everything! When I get one, I take it home and freeze it for bait the next time on the pier or catfishing. The meat is very oily and pungent.

I find the jack smelt too bony to keep, but if you want you can slow cook them and eat the bones like a canned sardine.

Flipper266
08-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Its always fun catching those guys......
Line in the water beats no line in the water... 8)

HollyWentFishin
08-27-2005, 08:53 AM
LOL we didn't keep the jacksmelt, it went back to find another bait to be fooled by. I've only fished on 2 piers now, and by far SC is the finest. It's just a great environment to be in, even if the starfish are purple and scary :). As I was reeling in my squid, something much more substantial grabbed it and took off. It was very exciting, but unfortunately it let go..wish I could have gotten a glimpse of it!

wading2fish
08-27-2005, 10:22 AM
If you do keep and eat jacksmelt be sure to cook it very thoroughly. They have a high rate of ringworm infestation. When I catch jacksmelt mostly I throw em back, but once in awhile I'll bait one on a 6/0 octopus hook or bigger and throw it out as live bait.

w2f

pulper80
08-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Yep, that'll get the lings. The undersized ling my buddy caught was on a live surf perch hooked through the dorsal fin.

I don't eat jack smelt either, I just wanted to try it one time. I will try to eat any new fish at least once just for the experience (except a crap).

AllFishNoWork
08-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Yep, that'll get the lings. *The undersized ling my buddy caught was on a live surf perch hooked through the dorsal fin.

I don't eat jack smelt either, I just wanted to try it one time. *I will try to eat any new fish at least once just for the experience (except a crap).

I pay $100 to see that ;D
;D

Rusty_Hooks
08-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Both jacksmelt and mackrel make good trailers for lings..

Fillet the whole thing and leave the tail on one side...

Split the fillets down the middle so you have four pieces roughly the same length...

Double hook the heavy section of one of the fillets on the bottom or as a trailer to a hex bar...

Leave most of the fillet swimming in the breeze...it drives ling cod crazy...all that wiggling and waggling ;D ;D ::)

Sounds like you two have made the week once again!! ;)

SEEKER
08-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Will be hitting up SC very soon. Its just about time to hang some albies. TIGHT LINES, Rich