PDA

View Full Version : Fishing off a boat in the SF bay

herefisheyfishey
08-27-2005, 07:19 AM
Instead of me asking 20 questions on where and how can someone point me to some general info on how to drift live bait or dead bait, One of my coworkers has a boat and would like to learn to fish the oyster point area

Collegebound
08-27-2005, 10:17 AM
I'll assume your trying for butts and bass. I landed my first striper out of oyster point. Go to Wal-mart and buy some of the live bait halibut rigs. they work for striper sharks and ray too. Bait shop mike at the oyster point tackle shop will give you pointers too if you ask, but buy his bait first and he'll be more likely to give better tips. The shiner perch he sells work fine for everything. if you're cheap than bring an ultralight rod with some white jigs and throw 'em out for smelt or shiner to use as bait. For the rigs use a mooching rod and reel and tie the rigs with an 1/2 to 1 ounce egg weight sinker. Put the bait on with the nose harness and put the hook in the tail of the baitt. Stick your rod over the side and let it down. when it hits the bottom pull up on yuour rod again to put some more line out then put it in gear and stick it in the rod holder. remember to set the drag. As you go the rod should be bent slighly and tapping every coup0le seconds. A bite will put a much larger bend in the rod. When you leave the marina always go thru the series of two posts or else tyou may beach on a sandbar. You can drift anywhere outside the harbor but the best areas seem to be near the airport or candlestick park. Depending on what kind of boat you have it is advisable to get off the water before 11am. The winds always kick up in the afternoon.

Hope this helps
Mike