PDA

View Full Version : Crab is a little watery

Zebco Kid
11-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Hello All,

Just getting into crabbing. Brought home my catch, steamed it, and dunked it into ice water to cool it, removed it and put it in the refrigerator. Guests arrived a couple hours later for a fresh crab feast.

The crab tasted good, but it was a little watery. How can I avoid that?

Thank you.

Line Stretcher
11-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Hello All,

Just getting into crabbing. Brought home my catch, steamed it, and dunked it into ice water to cool it, removed it and put it in the refrigerator. Guests arrived a couple hours later for a fresh crab feast.

The crab tasted good, but it was a little watery. How can I avoid that?

Thank you.

You can steam them rather than boil. You need a steamer that has a basket to put the live crab in so they don't sit in the water. You can still add your crab boil mix to the water, the flavors will steam into the crabs much the same as if you boil them.

salmonid
11-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Were the watery crab the ones with soft shells?

We always toss the soft ones back to get a little bigger.

Best,

Zebco Kid
11-26-2013, 08:13 AM
No,

They all seemed to retain too much water. Kind of a puddle on the plate during the meal. Had to provide fresh plates.

Thanks for the input on the soft ones. I didn't know what's going on. Even though they are the right size, they're not good for eating. Lesson learned.

cptdarel
12-20-2013, 08:09 PM
I don't think there is a magic answer, as any old crab eater knows, crab in it's self is a crap shoot, not to talk about the fresh ones you toss in live, open the crab and it's body meat is black!!

Seon
12-21-2013, 06:19 AM
I didn't read that you broke the legs and body off the hard shell so maybe that's what you'll need to do before placing them in the frig. But I do agree about the recent crabs I steamed were somewhat "watery".