PDA

View Full Version : halibut out of trinidad/eureka

propwash
08-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I was wondering if anybody had info on where to start/what works best for offshore halibut in the Eureka/Trinidad area,I read something about the 200 foot curve as a starting point,any info would be helpful thanks ..ps.did real well last sat. 8/20 out of Trinidad for salmon limits to 20# by 730!!

Rusty_Hooks
08-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Is Bob's still there or did you partyboat it?

propwash
08-23-2005, 03:49 PM
We used the boat sling launch,very nice :)

HSUSteelie
08-24-2005, 01:08 PM
The easiest way is to wait for them to move into the bay, but that never really happened this summer. Never tried for buts outside the bay, but Bucksport on Broadway in Eureka may have some info for you.

flobob2
08-24-2005, 09:54 PM
They have been getting them in 200feet of water off eureka. The party boat has been fishing them everyfew days when the salmon has been slow. I heard about a 74lb'r caught a couple weeks ago. Use a big rod with heavy line, a 1lb cannon ball, spreader bar to a heavy leader with bait(anchovie, or sand dab), or some people like the rubber swim baits because the crabs dont eat them.

The california halibut are the fish that come in the bay. *And the fishing is good for them now. Try the channel under the 3rd leg of the samoa bridge when going eureka to arcata. Same setup as the pacifics, just lighter tackle. I saw a couple of nice 20+ pounders from that spot a few days ago.

propwash
08-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Thanks, weather permitting im going to run out and give it a shot.