PDA

View Full Version : Monterey to Carmel

Redwine
08-21-2005, 11:03 PM
Do any of you Sniffers, in the Monterey/Carmel area, know how many miles it is from Monterey to Carmel by Boat?

Also, which launch would you recommend, Coast Guard or Fishermans Wharf?

If you have any questions about Fort Bragg, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Redwine

John_Hamman
08-22-2005, 05:07 AM
I often fish out of Monterey but have never gone around to Carmel. I am considering it, so I would like an answer to that question, too. I have launched out of both the Coast Guard area and Fisherman's Wharf. I prefer FW because there is no water surge. A few years ago a surge of water at the CG launch just about put my boat up on the bow support post of the trailer; never went back there again.

Redwine
08-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Hi John,

Thanks for the info!!

I lived in Carmel in the 70's, and use to go fishing with a buddy that had a whaler, but I could remember where we launched from. We use to take his boat and drift off Carmel beach. Caught some Big fish out there. Back then that area didn't get to many boats working it.
I'll be coming down from Napa sometime in the next two months with my boat. Perhaps we could hook up and make a two boat run south to Carmel. I have an 18' Hydra Sport, with a 115 Evinrude that I take out to Fort Bragg all the time.

Thank again!
Jeff
I went to this site: http://www.californiacoastline.org, to get pictures of the Monterey area for launching. It's pretty cool!

meatboat
08-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Takes 15 to 20 minutes to make the turn. Breakwater is best for small boats (Terrible surge)if you don't watch that surge it will cover your truck. I usally only back down to the wet line and let the surge bring the bot on. Also leave it in gear if alone so the boat dosen't come back off. Harbor for larger boats, very little surge but more busy

Redwine
08-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Meatboat,

Thanks for the info! I really apperciate it.

Redwine

Sardine
08-23-2005, 01:38 PM
This is all true but, there is surge at FW too. It's still the ocean. Don't get careless at FW, I've seen the water come in the trunks & even the back doors of several cars. You don't want that. Be careful there too.

Redwine
08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Sardine,

Thanks for the insight!!

Redwine