PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in CA - Public Land?

WHT.RUS
11-28-2013, 03:47 PM
So Ive made my mind and am going to purchase a 870 and give hunting a try next year. I do have some questions.

Are there any good public spots to do some pheasant + duck hunting? Not looking to buy a spot at blind.

Ive read here that one cannot hunt off a levee, but can you hunt of a tin can in the canal?

Knowing that there are different species of ducks, are they hard to tell apart from one another? What if you accidentally killed the wrong species?

If anyone can help with some of these questions, it will be appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Waterdog
11-29-2013, 02:47 PM
At first I thought this post was a joke. You seem to have a casual and cavalier attitude towards hunting. Hunting is not just buying a shotgun and blasting away killing things. It appears that you have not even taken the required hunter safety course. Besides safety we teach hunting rules and regulations, different kinds of hunting and some species Identity and a number of other things(I am a former hunter safety instructor.). If you had taken the course you wouldn't be asking these questions as you would know the answers.
there is little decent pheasant hunting on public land in Ca. Also without a well trained hunting dog you will never see a pheasant. If you get lucky enough to actually shoot a pheasant you will probably never recover it without a trained dog. You can only take male pheasants, roosters, I hope you know the difference. If you do not learn to identify waterfowl species you shouldn't hunt until you can. Taking an illegal duck or goose is like catching and keeping a 6 inch striped bass, it's illegal. If you are indeed serious about hunting take the hunter safety course and then find a experienced hunter that will properly teach you about hunting.

IronClad
11-29-2013, 03:39 PM
SOOOOOOOOO much that ! Getting into hunting is nothing like say getting into fishing. You have to know the regulations and you HAVE to know what you are shooting at because you cant just let the duck/goose/quail/whatever go back into the wild. If you dont know what you are aiming at you have absolutely no business pulling the trigger.

CRABBY
11-29-2013, 04:26 PM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!:129fs238648:

WHT.RUS
11-29-2013, 05:10 PM
If you read my post, you can see that I've mentioned that I don't have a gun. That means I probably wouldn't have a hunting license of completed the 8 hour safety course. I don't have any hunting buddies which is why decided to ask on here. As a legal fisherman, I wouldn't dare to illegally hunt which is why I seeker advice.

Now for the useful info, I do thank you.

Hof
11-29-2013, 07:49 PM
WHT.RUS. Good luck entering the hunting world. like everything there is etiquite to follow but you have to be out there to learn. Sounds like the wildlife refuges in your area would be the best option for ducks. The guys that work the check stations are usually very helpful. If you get there early enough I am sure they will be glad to answer a lot of your questions and point you in the right direction. I would research the most common ducks found in the area you are hunting, study what they look like, and that will give you something to focus on when you hunt. Shooting one of something usually isn't a problem unless the area is closed for that species. . Making sure you don't shoot over your limit of a certain species is where guys usually get into trouble. Try to go with someone who hunts a lot to show you the ropes but if that person doesn't exist a guide wouldn't be a bad idea either. You wouldn't be on a refuge but you could ask a lot of questions and get some good shooting in. I would also recommend getting reservations before going to free roam areas on refuges. In many places a reservation will get you a secluded spot that others cant enter and you wont be around as much competition. Takes some of the pressure off and you might learn more. pheasants are hard to find on public land but not impossible. Many pheasant hunters buy into a club or purchase bird cards from clubs and hunt that way. Many of them have dog rentals ifyou don't have your own dog.

What I would do when you get your gun is go and shoot a lot of sporting clays. That is great way to get acclimated to your gun and learn to shoot from different angles.

Hunting is a great activity and the more responsible people we get in the outdoors the betters. If you do it right, stay safe, and take your time you will be rewarded with some great memories. Id be happy to answer any questions you have as you go through the process so feel free to P.M me.

Hof

Waterdog
11-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Had you planned your post and thought out your questions a little better you would have got a different response. The people on this board are friendly , knowledgible and very helpful people. Hunting and fishing are two of my passions in life and I am always willing and happy to teach and assist anyone who wants help, assistance, knowledge in these activities. I have 50 years experience hunting and fishing and always enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience.
it is kind of strange though that you admit you don't really know much about hunting but of the hundreds of shotguns out there you know exactly which one you are going to buy for hunting. (The 870 just happens to be one of the best and most dependable shotguns for waterfowl and upland game out there. It is one of the most proven shotguns for hunting at a very moderate price). Anyway if you are serious about hunting and have some thoughtful questions about the sport I would be happy to help you. The more younger people we can get afield the better for the sport and the better for this country.

monkey916
11-29-2013, 10:25 PM
i will answer any questions you have... to the best of my ability... like hof and waterdog said...it's all good... pm. me... no worries...if you have more questions to post in the forum... post them... there was 1 day... when we all had the same questions...

WHT.RUS
11-30-2013, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the info HOF, monkey and waterdog. I did a bit a research about the shotguns, and most of the sites I went to mentioned the 870 being the most dependable shotgun. I do have many questions but I guess I have to take the safety class first and see if it answers some of them. Thanks guys.

DRF
12-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the info HOF, monkey and waterdog. I did a bit a research about the shotguns, and most of the sites I went to mentioned the 870 being the most dependable shotgun. I do have many questions but I guess I have to take the safety class first and see if it answers some of them. Thanks guys.

I thought it was a joke too..:stirthepot:

Still do to an extent..
Based on your Original post and questions.

Not only should you study your hunter safety handbook you should also be studding the regulations as well. Here is another piece of advice, carry the regulations with you when your hunting.

WHT.RUS
12-01-2013, 07:43 AM
I thought it was a joke too..:stirthepot:

Still do to an extent..
Based on your Original post and questions.

Not only should you study your hunter safety handbook you should also be studding the regulations as well. Here is another piece of advice, carry the regulations with you when your hunting.

A person with 0, nada, zilch hunting experience would have the most ridiculous questions. Maybe mine were the most ridiculous you've seen but Im not ashamed that I've asked. I don't know anything about hunting and will learn one way or another.

DRF
12-01-2013, 12:45 PM
My skepticism comes from when you asked about hunting the levees or ditches. There was a heated discussion just a few threads down about that topic. It just seemed like you where stirring that pot based on your OP...

WHT.RUS
12-01-2013, 12:59 PM
[QUOTE=WHT.RUS;974374]A person with 0, nada, zilch hunting experience would have the most ridiculous questions. Maybe mine were the most ridiculous you've seen but Im not ashamed that I've asked. I don't know anything about hunting and will learn one way or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My skepticism comes from when you asked about hunting the levees or ditches. There was a heated discussion just a few threads down about that topic. It just seemed like you where stirring that pot based on your OP...

Non at all. I have scanned though that thread before it was closed/deleted without finding out in the end whether you were allowed to hunt them or not. Which is why part of my OP asked about the levees.

DRF
12-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Your best bet now would be to contact the area manager for the wildlife area you plan to hunt and ask them if there are any new regulations they have adopted for that WLA. Just because it says one thing doesn't mean it holds true. Each WLA has its own set of rules a contact person and maps..

Good luck hunting.

CRABBY
12-01-2013, 01:58 PM
WHT.RUS
Non at all. I have scanned though that thread before it was closed/deleted without finding out in the end whether you were allowed to hunt them or not. Which is why part of my OP asked about the levees.

Good for you Kiddo,never be afraid to ask Q's that's how we all learn,young an old !!!Read all ya can but be aware just because you read it somewhere,inc. here,don't make it legal or right!!Do the hunter safety thing an you'll get some good legal,moral,an safty advice......Don

Waterdog
12-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Here is what I suggest for you to get started. First find a place where you can take the hunter safety course. Read and study the book you get with the course. The course covers a lot in addition to safety. You will learn a lot. Then get your license. Next I would suggest booking a hunt with a good waterfowl guide that is willing to work and teach you during the hunt. After that come back here and ask all the questions you want, we will provide answers.

TheWeasel
12-03-2013, 05:38 PM
its so cute when somebody thinks they can just start duck hunting. You basically have to be born into it. I'm not sayin its like becoming a Spartan or a Jedi, the best thing I would say is to get your basic necessities, and go on a few guided hunts. If I was tech savvy I would make an "one does not simply become a duck hunter" meme for ya. Unless you have a bunch of buddies that hunt, learning by yourself is gonna suck. You gotta do your homework if you wanna hunt on public land. You better fork out the dough, cause its gonna get expensive quick. And you don't have to have an 870, mossbergs are just as good. All I can say is do your homework, and spend your money wisely.

Cali Duck
12-03-2013, 06:10 PM
I'm in the same boat WHT.RUS, and I will be watching this thread as well. Seems very difficult to get into hunting when you don't have someone to show you the ropes.

I have several guns, including an 870, and am a good shot at sporting clays. I took the online course and need to finish the classroom portion before a guided trip.

I commend you for posting and know you're not alone!

CAL.NDN
12-03-2013, 06:37 PM
its so cute when somebody thinks they can just start duck hunting. You basically have to be born into it. I'm not sayin its like becoming a Spartan or a Jedi, the best thing I would say is to get your basic necessities, and go on a few guided hunts. If I was tech savvy I would make an "one does not simply become a duck hunter" meme for ya. Unless you have a bunch of buddies that hunt, learning by yourself is gonna suck. You gotta do your homework if you wanna hunt on public land. You better fork out the dough, cause its gonna get expensive quick. And you don't have to have an 870, mossbergs are just as good. All I can say is do your homework, and spend your money wisely.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/edazy7yh.jpg

sent from the banks of somewhere slaying the Chrome.

49erbassman
12-03-2013, 06:43 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/04/edazy7yh.jpg

sent from the banks of somewhere slaying the Chrome.

Damn your getting all fancy these days with that tapatalk app lol

Fish on!

monkey916
12-03-2013, 07:37 PM
nice cal... for a second i figured marv posted that...lol...and for the guys that want to hunt... do your classes... and next season you guys can accompany me after we go target shooting a few times before the seasons start... wasn't able to go this season due to job difficulties and shopping for a new puppy... because i will not hunt without one... thats just me though... i've hunted with a dog since i was 5... just walking of course... watching family hunt... been rocking my own dog since 14yrs. old...

fishingfrieda
12-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Good of you to offer Monkey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

D. Lloyd
12-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Wht.rus send me a pm when ya can.

Danny

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2