PDA

View Full Version : New regulations: West Walker

ktmquad
12-02-2013, 12:58 PM
I haven't confirmed this, but thought some of you might be interested. From an email I received yesterday:
Great News on Fishing the West Walker River
Starting in 2002, the Mono County Fisheries Commission started attempting to increase the fishing season on the West Walker River. This task was picked up about 3 years ago by two local commissioners, Dan Anthony and Bob Dunn. While the DFW rejected the request a couple of years ago, both Dan and Bob never gave up.Working with the folks at DFW in Bishop, a new set of regulations were crafted to allow for year round fishing. Yes, you read this correct, 'Year Round Fishing is coming to the West Walker River!'On November 6, 2013, the California Department of Fish & Wildlife announced that the West Walker River has been designated for winter fishing, from the confluence with the Little Walker River (Hwy. 395 Bridge at mile marker 96), north to the inlet of Topaz Lake, from November 16 through the Friday preceding the last Saturday in April. These new regulations go into effect on March 1st, 2014. Along with these new dates, the winter fishing regulations are as follows: Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used for catch and release only, zero daily bag and possession limit.

Troutoholic
12-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Yupp heard about this a while ago, never thought they would get around to actually doing it! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Captain Compassion
12-02-2013, 08:43 PM
I had heard of this as well. The W. Walker is a heavily stocked during the regular season and is basically a put and take fishery with few holdover fish in the area stated. Wonder where the winter fish will come from? Where the WW enters Topaz Lake and upstream for a bit could be interesting in March and April. Doubt that they will open the Walker Burger in the winter.

CC