PDA

View Full Version : skunked at Amador

fishingfrieda
11-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Me, my daughter and son arrived at Amador around 8 am. We paid our fees at the cafe and headed for the boat docs. This was our first time and we really didnt know where to fish. The water is so low we were a little limited. We fished from the docks for a couple hrs. We threw cast masters, rooster tails and a couple other lures we had for notta. We soaked worms and power bait for notta. Finally the boy gets a fish on and he's so excited! He didn't try to horse it. Another little boy wanted to reel it in and my son let him. It was lost at the dock. Boo. Im really proud of my son that he wanted to share though. Caught on bobber with pb. Then we spent an hr. by the spill way. Nothing. We tried everything. Another hr. By the docks and we were done. We didnt see very many caught. Everyone there said it was a slow day. We had a good day though. It was great weather. Got the kids out of the house!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

monkey916
11-26-2013, 08:03 PM
sounds like fun ff... just so you know... that lake is only slow when i'm there also...lol...

Line Stretcher
11-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Gem, don't they have a fishing pond there? Your boy seems a little to sharp for that though. He'd probably think it was o.k. but not real fishing.

It's pretty slow everywhere around this time of year. The fish are fat and happy and just hanging out waiting for the solstice to signal them that the dark day's are over and it's time to make whoopee. They'll come back to life after that and the cycle begins again.

The exception to the rule is STEELHEAD.. I've got the fever sumpin fierce this year. I finally get to fish without the pressure of guiding and I'm soooo excited.

WhopperStopper
11-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Aww man...I feel totally bad right now as I suggested Amador would be a good place to take kids. Frieda, I hope you don't hate me for suggesting Amador. Its usually pretty good there and normally I can count on at least a few fish. The successful techniques there are very simple but yet also very specific. I'm sorry if you went because you took my suggestion. Now I feel like a bad guy or at least a fool who don't know what he's talking about.

fishingfrieda
11-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks for comiserating with me guys! Whopper please do not feel bad! I have been seeing posts on here and really wanted to go. Been trying to for a couple weeks. It was over all a good experience. My boy talked everyones ears off with his really cool fishing stories. Lol. But if you have kids and are going, you better have some tough kids. Its a walk down to the lake with a lot of shale. I want to go back in maybe 3 weeks and try again. Whopper please feel free to pm me any secrets! I think we did give it our all and everything in our tackle box.

fishingfrieda
11-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Gem, don't they have a fishing pond there? Your boy seems a little to sharp for that though. He'd probably think it was o.k. but not real fishing.

It's pretty slow everywhere around this time of year. The fish are fat and happy and just hanging out waiting for the solstice to signal them that the dark day's are over and it's time to make whoopee. They'll come back to life after that and the cycle begins again.

The exception to the rule is STEELHEAD.. I've got the fever sumpin fierce this year. I finally get to fish without the pressure of guiding and I'm soooo excited.

No fishing pond that I was made aware if and yes Bronson would have been mad! Unless there was blue gill. Then he would have been happy!

Hair Bear
11-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Isn't Amador pretty much just a pond right now?

fishingfrieda
11-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Isn't Amador pretty much just a pond right now?

Not ever seeing it when it was full I can see how those that have could say this. It still looks better than Folsom lake though.

D Fish
11-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Me, my daughter and son arrived at Amador around 8 am. We paid our fees at the cafe and headed for the boat docs. This was our first time and we really didnt know where to fish. The water is so low we were a little limited. We fished from the docks for a couple hrs. We threw cast masters, rooster tails and a couple other lures we had for notta. We soaked worms and power bait for notta. Finally the boy gets a fish on and he's so excited! He didn't try to horse it. Another little boy wanted to reel it in and my son let him. It was lost at the dock. Boo. Im really proud of my son that he wanted to share though. Caught on bobber with pb. Then we spent an hr. by the spill way. Nothing. We tried everything. Another hr. By the docks and we were done. We didnt see very many caught. Everyone there said it was a slow day. We had a good day though. It was great weather. Got the kids out of the house!

Yes it was SUPER slow!! quite a few people fishing today. A buddy and I fished there all day today for nada, pretty sure I was next to you and your kids.. Your lil boy is pretty smart! ha I am going to give it a few weeks or so, we def. need some rain.. I never seen the water that low! My buddy and I want to go somewhere tomorrow.. Debating if we should go down to the delta around Rio Vista for some stripers or hit a lake for some trout..

buckman78
11-26-2013, 09:43 PM
I've had my fair share of skunkings at many lakes, but Amador is the worst. Maybe it's the dreams of grandeur of a fish every cast. Zero fish at Amador is aweful, but once you get that place figured out and have a stellar day there, it's a GREAT day. At Amador you can get both sides of the spectrum.

Marv
11-26-2013, 09:53 PM
That's Amador :) all or nothing. Slamador or skunkador, no in between.

Super cool of your son to share the joy of reeling one in on what sounds like a slow day. I use to be that way, still am, if I'm fishing and a kid is around they are free to take over. I'm happiest when the people around me are happy.

Jfitalia
11-26-2013, 09:58 PM

Amador has a swimming pond. They do not have a fishing pond. The lake also doesn't have holdovers. It's purely a put and trout fishing so there aren't a bunch of fish hugging the bottom there fat and sassy waiting to spawn.

fishingfrieda
11-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Hey D fish, if you see us again say hello! Yes that kid is smart he absorbs alot!
I definently had big dreams of big fish every cast and that did make it worse! Marv, skunkador is funny and fitting of today lol! On a last note, I wanted to see my son catch that fish. But I cant tell you how proud I am that he just handed the pole over without a split second of selfish thought. He's a very smart caring little guy.

Katfish
11-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Hey FF sounds like a great day!! We will have to make our trip happen soon as the rains come through :)

Glad to see you got out with the kids. Sounds like your boy is wise beyond his years. :) future sniffer and we love to see it.

Your always welcome to join me at Collins :)

Thanks again for a good read :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2