PDA

View Full Version : folsom lake

CAL916BEAR
12-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Hit browns ravine yesterday for two nice holdover trout, also missed a few hits. Fished the bank from 1-5pm waters really low but the fish seemed active. All hits came on powerbait. I wasnt expecting much just wanted to get out while the wife had her baby shower at the house and got a couple nice trout!

WhopperStopper
12-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Nice work. Any pictures?

thompsonwdavid
12-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Sweet!!! I can't wait to go out there when they plant eagle lake trout.

Rugby Lock
12-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Where does DFW usually plant this lake from?

CAL916BEAR
12-12-2013, 10:18 AM
Sweet!!! I can't wait to go out there when they plant eagle lake trout.

When are they supposed to do that?

Jay R
12-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Folsom is normally planted at Browns, Granite or sometimes both depending on the week, water conditions/level, ramp availability and #of fish going in. Below is a link to the CDFW planting schedule with past plants and the up coming week. The "map it" button only gives a point on the lake and does not reflect the actual stocking location but for some waters such as Folsom that have ramps in different counties you can sometimes figure it out.
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

As you can see Folsom is on the schedule for sometime next week. These will be catchable size ELT's as part of the regular Folsom wintertime plants. The sub-catchable ELT's mentioned earlier are a new addition to try and improve the cold water fishery at Folsom by adding a "put and grow" component using a wild strain fish. They should be going in late Jan. or early Feb. but likely won't be up to a size that most people want to put in the box until late summer or fall of 2014. We are going to adipose clip them first so we can track their growth and contribution to the fishery over time, and will have clerks out at the ramps checking your fish and asking you all questions again to go along with it.
For those that don't know, the ELT's tend to like to eat bait fish so your catch rates on them will be somewhat improved using lures and trolling over power bait.
There are also still plenty of the other strains of RT's swimming around in there from plants earlier in the season for the anglers that like to still fish using bait.

Good fishing!
Jay

CAL916BEAR
12-14-2013, 12:14 AM
Thanks Jay R! Wonderful information

XPL051v3
12-14-2013, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the report. Was just thinking of trying Folsom on Monday. Is the 5mph still in affect for the whole lake?

-Xzi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shawnb
12-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Yes, 5 mph for the whole lake.

Jfitalia
12-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Folsom is normally planted at Browns, Granite or sometimes both depending on the week, water conditions/level, ramp availability and #of fish going in. Below is a link to the CDFW planting schedule with past plants and the up coming week. The "map it" button only gives a point on the lake and does not reflect the actual stocking location but for some waters such as Folsom that have ramps in different counties you can sometimes figure it out.
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

As you can see Folsom is on the schedule for sometime next week. These will be catchable size ELT's as part of the regular Folsom wintertime plants. The sub-catchable ELT's mentioned earlier are a new addition to try and improve the cold water fishery at Folsom by adding a "put and grow" component using a wild strain fish. They should be going in late Jan. or early Feb. but likely won't be up to a size that most people want to put in the box until late summer or fall of 2014. We are going to adipose clip them first so we can track their growth and contribution to the fishery over time, and will have clerks out at the ramps checking your fish and asking you all questions again to go along with it.
For those that don't know, the ELT's tend to like to eat bait fish so your catch rates on them will be somewhat improved using lures and trolling over power bait.
There are also still plenty of the other strains of RT's swimming around in there from plants earlier in the season for the anglers that like to still fish using bait.

Good fishing!
Jay

I don't believe that DFW is putting in ELT fish into folsom. I believe the trout they are planting now are their regular small DFW fish. That is why the stocking of ELT trout next year is such a big deal. I also though I read that the new stocking program of kings and ELT would not be starting until the fall of next year. I may have read that wrong though.

I believe the ELT trout that will be planted are coming from a private hatchery???

Jay R
12-16-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't believe that DFW is putting in ELT fish into folsom. I believe the trout they are planting now are their regular small DFW fish. That is why the stocking of ELT trout next year is such a big deal. I also though I read that the new stocking program of kings and ELT would not be starting until the fall of next year. I may have read that wrong though.

I believe the ELT trout that will be planted are coming from a private hatchery???

The fish that have gone in so far this year have been the more standard strains. There are a load of "catchable" size ELT's going in this week. The big plant of sub-catchables that was talked about in the article on WON were ready before I thought so we will get them in later this winter right after we fin clip them. It will probably take until next fall for them to get up to a size that folks will want to keep them. They are all DFW fish.

I negotiated an agreement with the ACOE to stock some fish for mitigation of the recreational fishery as part of the construction going on at the dam. I'm not sure when those fish will go in or what the strain will be but they will be from a private hatchery.