PDA

View Full Version : matching the reel to the rod

Numba1GI
08-14-2005, 05:19 PM
Been lurking for at least 4 years, but never post. Awesome site. Great people and stories. I owe thanks to this site for many succesful trips from the Highway 4 coridor and the many Twin Lakes and Walker River trips to grubbing for perch at all the nude beaches (i am not a nudist, just enjoy the scenery) and the many all niters spent drinking beer and catching rays and sharks on the shores of SF Bay.
Thanks for a great magazine and website.

What do I need to look for when I am matching a spinning reel to a rod? I want maximum casting distance using 3-8 ounces of weight. Would less guides be better? Limber or stiff? I have never used a level wind, but always see surf and pier fisherman using these and it doesnt seem they cast as far as I am although I have read they are better for distance. Is there anything I can be aware of besides obviously matching the centerline of the first eye to the centerline of the reel (spinning)? I have never really considered rod action or the number of guides. Or should I buy a levelwind? Is the assumption longer is better?

Waterworks
08-14-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm a person who has recently been introduced to bate cast reels for lake bass fishing and for ease of use, I love small bait casters for bass since they have a thumb button for releasing the bail. However, on the larger bait cast reels I have noticed that it still takes two hands to cast.
After a few months the snarl danger of bait casters has calmed quite a bit. Still, for long distance I like the spinning reel. Just want to remind that large eyelets on a pole mean spinning reel, as small ones on bass poles are for baitcasters. It seems to me that stiff poles are not best for distance and really slim tipped or slim bodied poles are not best either. Something in the middle seems best for me.
Thanks

alantani
08-16-2005, 04:56 PM
how to rate a rod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is my response to an e-mail from someone in europe asking about how to determine what line weight to use on an unmarked rod. the conversion is 2.2 pounds per kg and very roughly 3.2 feet per meter. i hope i din't screw up any of the conversions.

"martin, my friend, i welcome your questions. there is a little math to be done. you need paper, a pencil, and an assortment of 1 kg weights. for lighter rods, use a 4 liter (4kg) plastic jug the you can simply fill with water for the desired amount of weight.

if we need to establish the proper rating for a rod, here is the proceedure....

1. place any reel on the rod with any heavy line (it does not matter). run the line through the guides and tie the water jug at the end. place the rod in a holder of some sort so that the rod butt rests at a 45 degree angle. now add water or weight until the rod bends to a desired flex.

i personally want the rod tip to bend until the tip is half way to 2/3rds of the way down to the butt cap of the rod. you may desire more or less. it depends upon the type of rod and your personal preferences.

2. now measure or total up the weight. let's say that you have a medium weight rod that flexes to a desired amount with only 5 kg. you have now determined the proper drag setting for your rod.

3. now choose a line weight. different people have different preferences. you may fish as heavy a drag setting as 33% or as light as 25%. anything more risks line breakage. anything less is wasted unless line abrasion resistence is a concern. with a desired 5kg drag setting at a 25%, you need a 20kg line.

4. now chose a line capacity. you may choose 100, 200, 300, 400 or 500 meters. in open water, you typically fight a 20kg fish with only the first 100 meters of 20kg mono. in moving water or fish up to twice the line rating, 150 meters. i use 300 meters for smaller tuna, 500 meters for the big ones. personally, on my long range trips, i fish with 400 meters of 36kg spectra and a 150 meter topshot of 27kg mono, drags set at 9kg at strike, for fish up to 50kg. the san diego boats fish at anchor, so my platform is stationary. if you have the option to back down a fish, you could use less.

5. now pick the size of the reel. are you fishing with straight mono or spectra with a mono topshot. what ever the situation, you pick the size of the spool to fit the required amount of line and still deliver the required amount of drag pressure.

i hope this helps. alan"

judyann
08-17-2005, 10:01 AM
What's up Alan,
you're all over the place. Any Tuna runs for you this year?