PDA

View Full Version : favorite Salmon eggs for Trout fishing

stefanoflo
12-02-2013, 02:32 PM
When you go fishing for trout
Whats the salmon eggs that you like most.
I personally use Mikes from Atlas Mikes as well as there other lines of eggs .
I know Pautzke`s is a favorite of most and have been around for a while.
which is it that trout love .

IronClad
12-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I dont go fishing anywhere trout related without bringing some balls o fire.

49erbassman
12-02-2013, 03:06 PM

Same here! Gonna try my own though now. Cured a fat jar myself just for some Trout fun

stefanoflo
12-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Same here! Gonna try my own though now. Cured a fat jar myself just for some Trout fun

I wish i was able to catch a salmon which in a way would save me bank on eggs
so far Im a bigger sunk now than i was when salmon season started.
maybe I can do something with the steelhead eggs if a get a egg filled hen.
Its always better to catch your eggs than purchase them from a retailer bait shoppe.:innoc9dj:

BIG_ONE
12-02-2013, 03:21 PM
My all time favorite...tough, durable, doesn't break down & melt, and its freakin' yummy to a trout. #1 in my book.

stefanoflo
12-02-2013, 04:10 PM
My all time favorite...tough, durable, doesn't break down & melt, and its freakin' yummy to a trout. #1 in my book.

Just ordered a dozen eggs , some garlic and some large eggs
The Siberian line of eggs is good as well
I went through 2 jars of Mike`s this Past weekend .
Trout love them :fish_jumps:

www.atlasmikes.com

CAL.NDN
12-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Yep love my balls of fire. But been.using siberian night crawler with great success and the sugar cured as well. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/03/3y7ebu9e.jpg

sent from the banks of somewhere slaying the Chrome.

Tyeechinook
12-02-2013, 05:14 PM
I like the ones I cure myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

PapaGreg
12-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Pautzke's have never failed me!!!!!!! Damn, been using them for over 50 years (shhhhhh), since my uncle showed them to me. TIP: the yellow ones often work when nothing else does!

I remember one week-end at Pardee when the trout were being finicky, I put PZ's on and starting getting fish. I put some on my grandson's line and he started getting fish, he says; "gampaw, if you had these, why didn't we use them before"?

Captain Compassion
12-02-2013, 08:47 PM
Pautzke's green label. Nothing else comes close. I'm beginning to like Gulp eggs in Red and orange as well.

CC

fishingfrieda
12-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Great thread Stefanoflo! Would have given you roe if I had known you needed it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

PapaGreg
12-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Anybody remember when Pautzkes, velveeta cheese and liver were THEE baits:lolk: to use for trout? That was long before PB, PE's were invented!

Katfish
12-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Balls of fire all the way.

It's all about the orange deluxe :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Marv
12-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Pautzkes is easiest to find and a semi quality egg. I like the gold label with glitter. I also like Mike's shrimp flavored jumbo eggs. If they are firm enough to stay on the hook then a trout will eat them. A bead that looks like a trout egg will work too.

You guys that salmon fish should be using skein, pretty easy to cure. Also loose eggs air fairly easy to cure.

Plug-n-Jug
12-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Anybody remember when Pautzkes, velveeta cheese and liver were THEE baits:lolk: to use for trout? That was long before PB, PE's were invented!

Dont count them out. They all still slay trout! CRAP, I just gave away the secret baits! :thumbsup:

stefanoflo
12-03-2013, 12:43 PM

and they still work to this day as well as sweet corn.
I remember fishing a trout pond back in the late 70`s around Tiger creek . we never Caught anything that day the water was very high and it was like Crazy rapids ,so we hit a Trout Pond where you paid by the inch and they gave us a Cup of Corn to use as baits . we already had our worms so we mixed up the worms with the corm and Of course the worms got the bigger fish and we paid the price on that day for not using the corn
I guess you can say they were corn feed trout! :salmon:

stefanoflo
12-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Pautzkes is easiest to find and a semi quality egg. I like the gold label with glitter. I also like Mike's shrimp flavored jumbo eggs. If they are firm enough to stay on the hook then a trout will eat them. A bead that looks like a trout egg will work too.

You guys that salmon fish should be using skein, pretty easy to cure. Also loose eggs air fairly easy to cure.

Hell, i saw where they were using Power eggs for Steelhead and catching them
you can even put single salmon eggs on a hook and catch steelhead . using a single bead above the hook and using a single eggs on a hook is no different . but the scent from a real egg.
you can pretty much use trout bait rigs for steelhead and catch them . even put single salmon eggs from a jar and make sacs from them .I made sacs from eggs and put a few rolled power bait dough in it to give it some added float to keep it off the bottom. :val9bz:

WhopperStopper
12-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Pautzkes yellow jackets and orange deluxe. Mikes atlas has some eggs that are like a very pale orange/peach color that work good too.

panther
12-03-2013, 05:37 PM
I like the Pautzke red label eggs the best. It would be interesting to try their "yellow jackets". I sure do remember velveeta cheese. Caught a lot of nice trout on them in Wildhorse Reservoir in Nevada in 1973. I'm going to try them again in 2014. We used to fish from a boat and leave a slice of cheese on a seat in the sun to soften it up a little. That made in mold better on the hook.

fishingfrieda
12-03-2013, 06:59 PM
I like the Pautzke red label eggs the best. It would be interesting to try their "yellow jackets". I sure do remember velveeta cheese. Caught a lot of nice trout on them in Wildhorse Reservoir in Nevada in 1973. I'm going to try them again in 2014. We used to fish from a boat and leave a slice of cheese on a seat in the sun to soften it up a little. That made in mold better on the hook.

Velveeta! The original dough bait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

BIG FIN
12-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Balls of Fire are a favorite although it would be awesome if they could make an egg thats natural and floats you would just kill all species of trout . Tightline BF

Plug-n-Jug
12-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Balls of Fire are a favorite although it would be awesome if they could make an egg thats natural and floats you would just kill all species of trout . Tightline BF

If you need them to float, just put a small styrofoam float on the hook then a Salmon egg. Any of the thunderball, fish pill type products that you would use for Steelhead should work.

clb101
12-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Like capt. compassion I also use the gulp and power eggs in red and orange, as they float big time. Butt my go to is still green label balls of fire and to get them to float I first thread on a mini marshmellow. I find the combo irresistable to the trout. The mini marshmellow works with a nightcrawler except you need two. clb