PDA

View Full Version : Halibut report 8-11

dogfish30
08-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Got the halibut skunk off me at last! Went out for some yesterday. Started trolling in Paridise Cove about 7:30, when according to the skipper the tides were prefect. We had three to twenty pounds in the box in an hour. Then the bite died. We trolled some more in the same area, then moved and did a drift on the west side of Angel Island. Nada. We then went out side to seal rock for a long drift. Again, nada. Next we tried just outside the potato patch. Same results. Finally we went back inside and trolled again starting just south of Red Rock. You guessed it, zip. I did have a very good time though. Caught my first halibut, and for the better part of the day it was sunny and warm, and the water was good too. We caught all three fish trolling anchovies on a two hook set up that had been soak in crushed ice, salt, and a blueing agent made for blueing laundry. This kept the bait fresh, and firm. Can't wait to do it again. Good luck DF30

redherring
08-12-2005, 10:58 AM
Congrats Dogfish!!! Wish the Halibut bite was a bit better this year, it actually hasn't been the same since they started driving pilings for the new Bay Bridge a few years ago. Its alot of fun when they suicide you while your fishing a 3 way rig and hearing your reel scream!

ZACK
08-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Went out yesterday myself. I was out in a tiny little 16 (actually 15 1/2 ft) Try Hull. Fished most of the day in the bay and didn't catch JACK! Went outside the gate and nothing. Hit some rocky reefs and got some rock cod than back into the bay and around 6pm caught 2# Halibut to 15lbs. Tuff fishing but a fun day just the same. I too miss the fishing 3 or more years ago. I remember when a limit was 5 and not that difficult to get.

ZACK!

gmdcdvm
08-13-2005, 08:38 AM
I keep sitting here readin the reports and waiting for the flattie bite to pick up, but its getting into mid August and still nothing spectacular. Oh well, guess I'll just have to go out and hit the rock fish again on a pot luck boat. You never know, I might get lucky again and get another one.

ZACK
08-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news bad if your waiting for the peak of the halibut season to get here it is already over. In fact like I have said here before it was over before it started. This season, and the last couple for that matter have just flat out SUCKED! Gone are the days where you at least get your anchovies tail ripped every drift and go home with either full or near limits. Letís all hope for better years to come.

Season "usually" begins as early as May and can last as late as October. One of my best memories was taking my wives uncle and sons who were visiting from Utah out during fleet week watching the Blue Angels and Stealth Bomber over our heads and just nailing striper after striper with a good number of nice halibut in there as well.

Bait moves in the bay in the summer bringing in all sorts of predator fish with them. Ask your bait man where they are getting their bait and you'll have a good idea where the fish are or aren't. Most charter boats have abandoned the bay all together (not a good sign) and simply head out the gate and treat their clients to a variety of fishing to make up for the absent fish in the bay. Believe me if the fishing in the bay was worth a damn they would like nothing better than to conserve fuel and stay in but that is not the case.

Every year there is this pattern. Get out on the bay early in the season and ask the bait man where the bait coming from and if it is all outside guess what the fishing in the bay most likely hasn't turned on yet. Another bad sign at the bait dock is when you get a batch of mostly or all Sardines.

There are still buts in the bay as we found some Thursday but they are like finding a needle in a hay stack at the moment. I will continue to make a few more runs before it shuts down completely but that is about It.

I'll keep you posted. ZACK!

gmdcdvm
08-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Man,
You got me depressed. Oh well, I guess I should be happy I caught one this year out of the three times I went out on the bay for stiper and halibut on the live bait pot luck boats.
I wont give up hope, but I'll need to lower my expectations. I guess there is always next year. Good luck and keep us posted.
G