PDA

View Full Version : Surf Perch: Orange County/So Cal

phatfish
08-12-2005, 08:46 AM
I've recently moved to Orange County and am looking for a place to catch surf perch. I'm from Northern California and usually fished the Pt. Reyes/Bodega Bay area for Redtail Perch so I want to know if the techniques are the same for Southern California? Any help would be appreciated.

Pimpinmeat
08-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Where in OC are you located. There are a ton of places to go. I fly fish the Santa Ana River mouth alot. Some good perch, corbina, and halibut fishing there. Off of Bolsa chica State beach there are some good holes. Laguna Beach has some awesome spots but there are not that easy to describe or find if you don't now the area. Stop in at Fishermans Haredware in Huntington Beach or Big Fish in Seal Beach for more detailed info. I would be willing to take a fellow sniffer out if your intersted.

gmdcdvm
08-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey Phatfish,
I am originally from San Diego, but I live in the east bay now. There is a website which has a lot of members and great info. Most of these guys are from southern california, and a ton of them are from Orange county. They have various discussion boards, but the one you would be interested in would be the Surf Fishing board. You can register for free, and they are more than willing to share info. with you in general. Although some are a little reluctant to give up their honey holes. Check it out...

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/index.html

phatfish
08-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Many Thanks Pimpinmeat & El Jefe Chingon! I'm in Irvine. So can reach all the beaches in OC. I hear the best way to catch fish is with flies, but I'll have to get some more spinning practice first. Since I'm new to Socal Perch fishing I don't want to take any secret spots away . . yet. What are the best months for catching perch here and most importantly what's the limit? I normally set them free unless some friends are over for dinner!

Finally, any general beach would be fine. With some general markes (visual rocks, lifeguard stands, etc. I just want to go where I won't hook any surfers, swimmers, etc while I learn to cath these things!

Thanks again,

Phat Fish

Flipper266
08-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Check out pierfishing.com also. Lots of SoCali's post there.

Pimpinmeat
08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't know why you wouldn't want to hook any surfers or swimmers, they put up one hell of a fight. IM with a email address and I'll line you out with a couple spots.