PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing.

Kaban12
12-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Guys,

Looking to get into ice fishing here in Cali. I did a lot of ice fishing when I lived in Minnesota. Okay I practically lived in my ice house.
What are some lakes to fish? When is it best to go? Tip ups? Jigging spoons? What's best? How deep is the ice? Do I need to dress like an Eskimo?
Keep in mind I won't have my ice house or sweet auger.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sergey

Plug-n-Jug
12-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Guys,

Looking to get into ice fishing here in Cali. I did a lot of ice fishing when I lived in Minnesota. Okay I practically lived in my ice house.
What are some lakes to fish? When is it best to go? Tip ups? Jigging spoons? What's best? How deep is the ice? Do I need to dress like an Eskimo?
Keep in mind I won't have my ice house or sweet auger.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sergey

Caples, Silver and Red lake. You will need an auger.

Dangatang
12-04-2013, 08:59 PM
Brother, welcome! I'm also a huge ice-fisherman (MA, NH), and I'm yearning to get out on the hard water soon. My home-made tip-ups are ready to go. :)

I'm planning to head to Caples / Silver, but not until the New Year - no safe ice yet.

Higher elevation lakes froze earlier, but with the snow a shovel (in addition to an auger) would probably be a necessity.

Hope to see you out there - pm me if you ever need a partner to head up with.

Dang

Fishinjib
12-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Brother, welcome! I'm also a huge ice-fisherman (MA, NH), and I'm yearning to get out on the hard water soon. My home-made tip-ups are ready to go. :)

I'm planning to head to Caples / Silver, but not until the New Year - no safe ice yet.

Higher elevation lakes froze earlier, but with the snow a shovel (in addition to an auger) would probably be a necessity.

Hope to see you out there - pm me if you ever need a partner to head up with.

Dang

I just wanted to say good luck to you guys. Hopefully ill see you guys out there one of these days. Also, I love the quote in your signature, I was named after Kahlil Gibran. except mine is spelled Jibran.

Fish ON!

Jibran

Kaban12
12-05-2013, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=Dangatang;975307]Brother, welcome! I'm also a huge ice-fisherman (MA, NH), and I'm yearning to get out on the hard water soon. My home-made tip-ups are ready to go. :)

Hope to see you out there - pm me if you ever need a partner to head up

cool. I appreciate the offer.

Henning
12-26-2013, 09:25 PM
If you end up going post a report. I just got back from Minnesota today. Went out on my folks little lake, which was unusually active with hard water fishermen nailing panfish and big pike. Gave me the ice fishing bug big time!

Dangatang
12-28-2013, 05:35 AM
If you end up going post a report. I just got back from Minnesota today. Went out on my folks little lake, which was unusually active with hard water fishermen nailing panfish and big pike. Gave me the ice fishing bug big time!

I'm heading out on to the hard water next week. Finally back on familiar ground. :) I'll report after... by the way, I am heading to MN in Feb (St. Paul). Would love to get a day of ice fishing in - any recommendations of places to go?

Dang

mtn. man
12-28-2013, 02:25 PM
With the sub-zero blast we had up here a few weeks ago, the lakes froze up early. I drove by back on the 16th of DEC. on way back from Minden, and seen holes drilled by the spillway at Caples. The ice there looked good.

As I pasted by Silver Lake, it looed like the middle of he lake was still open. As I got a bit closer, I could see people ice skating out on the middle of the lake. Yes, Ice skating! I've lived up here since 1966, and have Never seen anyone ice skating on any of the lakes up here. ( just the wrong kind of ice) It was crazy cold up there.

Now, there's been a bit of a warm up lately, I would suggest that if anyone attempts to head out on the ice up there, you should be VERY careful until you're sure of the conditions.

Dangatang
01-01-2014, 03:24 PM
As of noon today, Caples (near the dam) had about 8" of solid ice + 1" of junk.

I wandered around and opened a half-dozen holes; as far as I could see the whole lake looked locked up.

The fishing was tough - 2 little rainbows C&R - and I called it a day around noon.

Beautiful area!

Dang

Dangatang
01-14-2014, 08:24 PM
Bumping this since the season is prime. Anyone been out on the hard water lately?

Dang

Kaban12
01-14-2014, 10:51 PM
I'm heading out on to the hard water next week. Finally back on familiar ground. :) I'll report after... by the way, I am heading to MN in Feb (St. Paul). Would love to get a day of ice fishing in - any recommendations of places to go?

Dang

Always had success on green lake in Chisago county. About a 45 min drive north of Minneapolis. A lot of other Great Lakes in that area also.

Kaban12
01-14-2014, 10:53 PM

Brings back memories. Might have to go there in May for the pike and bass opener.

CDREANDRADE
01-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Heading to caples/red lakes in the morning. I will repost when/if I return.

chris

CDREANDRADE
01-20-2014, 10:07 AM
got to Caples at around 5:30 am drilled several holes and had five lines in with jigs worms power bait and salmon eggs. No action at all today. there were several other people by about 9am. didn't see any fish or hear any yells. Slooow day today on the ice. We did have fun lighting a big bonfire on the ice though. we headed about 1030 and called it a day.

better luck next time. Frenchman and Davis seem to be doing better right now according to the report.

chris

corkscrew
01-23-2014, 09:42 AM
With the lack of precipitation Caples is going to be lousy this year. Kirkwood ski resort is pumping water out of there to make snow and it spooks the fish. It sounds like a thunderstorm when out on the ice from all the ice settling from dropping lake levels. Try Red lake or Silver.

CDREANDRADE
01-23-2014, 04:12 PM
yes I did notice the thunderstorm and water fluctuating in the hole. Some of the guys I was there with were a little sketched out.

libbey
01-29-2014, 07:24 AM
I've been searching for info on ice fishing in the area & came across all your posts. I'm an avid hard water fisherman; I make 3-4 tips to MN & Canada each year for walleye & lakers. Locally, I've fished Davis, Frenchmans, Boca, & Prosser. Had great success in Dec. at all(several 24" browns at Boca, limits of rainbows to 20" at Davis & Frenchmans), but with the warm weather the ice has become unsafe. So I'm interested to hear if anyone has info on the conditions at other lakes. Any advice on conditions, ice thickness, etc. would be appreciated. I'd be happy to meet up with other hard water enthusiasts within 2 hrs. of Reno area. Thanks.

Dangatang
01-30-2014, 07:01 PM
Hi libbey - welcome! It is good to see more hardwater folks showing up. :)

I've icefished Hwy 88 near Kirkwood (Caples, Silver, Red Lakes) several times this season since December. The ice was good (8+ " of solid with at least an inch of junk on top) last time I headed up there - which was 2 weeks ago.

If you head up that way give the Caples Lake Resort a call (209-258-8888). They will give you an update on current ice conditions.

And if you're looking for someone to hit the ice with, send me a PM!

Dang

salmonid
01-30-2014, 07:39 PM
I used to do quite a bit of ice fishing in the midwest as a youngster, kind of glad I don't have to resort to that anymore!

To you guys that are hitting the ice: Good luck and be careful!

Best,

Dangatang
02-08-2014, 08:35 PM
bump.

Anyone been up 88 lately? with all this snow (thank above!) wondering how the ice is?

Dang