PDA

View Full Version : Closest Bodega Bottom Fishing

fishwrong
08-08-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm new to the board. I've been lurking for quite a while and am completely impressed with the expert knowledge and information provided by this board.

I'm heading for Bodega Bay this weekend. Fished Salmon and Albacore out of Bodega in the past on other boats. I've got a 21' Fishrite and want to get some bottom fishing in this weekend. My question is, where is the closest reasonable bottom fishing. I know there is some off of Bodega Head but consistant fishing normally means going farther. Which is closer, Russian River/Salt Point area or Point Reyes?

My thinking is that North is the better option because even if it does get rough, it will be a downhill run to get home. With that said I don't want to get caught 30 miles from the Harbor if it kicks up and knock my teeth out to get home.

Also, any areas we can't bottom fish? I know nothing over 120' and no Cordell Banks (That's off the grid for my boat anyway). I know there is an off limits area at Salt Point, but not sure exactly where the restricted area is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks alot.....

triggerfish
08-08-2005, 08:55 PM
North is deffenetly better rockfishing,and safer comming home.russian river is the closest,then ft.ross,tember cove,salt pt. then stewarts pt. ,sea ranch. *it depends on the forcast, and the wind. you need to go about 10miles to start getting into the better spots.I usally start around salt pt. the bottom fishing is great. *the only spot that is off limits is grisel cove in the salt pt.state park. * and off of pt Reyes,South of the lighthouse. I hope this helps.

fishwrong
08-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Triggerfish.... Thanks for the reply. That is very helpfull. Unfortunately plans have changed and I wont be able to make it out until next weekend. One more quick question. Can you launch early out of Doran Beach or do you have to run around to the Westside launch?

Thanks for the info and I'll be sure to post a report after the trip....

triggerfish
08-11-2005, 04:54 PM
I launch out of doran on weekends,a little less crouded,but not as nice of a ramp.