PDA

View Full Version : Have the Albacore made a showing yet?

gmdcdvm
08-07-2005, 07:17 PM
Just wondering if its going to happen this year. I read a few reports that they have been catching a few out of Monterey and Santa Cruz, but it doesn't sound like anythings happening out of the Golden Gate.

triggerfish
08-07-2005, 09:20 PM
its about a 70 mile run from Monterey or Morro bay. A little far for most boats.the fish are 10 to 20 with not wide open bites. its not looking too good.but that can change! "I HOPE,I HOPE!!!!" They have been doing well in oregon but that is a little far.

gmdcdvm
08-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Dam, no good. I just got back from a 5 day trip out of San Diego, and I still have the itch to catch some albies. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Striperman
08-08-2005, 09:00 AM
What boat out of SD did you go on? How was the trip? Im also itching to catch some albies! I dont wanta go out if its no good though!

Striperman

judyann
08-10-2005, 01:20 PM
They're here, a good score this week at the weenie and around the 601.

Intimidator
08-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Do i dare take the Intimidator out after them?
After my trip aboard the legend and all the Tuna hitting the deck....I just might do it this year.

triggerfish
08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
judyann,how far of a run is it to the 601 and the productive tuna grounds?

blue_chrush
08-10-2005, 10:18 PM
from montery to the wennie is like 25/30mi
and from hmb to the 601 is 35miles...
the scores are still only like 1=5fish a boat... :P
san diego is really good right now and some good
#s at the channel islands in santa barbra too....
thats like 20mi.

gmdcdvm
08-10-2005, 11:13 PM
I went out on the Polaris Supreme, and had a great time. The captain and crew were awesome, but even better yet was the chef. He is a retired gourment chef who used to be the head chef for Marriot Industries, and Hilton Industries, along with various other places. Let me tell you this guy can cook like no bodies business.

As for the fishing. We had one really good day of albacore fishing. One really good day of yellow tail fish at Isla De Guadalupe, and two extremely slow days. The highligh though were the two great whites who showed up and started taking the occasional yellow tail off people lines. Pretty awesome stuff.

Intimidator
08-11-2005, 05:36 AM
We fished on the Legend.......It was WFO for three days.
If those boys start showing up in some good numbers I'm in.

judyann
08-11-2005, 11:51 AM
the 601 area is 34 miles from HMB, today on coastside they are hitting them 28 miles from the barn. Intimidator, tell Tunacious that you're jumping on his boat, and to stop playing with the salmon. Boats in the shop, and I can't get out for 3 more weeks, they're catching slugs over 30 lbs too.

judyann
08-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Blue Crush, the fish are in, Bubbas tub already has 12 in the boat. as of this morning. They said it's a 2 mile area, with crashing birds and jumpers, I'm sure a ton of people are running saturday, so you could easily find a running mate. Doesn't get much better then what they're seeing, crystal blue water and very defined temp breaks. FAC seas yesterday.

mtinrunner
08-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Hi guys, glad to hear they are in? I'd like to take my boat out following along with some experienced fisherman and chase some albies. Any suggestions on the best way to get in touch. Thanks

Intimidator
08-12-2005, 05:46 AM
I'm stoping by the shop today after work....I'll see what's going on with the Judy ann.
I'll have to give Captian Ron a call about that Salmon fishing and get him to take me and that machine of his out after those Albies.

redherring
08-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Can you guys give me some basic Albacore101 on the type of gear and tackle used? I have never been before, but there is a slight chance that we might try this coming Sunday on a private charter. Just want to be prepared and have my fingers crossed that we will go for it.......

Thanks ahead of time......

marnilr
08-13-2005, 06:21 AM
I went out on the Polaris Supreme, and had a great time. The captain and crew were awesome, but even better yet was the chef.

El Jefe,

I had the same experience with them last year. Tommy, Drew, Javier, Dave, Kevin... all were wonderful! It was an amazing experience and I would go again in a heartbeat. I would highly recommend that boat/crew/trip for anyone that wanted to go on a long range trip like that. There were a few guys on our trip that had been on other boats out of SD and they all said that Tommy and crew are definitely the BEST! I'm hoping we can make another trip next summer. :)

judyann
08-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Redherring,

did you get out? If you want to get set up call or go by IWE sport fishing in Natomas, ask for Spence or Curt, they'll hook you up. You really can get away with cheaper rods and reels if you don't go often. We use to troll with 113H 4/O but have now upgraded to TLDs and one Tiagra, not really neccessary, but have them so I can also use them for long range trips. My main advice if you go is to run all colors (Franko Method) this will help you get multiple hook-ups. Darks for over cast (purple and Black) and lights for sunny days ( Zuccini or natural cedar plugs) Some people troll Mexican flag all day. Check out out coastside tutorial, The franko method tells it all. Last advice is to run a fish trap 15 to 20 feet back, we always hook up a fish on the slide.

judyann
08-17-2005, 08:38 AM
Intimidator, did you swing by Bucks? Is the boat out there? I'm running on the new golden eye tomorrow for a combo trip, some fraternity allumni event. So I've got time.

gmdcdvm
08-17-2005, 12:13 PM
No doubt,
The captain and crew were awesome. I am definitely going again next year. Just the food alone was worth the trip: prime rib, steak and lobster, posole, halibut, appetizers...