PDA

View Full Version : My personal best day at New Melones

currdog7
12-12-2013, 02:13 PM
So for the first time in awhile I was able to take my son fishing. (We just had our fourth so getting a little time away with my little man is more scarce).

Anyways we went to Tuttletown Recreation Area at Melones. If you are wondering it measured at 15".
Fished all the way down past the boat ramp. Got their about 9:45 AM and had our limit at 11:05 AM. This was a first for me. Usually we just catch a few.

So we used Chartreuse and White Power Eggs. 1 of each color on each hook. Ran a 24"-36" lead and let them float the hook up off the bottom. With a kid Power Eggs have worked well for me.

Here are a few pics.

salmonid
12-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Looks like a good time for both of you!

Best,

Rugby Lock
12-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Three generations of anglers! Brilliant stuff!

sollimes
12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
Congratz on ur best day at Melones!! Im sure there will be more to come.
Now its time to take the kids. Lots of fish around that area.

currdog7
12-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Maybe is was the good luck of bringing a trash bag and filling it with trash on our walk in. I remember someone on Fish Sniffer always saying something about taking the trash with you. We took our trash and several others.

PapaGreg
12-12-2013, 03:36 PM
currdog, GREAT job on the trash, we need more people like you!!!!!!! Super going with your son, he'll remember this trip for life. You got there just about the time I was leaving, there were probably 8-10 people fishing right near the boat docks before you got there and they all limited early. I could see some BIG fish when I stopped and checked the area out before I left, wish I could have gotten them to bite when I was there.

heatsource
12-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Thats great!
heartwarming images
:)

Steve079
12-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Congrats on a great day for you and your son. That power egg set has been a great set up there, nice to be able to catch multiple fish on them.

RideNfish
12-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Way to go Currdog,
I got there at 10:45 and think I saw you on the point. I never sat down just kept throwing lures and walking.

THANK YOU on the trash. What a wonderful thing to teach your kids. It might of been me and Marv you saw about the trash. I carry trash bags in my backpack and if I sit in an area for awhile I will pick up extra. I have even taken before and after photos in some areas.

So for any of you readers that leave trash SHAME ON YOU! I had about a 12' piece of line I had to break off and rolled it up and put it in my pocket. :-)

Sorry to get off track....

So good to see you and your son get into fish. Especially since they can get bored easily if the fish aren't biting. I thought I saw you haul up the stringer to the parking lot.

Cheers,

Troutoholic
12-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Maybe is was the good luck of bringing a trash bag and filling it with trash on our walk in. I remember someone on Fish Sniffer always saying something about taking the trash with you. We took our trash and several others.

Your awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

CAL916BEAR
12-13-2013, 01:07 PM
Great job man! On the fish and trash, sounds like u cleaned em out for real! Lol. Im hopin to make my first trip to NM next week hope I can say the same!

currdog7
12-13-2013, 11:06 PM
RideNFish, That was probably us, we had a basket and a stringer. We had family in town visiting so we got the fish home, cleaned them, and grilled trout for a surprise lunch for everyone. Hard to beat grilled trout.

Funniest thing my son said (He was using an ultra lite rod). He had reeled in a few fish already and then a 15" hit and for his little arms he was giving it all he had. He finally said, I am all out of strength so I got to help reel it in some. Very funny moment.

Brutus20
12-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Loved the pictures. The smile on your boys face in the last pic is priceless. I'll bet you got a fan for life. Great job and thanks for posting. Well done on the trash pickup. It seems like it should be automatic , but unfortunately for a lot of folks its not.

.................Brutus........

Marv
12-16-2013, 11:55 AM
Congrats looks like you guys had fun. Thanks for picking up after sloppy people. Look at my signature under my post :)

I need to catch some planters for the grill myself :)