PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Giving Treats

Line Stretcher
11-26-2013, 12:06 PM
This morning I filleted 1 15lb salmon, 2 10lb Steelhead and 1 4lb Eagle Lake trout.

My brine is a new one to me. It consists of 2 cups of non-iodized Sea Salt, 4 cups brown sugar, 1 cup Lawry's seasoning mix. This is a dry mix.

I put a thin layer on the bottom of a 4 large 2" deep pyrex baking pans then laid the first layer of fish skin down. I spread another layer of the mix over the top of them and drizzled molasses over that.

The next layer went skin up with no additional seasoning and then all the pans got water added to them.

Before I added the water, there was a remarkable amount of water already pulled out of the meat. I was actually a little scared that it would pull too much moisture out but there wasn't much threat of that after I added the additional water.

In retrospect, I think next time I'll debone the fillets and get them ready to drop in before hand. I was deboning and place them in as I went.

It took me about an hour to prep it all.

The meat will stay in the brine mix for about 1-1/2 hours and then they will be patted dry and placed on drying racks until they develop a pellicle (tacky surface). That may take several hours.

I've got my fingers crossed on this batch but if it doesn't work out I still have more than enough fish for another run.

Line Stretcher
11-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Interesting recipe. It took around 5 hours for the pellicle to form. I put the first batch in at 4:00pm and now it looks like I'm going to up all night babysitting the smoker.

One of the things about this recipe that makes it more difficult is that there's no throwing it in the fridge and taking a break. The brining happens fast but the drying is slow and you can't fudge on either one.

I picked equal amounts of each fish for the first smoker run. We'll have to see if leaving the rest to dry longer has any affect on the final product. I'm hoping it doesn't.

Next time I'll give myself more time and do smaller batches or build a gigantic smoker!

monkey916
11-26-2013, 07:44 PM
sgs1... is that in your little cheif?...

Line Stretcher
11-26-2013, 07:49 PM
sgs1... is that in your little cheif?...

Yes. It's going to take forever to get it all done. I sort of over did it. LOL.

monkey916
11-26-2013, 07:58 PM
Yes. It's going to take forever to get it all done. I sort of over did it. LOL.
yes it is... lol... i had some on for 10 hrs today...you'll be fine... put some chips in and chill...you feel tired... put a new batch of chips in and sleep through the night...it won't be done when you wake up... too cold...

Line Stretcher
11-26-2013, 08:03 PM
yes it is... lol... i had some on for 10 hrs today...you'll be fine... put some chips in and chill...you feel tired... put a new batch of chips in and sleep through the night...it won't be done when you wake up... too cold...

I've got it in the garage and my frigging eyes are burning! LOL.. I'm seriously looking at a bucket of diesel that I drained out of the fuel pump on my truck.. Nah...

monkey916
11-26-2013, 09:05 PM
not saying to do this sgs1... i have a piece of plywood... a little bit bigger than the bottom of my little chief... with 4 casters on it...like what mechanics use... when you put a pan of chips on... wheel it outside... till it quits smoking... bring back inside garage for few hours of no smoke... and repeat...not sure this is an option for you...

Line Stretcher
11-26-2013, 09:16 PM
not saying to do this sgs1... i have a piece of plywood... a little bit bigger than the bottom of my little chief... with 4 casters on it...like what mechanics use... when you put a pan of chips on... wheel it outside... till it quits smoking... bring back inside garage for few hours of no smoke... and repeat...not sure this is an option for you...

That is an option and a great idea. I just pulled the first batch out and put the second one in. I leave the garage door open until it quits smoking and then close it. That's working ok. It took about 5 hours to complete the first batch so I'll let it go now and set the alarm clock.

The flavor is excellent. I think I'm going to put this on my top ten list. I got the recipe on Salmon Trout and Steelheader and modified it for the amount I was doing.

Time to put the head to the pillow for a while.

fishingfrieda
11-26-2013, 09:17 PM
That sounds really good Steve!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Line Stretcher
11-27-2013, 11:08 AM
The first batch ended up being a little under dried, the second batch turned out great but it was in all night. I pulled the skin off he first batch, sprayed the racks with Pam and put them back in.

The Lil' Chief Smoker works great but this time of year its more of a cold smoker. I think I'll go see what I have laying around that I can build a better one out of. Ahhh another winter project!

monkey916
11-27-2013, 02:12 PM
cool sgs1... glad you got that mission accomplished...:smile:

Line Stretcher
11-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Left over Turkey, Ham, Dressing, Potatoes, Salad, Geen Bean casserole. No left over Pumpkin Pie, no left over Smoked Fish.. I guess it turned out o.k.

As a side note: After I put the first batch back in without the skin and tasted the results I decided to do the same with the second batch. I think it really got the smoked flavor into the meat and wasn't dry at all. I'm afraid to try it skinless from the start. I didn't have good results with that on a previous batch I did with a different process.