PDA

View Full Version : Green Lingcod????

Fish King
08-05-2005, 08:47 PM
I was just wondering what the difference is between a regular ling and a green ling? They seem to taste the same, so I would just like to know what the different color means. Thanks. :)

Fishbutt21
08-06-2005, 02:51 AM
I am not sure but I was told the green ones are not ripe yet ;D
FB21

AllFishNoWork
08-06-2005, 05:43 AM
Maybe this will help

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/rockfish/kelpgreenling.html

Supperman
08-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey!
The kelp greenling is a different species. SOmetimes they are referred to as sea trout, I think because they taste very much like trout.
Anyway, here is the info you asked for...a pretty neat site..
http://www.racerocks.com/racerock/eco/taxalab/bio2002/ophiodone.htm

Fish On!

AllFishNoWork
08-06-2005, 09:17 AM
I guess I mis-understood the question. Here is another link to LING COD or Ophiodon elongatus

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/game_fish/lingcod.phtml

I am not sure but I was told the green ones are not ripe yet
You may be right, from what I read the green ones are smaller.

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Hey Fish King did you mean the color of the fish or the color of the flesh?

I've seen Lings with meat that goes from brown, blue, green and even red a few times.

I'm not sure why they are like this and it isn't something you need to worry about as the meat turns snow white when it is cooked.

Fish King
08-06-2005, 04:31 PM
I was wondering why the fish and the meat is green. I just think that it's a little strange for it to be green.

blue_chrush
08-06-2005, 05:41 PM
The colouring is typically bold, mottled colors in shades of brown, grey or green. it is thought that the females are the blue ones....

ps,
lingcod is the worst tasteing fish of all,
and I would be happy to get them off your hands
so you don't have to be sujected to the fowl taste...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fish King
08-06-2005, 05:48 PM
The worst tasting fish? lol. I find it pretty damn good. :D

AllFishNoWork
08-06-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey Blue, you must be cooking it wrong, so if you got some bring it over and I'll show you how to cook it. ;)

fathom
08-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Just my thought, I have caught a # of the green\blue ones and a good # of them have had squid and octopus in them. So I have all ways thought it was the ink that gave them the color. But I do think the green ones have a sweeter and better taste.

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-07-2005, 07:34 AM
The colouring is typically bold, mottled colors in shades of brown, grey or green. it is thought that the females are the blue ones....

ps,
lingcod is the worst tasteing fish of all,
and I would be happy to get them off your hands
so you don't have to be sujected to the fowl taste...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, just as bad as those nasty tasting horrible White Sea Bass. ;D

Hogsbro
08-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Yeah, just as bad as those nasty tasting horrible White Sea Bass. ;D

But not quite as bad as those putrid fresh halibut!

blue_chrush
08-07-2005, 09:06 AM
and what about the greesy smelly salmon too... :P
yup, I will glady take these fowl creatures off your hands. ;) ;D ;D ;D

Team_Sheryl_Lee
08-07-2005, 12:28 PM
as i casually glance to the back yard to see smoke....
yes....everything is truning fowl...
may require a taste test soon...before passing it on to those of you who enjoy bad taste

TSL

ps: the wife said i should stay home this weekend...if i make life terrible for her will she perfer me to be gone on weekends again?

Rusty_Hooks
08-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Have any of you ever seen Cabazone?

Green meat

Ugly...like its brother the ling cod.....and also a fowl tasting piece of fish...... ::) 8) ;D

I guess I'll have to throw out all that stuff in the freezer ::) ;D ;D

I smell another Q coming on.... ;)

Fish King
08-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Are all of you guys being sarcastic or what? As I read these posts I am getting a little confused. ???

Rock_Hopper
08-08-2005, 01:58 PM
They're all just being wiseguys. ;D

In my opinion there is no difference in lings of differing colors. I've caught blue, green, orange, purplish, and "mottled" colored lings before. And I've caught both blue and mottled females - so that's not the case either.

In the end they're all the same fish. I think different colors come from different habitats, but to slightly discredit even that theory - I've caught all of the colors I mentioned above from the Bodega Jetties!

gone fishin
08-08-2005, 04:10 PM
The ling cods change color depending on their diet. If they are feeding on anchovies, shrimp, krill, crabs and so on...
The best tasting lings in my opinion is when they are feeding on shrimp or krill. This is when they turn the bluish/green color.
I caught a 20 lber last Saturday and it was very bluish in color. He spatted up a hand full of krill. I'm Going to grill it up tonight. I'll let you know.... ;D ;D

saltfisher
08-09-2005, 09:59 PM
Like Gone fishin said. Depends on their diet. Just like Flamingos get their colro from eating Shrimp, Lingcod get theirs from the food they eat. I have a book form a biologist in Washington and after 15 years of studies he and his Scientific group concluded that the blue and greenish colors come from eating crab and also they have the ability to turn a slight bluish or greenish color to mathc their surrondings.

themayor
08-10-2005, 08:48 AM
I'm with Rusty-Hooks,
I think you are refering to a Cabazone. Blueish-Green meat, looks like a ling, tastes fabulous in butter and garlic!!!! : ;D

Fishbutt21
08-10-2005, 08:54 AM
If you go back to My posting on Aug 2nd named "big fish" there is a pic of my son with a ling that is as blue as his jeans but it is not a very good pic and you just can't see the color

saltfisher
08-12-2005, 02:36 AM
themayor, I am referring to the Cabezon. They do have similar characteristics as a Ling but are still distinctly different. Cabezon do turn colors but not as deep blue or green like Lingcod.

Rusty_Hooks
08-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Saltfisher...always the diplomat ;D ;D ;)

They are two distinctive fishes and they do look an awful lot like one another :-/

but Lings do have the shading...I've seen them from red brown to blue green and it is the diet...but

The flesh of the ling is light in color, where the flesh of the cab is blue green with a sweetish flavor....

not Swedish ..Paul..(I am from Hagstrom blood) ::)

It may bvery well be from what they eat...but the blood veining of the cab is bluegreen as well...

I've caught both fish out of the same hole on the same day and had them both for dinner...bluegreen and light cream to white......no argument meant here....point of view 8)

Where's doc when you need him?? ;D

He has the butter and garlic like the mayor suggested ;) ;D ;D

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Are all of you guys being sarcastic or what? As I read these posts I am getting a little confused. ???

Moi?! Sarcastic NEVER! Smarta$$... You betcha Red rider, every day.

One time after I married my 3rd wife (No comments here) I brought home a 15-18# ling that was the prettiest green you ever saw, the wifey took one look at it and said "I'm NOT eating that! I only eat fish that has white meat"

Period, end of story and nothing I could say would change her mind. Ok no problemo, I volunteered to cook the fish and told her that I wasn't going to waste it and she said "You keep that green stuff seperate from the good fish".

I of course promised I would, so I proceded to batter dip a beautiful batch of rockfish and ling and fried it to a delectable golden brown in peanut oil.

We had a big green salad and some fresh home grown zuchinni along with the fish, I of course started working on the plate of that horrible green meat with obvious relish. (We're talking hog heaven here. Lol)

She noticed the sparks comming off the plate and said how is it? I said well it's edible...if you like green meat.

She said Well I might as well try some since you went to the trouble of cooking it...she took a bite and her eyes got big and she says "That's wonderful fish! Why didn't you tell me?".

I grinned and said I tried but you'd made up your mind it wasn't good before you tried it.

She's never forgiven be for that little trick.

Like I said sarcastic, never...wisea$$, always. ;D

Jan