PDA

View Full Version : camanche 11/27 worst day in a long time

buckman78
11-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Well hit camanche for a solo mission to clear my head and catch some fish. Been going through some really rough times with the recent loss of my brother in law and figured some open water and fishing would do me some good.
Set everything up the night before, I got real sick, then my daughter decided she didn't feel like sleeping and neither should we.
left an hour and a half later then I planned, sick as heck and on water by 830. Trolled from boat launch with the "koke machine" set up. One orange grub and white power egg and the other pole with a white grub and pink power egg, both scented and trolling at lowest setting on trolling motor of 1.8mph.
nothing for first hour so headed to narrows, still nothing, now 3 hours into fishing and still no love. Decided to pick up the pace and troll an orange rapalla and vampire rapalla. Still nothing so decided to head back to north shore. I left poles in water and just picked up the pace to about 5mph. Actually had a fish hit going that fast out of the narrows. Wasn't expecting it and lost it.
Back in front of ramp got both lures stuck as water went from 20 ft to 1 ft deep out of no where in between ramp and house boats. Then started trolling again and lines got severely tangled. Contemplated calling it a day at 1230 after 4 1/2 hours and only one hit. But decided to keep at it and Trolled the right side of the ramp out to the open water and back. After another hour and one drive by, decided to call it and troll in. Almost to ramp, look over and my rod is pumping. Figured it weeds, but to my surprise it was a fish. He swam right toward me, then saw boat and started fighting. He was a decent 3 lbs plus and my heart was pumping. Grabbed the net and swooped at him but missed. Got him back to boat and right when I was coming up with the net behind him and he turned and hooked the lure in the and he swam to live another day.
officially rejected, I headed in. Normally I would let the fish fight a little more and tire him out, but I got too excited.
As if my day wasn't bad enough I slipped off my truck loading up the boat, landing in the water and cutting up my hand something fierce on the trailer.
Over all it was better then sitting at home but with all that time on my hands and no fish to keep my mind off things, it just made for a long, long day.
On the way home I swore off fishing, but as I'm typing this I am chalking up this day as a one off and that i was rusty and already looking to plan a trip this saturday.
These types of trips are awful, but they make the good days that much more enjoyable!

Troutoholic
11-28-2013, 01:51 PM
You gotta have a few bad days to make the good ones great! That's fishin, trust me we have all been there. I fish a lot of the truckee (toughie) and it deals me out plenty of no fish days. Other times I'm the guy catching all the fish. Hang in there buddy :) - TO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

n2trout
11-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your tough day on the water. Sounds like a great day of catching should be right around the corner for you. I am sure you already know it but if there is anyway you can get your speed down to 1.2 to 1.4 those grubs will start catching you a lot more fish. I know it seems insane to think that slight variation in speed between 1.4 and 1.8 could actually make that much of a difference but in my opinion it really does. I think 1.6 is about where I top out with the grubs and that is when I am just trying to change up the pace when I haven't had any luck yet. Other than that I totally agree troutoholic. Some days you are the Top Hat other days you are the shoe. lol

Jfitalia
11-28-2013, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hear about the tough day. One tip I'll give, is 1.8 is pretty fast for grubs. I normally run grubs slow at 1 to 1.2mph. That's just me though. Maybe koke machine will chime in.

Koke Machine83
11-29-2013, 06:37 PM
Yes, that might be a bit fast... I always keep the speed between 1.3 to 1.5 GPS When you leave the North Shore Ramp, If you turn into the House Boat Parking Lot,,, Be really careful in there... The Depths change really fast... Stay to the middle and turn back to the middle...

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

Line Stretcher
11-29-2013, 07:21 PM
O.K. so now you have a wound that will leave a scar that will remind you for the rest of your life about the one that got away. Come on, it doesn't get any better than that!

Seriously though, I can't tell you how many times I've sworn off fishing after a bad day. I got skunked last Sunday and played it off to lack of enthusiasm. The truth is I got skunked.

I pulled out my logs when this past week and yep, pretty much same thing for the past several years at that lake and it doesn't look any more promising for tomorrow but the boat is hooked up and I'm going anyway.

If by some strange miracle I wind up getting into the fish that will be cool but if not, I'll be able to put a few more setups on my list of things that don't work this time of year.

What I'm trying to say I guess is that each time you go you learn something and maybe, just maybe you stumble across the key to catching the fish. Its a conquest for success and I think that's why I fish where I do even though the catching is very often not that great.

I have to caution you though. If you fish where the fishing is tough and learn to do it well, you will be bored when you go somewhere that the fishing is generally always good. You may resort to taking your buddies and get the label "Show Off".
Take care.

buckman78
11-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Well your right sgs1, lessons learned, scars and all. Thanks guys. This was the first time I Trolled with a gps mph gage, and honestly I thought 1.8 felt too slow. I have been trolling way too fast this whole time! As much as a bummer this trip was, I am over it and looking forward to the next one. My trips are limited these days with 2 jobs and a 2 yr old, so I try to make them count.
Just picked up my "new to me" boat, and plan on totally redeeming myself next week!

Line Stretcher
11-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Good attitude.. By the way, I nailed them this morning. Nobody was where I was except bass fisherman and we weren't in the creeks.

Some day's you shine and others you whine. It's fishin!