PDA

View Full Version : Rockfish and outgoing tides

GrizzMan
11-26-2013, 02:34 PM
We'll be hitting Santa Cruz this weekend and after checking the tides, I learned that almost the entire day will consist of an outgoing tide. I usually time everything to fish the incoming tide. Has anyone done well on Rockfish or Ling Cod during the outgoing tide?

I'll report back with results. Hoping to get some crab too.

Get em...

FishKiller 37
12-01-2013, 04:11 PM
We'll be hitting Santa Cruz this weekend and after checking the tides, I learned that almost the entire day will consist of an outgoing tide. I usually time everything to fish the incoming tide. Has anyone done well on Rockfish or Ling Cod during the outgoing tide?

I'll report back with results. Hoping to get some crab too.

Get em...
I would really like to get some input on this topic also. I went out last weekend to bodega and fished the whole incoming and killed the lings, rockies and crab. I went out yesterday and fished the outgoing and it was completely dead. The swells were probably 10' and it was hard to keep my gear on the bottom.

GrizzMan
12-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Fished the Monterey area hard on the outgoing tide on Friday. Ended the day with about 12 ling cod and ~20 rock fish. Fish were smaller and the bite was inconsistent. I think that the outgoing tide slowed things down a bit, as I usually land more and bigger fish. Spoke to a buddy of mine who said the incoming is better because it brings in oxygenated water. I thought that was an interesting theory. Will post photos soon, but most fish came off of the outside edge of the kelp. All on big hammers and 2oz heads.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk