PDA

View Full Version : Tides, Depths, Time & Crabs

Zebco Kid
11-25-2013, 04:08 PM
So I want to go crabbing at Bodega this weekend, but I see that the tide is going out all day long. I've been told that the best tide is on the incoming.

So the question is whether it's so significant that I ought to do something else, or just do it anyway?

My next question has to do with depth. I've been told that the bigger crabs are out deeper. So I've tried 25 feet and 60 feet. No difference. Any thoughts?

Finally, I've left pots for 10 minutes and had a few, and I've left them for an hour and had a few. Conversely, I've soaked them for 10 and 1 hour, and been skunked on both. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

simplycook
11-25-2013, 05:31 PM
I'll share some of my experience with crabbing.
General rule, if one spot isn't producing, then try another spot. Around the GGB area, I like to drop pots just past the outer sand bar. Sometimes this bar is at 30ft deep, and sometimes I've seen it at 60ft. I think most of the guys around Bodega are dropping pots in 50ft+ depths.

Soaking time and depth is relative. If you drop a baited pot among crabs, then it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to fill the pot. If you drop it in a deserted area, then you might not even get one no matter how long you soak.

For tide, I seemed to do best around slack tide. Low tide, high tide, didn't matter. Maybe the calmer movement of water allows the crabs to move more freely in search of food.

The best advice I could give you is dropping pots in a variety of places. Try looking for calm water, structure, drop offs, etc...

Or, just drop pots around other pots. The local guys know where to drop pots and be successful. Look for a cluster of floats, and drop a few nearby.

WHT.RUS
11-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Just like Deadliest Catch! Gotta set those pots, if its not producing, keep on moving. Then figure out which way they move. Next year; you're a pro!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Zebco Kid
11-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Thanks you guys. Really appreciate it. See you out there.