PDA

View Full Version : Reading NOAA forecast

AllFishNoWork
08-11-2005, 09:45 AM
If this was the forecast for a day going out on a charter boat....

NW WIND 10 TO 20 KT. WIND WAVES 3 TO 4 FT. NW SWELL 5 TO 6
FT. AREAS OF FOG...THEN PATCHY FOG.

Is that calm, fairly calm, kinda rough, rough, really rough or people throwin up everywhere rough?

What is most important to consider; wind, wind waves or swell?

judyann
08-11-2005, 12:58 PM
A bit of wind, I always look at the wave intervals when I read the forcasts, because 10-12 foot waves with 15 second intervals is still pretty calm, compared to 6 by 6 waves. It also depends were you are going, because the direction of the wind may not effect where you are going to fish. Fog is usually good, because it means less wind. The power is in the swell, and the wind waves just create chop, making the ride rough. Usuall on a big party boat, that type of forcast won't be bad.

GXC6
08-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Judyann is right. Wave period along with the other info makes a big difference. That forecast doesn't sound too bad on a PB, depending on how big the boat is. Stay near the back of the boat, the ride is much nicer than near the bow, if you can stand the cigar smoke, LOL!
PismoG

AllFishNoWork
08-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Good info is worth reading twice Gary. :D But if you want to remove one, just click on remove in the upper right hand corner of the post.

GXC6
08-12-2005, 02:10 PM
AllFish, thanks, I never noticed that button. That will help keeping the posts uncluttered.
PismoG