PDA

View Full Version : Bass Gear to Fish for Trout

inrealtime
11-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Only have reels & rods setup for bass. I am going to Los Vaqueros for the first time for trout fishing. Can I add a few feet of 4 or 6 lb mono to the heavy braid I have on my reels?

Tonysgonefishin
11-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Cranking sticks and snubbers will be your friend. Do you have a top water rod with mono? Are you going to be casting or trolling?

Troutoholic
11-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Let us know the rating of your rods and size braid, I have seen guys throwing crank baits and lip baits for trout on medium action 6'6 or 7' the problem with braid is there is no stretch, bass mouths are hard and you have to punch the hook in, trout have very soft mouths so it's easy to rip the hooks out. Not saying it can't be done but you might be better off winding on a little more mono at least as much as you can cast. Hope that helps some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

inrealtime
11-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Have casting 7' St Croix Avid & Mojo Bass in Medium with 40 & 60 lb braid. Also a Abu Vendetta 7.3 medium extra heavy.
Maybe my best bet would be to get an inexpensive spinning rod & reel? I think sports authority has a 25% off on all fishing right now. I have some 2 lb P-line or 6lb Trilene xl. What would be better suited

Line Stretcher
11-29-2013, 12:17 PM
To answer your question - Of course you can, the trout don't know you're using bass gear.

A possible solution for rigging without re-spooling your reel might be to run a piece of 8-10b mono or Flourocarbon off the braid that's about twice the length of the rod and then connect whatever lure or bait you want to use. I might put a swivel at the end of the mono/fc and call everything after that the leader. It's up to you and you can change it up once you see what everyone else does.

Katfish
11-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Have casting 7' St Croix Avid & Mojo Bass in Medium with 40 & 60 lb braid. Also a Abu Vendetta 7.3 medium extra heavy.
Maybe my best bet would be to get an inexpensive spinning rod & reel? I think sports authority has a 25% off on all fishing right now. I have some 2 lb P-line or 6lb Trilene xl. What would be better suited

Good idea grabbing a cheap combo it will get you by.

As for the line where will you be fishing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Jfitalia
11-29-2013, 12:18 PM
yeah that rod is way to heavy. Bass rods can work great for trolling spoons and plugs though. One of my favorite rods to use in my lami certified pro 6-15lb rod. It was actually made for throwing topwater.

inrealtime
11-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Going up to Los Vanqueros Reservoir. I found a couple of old ultralite spinning rods & an old garcia reel in my garage. I think they are my father in law's from years ago. Gonna give them a try out there. Will spool up the reel with 6 lb mono.