PDA

View Full Version : SF bay tomorrow!

Striperman
08-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Heading out on the bay tomorrow! Pix and stories to come when i get home!

Striperman

Striperman
08-11-2005, 10:51 AM
Ok first thing in the morning we went out to the Farallons. Caught a bunch of sand dabs for ling bait. The rockfish are so thick out there you cant get anything through them unless its as big as they are! Loaded the boat with dabs, moved to the ling and rockfish spot. On the north side of the islands. Dropped a chovey down and it never made it to the bottom! The rockfish were jumping on everything! So i caught a bunch of black and olives. Decided to experiment. haha put a piece of chicken on the hook, Got big, Put a piece of a chip bag on the hook, got bit, Dropped down a bare hook, Got bit!!! haha These fish were bitting at the swivel and the weight also! The skipper, Jay had a little mickey mouse pole that he was catching them on! haha it was great! I probably caught and released over 30 blacks. All i was doing was dropping down a bare hook about 20ft and slowly reeling it up. The lings were being caught on the sand dabs. We limited out on rock fish and lins so we headed back to duxbery for some striper/halibut fishing. On our first drift we boated one or two halibut and a 28lb striper!! The striper was caught right next to me!! What a HOG! We ended up catching 10 keeper halibut, I caught a shaker, one striper, and one leapord shark that my buddy caught! All in all a great day! Was fun to get back out there!

Striperman

FishinFool408
08-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Can't complain about that type of success! ;D

judyann
08-11-2005, 12:00 PM
Nice,
we ran out there saturday. *Right out the gate I hit a big wave and our GPS blacks out, we couldn't get it to start up, so we began heading to Dux, 15 minutes later it resets and turns back on, so we ran to the Farallons and fish the north islands, real close, close enought to smell the bird &(^%t. *Right in the middle of the whales, caught ling after ling on 4 0z spoons and twin tail grubs, but they were all 22" except 2 keepers, did get some huge olives and 2 nice Cabs. *ran in and dropped 2 halibut on the troll at paradise.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/527/medium/Picture_033.jpg

Striperman
08-11-2005, 01:46 PM
Nice! I wish i could have caught a few legal buts! Or that monster striper the guy next to me caught! Sounds like you had a good day on the water though!

Striperman

Pimpinmeat
08-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I went out on my buddies Parker sat and saw some breaking fish so we charged. Threw a bait but they wouldn't take anything I threw out there. What do blue whales eat anyway? I was kidding anout throwing a bait at them. We did, however come across a pod of 4 blue whales. I've seen alot of stuff on the ocean but that was a cool site to see. Those suckers are huge, I was amazed. The cool thing is they don't normally cruise through So Cal so it was a rare sighting.

vini-v
08-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Who do you suggest for a guide out there guys i'm going up there in a few weeks with the brother inlaw.

Striperman
08-11-2005, 09:03 PM
The C-Gull 2 or the New Huck Finn out of Emeryville are two great boats! They are the only two boats i fish on! Ive fished on other boats but they dont compare! I havent been on the other boats out of emeryville but they are also good from the people i talk to when they get off. We did see some whales also. Not sure what kind, probably blues also!

Striperman

vini-v
08-12-2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks Striperman my problem is I get deathly sick at sea at least the last time I went I DID nope no dramamine but this time I will for sure plus i'd just like to do a half day thing ,i'll hunt around and see what I can find, some Albacore fishing would be great.

Striperman
08-12-2005, 08:42 PM
Have you ever worn the patch? My dad usto get sick really bad. He started wearing the patch and has never got sick since! I wear one also! I havent been sick. They work! I think you need a prescription to get them though! Next time you go to the doctor tell him you want some sea sick patches! Best thing that has ever happend to people that get sea sick!!!

Striperman

vini-v
08-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Never tried them but i am going to get some for sure i don't want to miss out ;D

Collegebound
08-14-2005, 05:08 PM
The C-Gull 2 or the New Huck Finn out of Emeryville are two great boats! They are the only two boats i fish on! Ive fished on other boats but they dont compare! I havent been on the other boats out of emeryville but they are also good from the people i talk to when they get off. We did see some whales also. Not sure what kind, probably blues also!

Striperman

I've had some great fishing off the C-gull 2 as well. Also the New Seeker is good, too. Very experienced captain. Striperman, did the patch make your dad drowsy at all? I always heard it makes people really drowsy. Makes me hesitant to wear it on an early morning drive to the marina.
Mike

gmdcdvm
08-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Dam You! I have had to work all this time whil the fishing appears excellent. Still looking for my first keeper ling of the season, but I hope to make it out this week on a pot luck boat. Congrats on a excellent day of fishing.
G

gmdcdvm
08-14-2005, 05:33 PM
I go out of Emeryville a lot and my personal favorites are the Captain Hook for live bait/pot luck, and the New Salmon Queen for salmon. But, I have been on all of the other boats including the C-gull and Seeker and they are all great boats. Just personal preference.
G

Brettski
08-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Hey finmuffin,I just got the patches from my Dr. He advised me to take them the night before.They work for 72hrs each I didn't know that.Then you can get through the droseyness the night before.I have never triied them but my friend suggested I get them.I'll try and let you know how they work.I hope so because there is nothing worse than being sea sick!!

vini-v
08-16-2005, 05:06 PM
No kidding Brettski. My very first and last trip out to open sea was horrible we had storms that day and the swells were higher then the boat it took me several hours to get right after leaving that boat and i was sick for at least 6 hours out there on the boat hardly fished.

Sunday i went out to the local lake and boats were everywhere and the waves came in to shore pretty high so i'm staring at these waves hitting the bank and glance over to the high ground and i swear i was getting sea sick just watching those waves come in :P the ground was moving up and down, i got it BAD.

Collegebound
08-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey finmuffin,I just got the patches from my Dr. He advised me to take them the night before.They work for 72hrs each I didn't know that.Then you can get through the droseyness the night before.I have never triied them but my friend suggested I get them.I'll try and let you know how they work.I hope so because there is nothing worse than being sea sick!!

Sounds good.
mike

Striperman
08-17-2005, 08:02 AM
Yes put the patch on the night before! And whatever you do wash your hands after application!!! The reason they stoped selling them over the counter was some bone head decided to rub his eyes after applying and it burned his eyes very bad and he sued! Ive never had a problem with drowseyness. I dont get very sea sick but have before. The patch cures any bad feelings! My thoughs are if you think your going to get sick you will. If your confident you wont get sick you wont. But wearing the patch eliminates all problems! I forgot to say that i fished about an hour in the marina for rays and got one bite. missed the ray. If your interested use 40lb minimum gear. They can wrap in the pilings and break you off. Catch jacksmelt in the marina and use them as cut bait.

Striperman

Collegebound
08-17-2005, 06:31 PM
There are some pipe updwellings off oyster point, and sharks and rays are always hanging out there. I also pulled my first striper out of there. :)
Still trying to locate good halibut spots in the south bay. Anyone know any?
mike

redherring
08-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Another important thing that I have found is that you should always eat something thoughout the day to keep your stomach acid down. For some reason it seems that when your body is trying to equalize your stomach starts pumping out extra acid and by snacking you can neutrulize some of it. I use to get sick not so much from the naseua but from my stomach turning sour. I tend to stay away from acid rich food or drinks like coffee or orange juice and that helps alot. Through the years I have built up a better tolerance to motion sickness and seldom even feel it anymore, but I still take dramimine the night before.

ken_fishnfool
08-18-2005, 11:25 AM
Beef Jerky, bread, and water plus a solid breakfast before you leave home can make a world of difference when you finally get out there.

And finmuffin, there are some awesome halibut spots in the San Francisco airport, Candlestick, and Alameda areas. They are just a little slow this year (again).

MB_Kevin
08-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Drink alot of beer the night before and like striperman said be confident your not going to get sick or you will. I think that is part of the Dramamine and patch thing. It makes you think you wont be sick so it helps. I have never gotten so sick on a boat to have to through up but have felt a little sick but I just look at the horizon and then forget about it when Its time to fish ;)

Striperman
08-19-2005, 01:18 PM
haha fish is the best cure! Fish can cure even the worst seasickness! ;D ;) 8)

Striperman