PDA

View Full Version : Powerworm Question

BIG FIN
12-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Ok guys I need some help its been reel slow at Amador for me lately but there are a few guys that are just knocking the crap out of em on powerworms . I set up with a water bobber half full and a 5 foot leader same color worm and everything maybe I am hooking it wrong using a size 6 hook threading the worm on until the bend starts . Any suggestions it looks to me like they are just reeling in real slow . Tightlines BF

monkey916
12-03-2013, 08:58 PM
use a regular bobber... thread worm on so it hangs straight... no bend... add a small split shot about 6 inches above it... if no little chop on the water... throw it out let it float few minutes... dont get bit slowly twitch yor bobber 4 times stop... float a minute... twitch...twitch... you can just throw it out without twitching too... 1 split shot because power worms float... reg bobber bounces up and down with the waves for more action good luck!!!

monkey916
12-03-2013, 09:01 PM
i throw mine out and let sit for a minute... and slowly twitch it all the way back to me with short pauses in between...

truckfr88
12-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Use a sliding clear water bobber (full of water) with a 5-6 ft leader.. Cast out and let sit for a few sec, then slowly reel in..... Same set up for wooly bugger!!!
good luck

Jfitalia
12-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Use a sliding clear water bobber (full of water) with a 5-6 ft leader.. Cast out and let sit for a few sec, then slowly reel in..... Same set up for wooly bugger!!!
good luck

This is what he's doing now.

OP the tips monkey gave are spot on.

BIG FIN
12-04-2013, 08:30 AM
i throw mine out and let sit for a minute... and slowly twitch it all the way back to me with short pauses in between...

Thanks Monkey I'll give that a try . Tightlines BF

Plug-n-Jug
12-04-2013, 09:06 AM
You can also try rigging it on the hook Wackey Style.

WhopperStopper
12-04-2013, 12:43 PM
I have really good success rigging them on a 1/32 white or chartreuse jighead. It gives the PowerWorm crazy action when you jig it. I also let it sit for up to a minute or more in between jigging sequences.

monkey916
12-04-2013, 01:25 PM
I have really good success rigging them on a 1/32 white or chartreuse jighead. It gives the PowerWorm crazy action when you jig it. I also let it sit for up to a minute or more in between jigging sequences.
good job WS... forgot to throw that out there...:D

alucardbear
12-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Have you tried carolina rig them cause. If i remeber correctly the worms float. You want a size 8 Aberdeen hook leave enough tail for action and bounce it back. Most trout hold near the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BigBossBear
12-04-2013, 02:22 PM
How is amador? are there regularly schools prowling the shoreline and do they jump in the morning like they used to? If money wasnt an issue I'd be out there every day to give you all lessons.

Jimmy_M
12-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Try 3" mice tails, white/orange, yellow/orange, and orange/chartreuse. Use your same setup and but let it sink longer and twitch it like Monkey916 said.

WhopperStopper
12-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Have you tried carolina rig them cause. If i remeber correctly the worms float. You want a size 8 Aberdeen hook leave enough tail for action and bounce it back. Most trout hold near the bottom.

The funny thing about Amador is that most of the fish hold near the top 5 ft of the water column.

alucardbear
12-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow thats interesting i guess the lake turnover or its just like that. Sounds like a killer place for flyroding in.

Jfitalia
12-04-2013, 02:51 PM

this can be good but not at amador. Plus those berkley worms don't float for crap. The eagle claw worms float much better and I have better luck with them overall. I have pretty much stopped using the powerworm all together. I instead use the eagle claw and the ones made by troutkinglures.com

Jfitalia
12-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Wow thats interesting i guess the lake turnover or its just like that. Sounds like a killer place for flyroding in.

that is just the breed of those fish. They like to stay up top. The fish aren't holding in big schools yet. with the low water the fish are cruising the tree lines picking off bait fish.

BIG FIN
12-04-2013, 04:49 PM
How is amador? are there regularly schools prowling the shoreline and do they jump in the morning like they used to? If money wasnt an issue I'd be out there every day to give you all lessons.

Amador is very very low but with the cold weather it should pick up . Not as many schools prowling like the old days I believe this is because they are dispersing them better when stocking but you can also tell they are trying to spruce up the place . Today I saw them putting in a new frisbee golf course it will give us something else to do while downing the cold ones .:beer_2::party-smiley-048:Tightlines BF

BIG FIN
12-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Doesnt a 1/32 sink too much after a minute ? I tried a jig head but then I had to cut off or crimp the hump on it so it would fit , even tried a small worm weight and stuck out my pointer finger. It gave it crazy action but the fish gave me the other finger .:nevezuha1bz:

PapaGreg
12-04-2013, 08:46 PM
I know a lot of fish are caught in the top 5 feet of water, but I've caught 90% of my fish on the bottom at Amador! I'm thinking it's because I shore fish and prefer to use bait, rather than hardware, and therefore fish off the bottom!:boring:

WhopperStopper
12-05-2013, 03:11 PM
Doesnt a 1/32 sink too much after a minute ? I tried a jig head but then I had to cut off or crimp the hump on it so it would fit , even tried a small worm weight and stuck out my pointer finger. It gave it crazy action but the fish gave me the other finger .:nevezuha1bz:

I fish the PowerWorm/jighead about 5' under a bobber. I also have some jigheads that do not have a collar so the powerworm threads up the hook all the way without splitting. You can also just cut the collar off standard jigheads if you can't find ones without the collar.

WhopperStopper
12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I know a lot of fish are caught in the top 5 feet of water, but I've caught 90% of my fish on the bottom at Amador! I'm thinking it's because I shore fish and prefer to use bait, rather than hardware, and therefore fish off the bottom!:boring:

I also catch them fishing PB off the bottom , but I make my leader long enough so the PB floats near the surface. Short casts are usually required there as the banks are very steep so if you cast far you would need a really long leader for the PB to float near the surface. I usually only cast like 10-15' away form the bank and use about a 5-6' leader.

Steve079
12-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Allright, I'll toss this in there too. I hook the worms right thru the nose, with a size 8 egg hook, and a small split shot. I want it to just slow fall on its way down. the worm gets great action this way; I will also hook them like this on a small Kastmaster, for better distance

Water bobber, bobber stop too, on first rig

Marv
12-05-2013, 08:18 PM
I'm like Steve I like them pegged on a Kastmaster hook. I use a jig or bugger when I water bob.

PapaGreg
12-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Whopperstopper, I've checked some land marks at low water, (LIKE NOW!), and when the lake is close to full, I'm probably fishing in 35-40 feet of water and use a 4 foot leader. That's pretty close to the bottom. Right now at Amador you can see where and how the banks drop off, they are pretty much exposed. I have caught them close to shore also, you just never know where they're going to be.

BIG FIN
12-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Allright, I'll toss this in there too. I hook the worms right thru the nose, with a size 8 egg hook, and a small split shot. I want it to just slow fall on its way down. the worm gets great action this way; I will also hook them like this on a small Kastmaster, for better distance

Water bobber, bobber stop too, on first rig

Thanks Marv & Steve yeah you get incredible action on a kastmaster almsot makes the worm look like a snake coming thru the water gonna have to try everyones suggestions and just stick to it a little longer . Got 2 last time on bottom with PW castng perpindicular to the shore . Tightlines BF