PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid question.

Jeepman775
12-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Bought a 15'5 Gregor recently. Haven't has it out on the water yet. Never fished Pyramid before and was thinking of giving it a shot. I have no clue where to launch or where the good spots are. I also don't have down riggers or lead core.

Should I even bother?

OYD
12-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Bought a 15'5 Gregor recently. Haven't has it out on the water yet. Never fished Pyramid before and was thinking of giving it a shot. I have no clue where to launch or where the good spots are. I also don't have down riggers or lead core.

Should I even bother?

By all means, you can give it a good try. You will be able to launch either at the marina or at the primary (all size boat) launch at Pelican. Diving plugs can work and at certain times the fish are shallow both in near shore and over deeper water when they are feeding. You can also use banana weights about 6 feet ahead of your spoon or plug to get deeper. About a month ago I was catching fish toplining with plugs that would dive 8-10 feet.
Since the fish move in along the shore and at other times are off shore (they can be deep, midlevel or even shallow when off shore) take your pick to start and if you spot no fish on the sonar or are getting no action, try the other area. Fish around the points in both shallow and deep water and when in near shore pay particular attention to going back and forth over the dropoffs.

Jeepman775
12-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Excellent info. Should give me a good start. What plugs should I be looking to pick up? Troll them naked or behind half-fasts or something?

dr.fish
12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Excellent info. Should give me a good start. What plugs should I be looking to pick up? Troll them naked or behind half-fasts or something?
I like U-20 flat fish, green frog or bleeding frog has been working well. GVF Draggins or Lyman plugs can also be good as well as an Apex. Troll the flatfish slowly around 1.6-1.8 mph but the other plugs about 2.0-3.0 mph. I usually troll them naked though some like to use a sling blade about 5-6 feet in front. You can also use a weight release or pink lady type diver to get your offering down. A fish finder can be very helpful. Look for areas where the green water changes to blue and that is likely a drop off. Fishing off of points of land can be very helpful. Pelican point, Spider point and Warrior point have been fishing well lately.

OYD
12-16-2013, 02:37 PM

You do not need any attractors at Pyramid and if you do use them sometimes you will get false hits since the fish hit the attractor rather than the lure. Everyone has their favorite go to lures and colors for Pyramid and spoons, flatfish and Lymans are popular. However, in my 38 years of fishing Pyramid lake I have yet to find a lure that does not work some of the time. A few years ago my wife was slaying them all year on small kokanee lures and cripplures. A previous year she was getting them fast and furious on deep diving (30 ft) bass plugs. You have lots of choices but you can narrow it down by starting with lures that recent posts show are working. If you would rather cast spoons or jig, you can also do use jigs, spoons or large spinners over rocky points and drop offs. Spoons in tui chub colors make excellent jigs out there.

Lifted
12-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Also keep in mind the wind at Pyramid can makes things gnarly even for boats bigger than yours. If you go early and stay close to shore it should be fine on a normal day, but don't expect to go charging across the lake, or get too far from the launch. You should definitely be able to get into some fish though!

Jeepman775
12-16-2013, 05:16 PM
I was going to try to stay close to launch until I was more comfortable with the boat. I have never run it so I am going to stay super safe. I hear Pyramid can be a scary piece of water.

Thanks for for the tips guys. Going to try to somewhat regularly fish this lake coming up so I am probably going to go look for some tackle up in Reno Friday.

Jeepman775
12-16-2013, 05:18 PM
I have some green and silver Gibbs jigs, those are Tui Chub colors right?

XPL051v3
12-16-2013, 09:02 PM

Should I even bother?

I took the old lady and my son along with Katfish back at the fest in Oct with my 15ft gregor. We had a blast and caught fish. I would def get lead core. I had downriggers that i bought for pyramid but never used them. We just used leadcore and it worked great. Anywhere from 2 - 3 colors. I hear there catching fish at about the same depth right now maybe 4 colors or 5 at max. Oh and about flashers, you don't need them. There to attract the fish, at Pyramid you don't need to attract them lol. We trolled Krokodiles in frog pattern and then a rainbow trout colored flatfish that we found floating on top that someone had lost. They do sell some cheap spoons at Crosbys that also worked well in frog colored pattern. Good luck!

-Xzi

Katfish
12-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Ok here we go....

Pyramid lake... What can I say. BEAUTIFUL place. Your gunna love it.

First and FOREMOST check the weather forecast. High winds can create some extremely dangerous conditions on this lake. Wouldn't want to be out on a 24' cabin cruiser let alone a 15,5" Gregor. dont get me wrong we went out in a similar boat and it worked out great but we were lucky and the weather was very cooperative. If the winds pick up watch to the south. If you see a dust cloud get the flock off the water.

I'd recommend launching at pelican beach. Nice launch with a wide 4 lane ramp. Good starting point as well and fish can be caught right in front of the beach.

As was mentioned you do not need attractors at pyramid. I would recommend Investing in lead core line. Let out anywhere from 3-5 colors with a 6-12' mono leader attached to the lure.

Make sure all your lures are barbless to comply with regs.

You can attach a swivel above the hooks to help your landing ratio because these fish tend to roll and the barbless hooks can take some getting used to. Lol

A perch Krocodile is a staple lure at this lake. Another popular color is frog.

Spoons 1/2-1oz in these colors produce regularly.

You can also topline Lyman's in similar patterns on straight mono with about 100' setbacks for some action.

Another member mentioned the banana weight method. Don't overlook it. Run similar lures as above.

One last tip on the lures. Think LMB fishing for 18-24" fish all day.

Good luck can't wait to read the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Katfish
12-16-2013, 11:41 PM
An +1 on the Crosby special spoons they kick bass!!!!!!

Sierra specials. 3/4 oz in perch killed em for me. $2.99 at crosby's ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Jetspray
12-17-2013, 05:23 AM
Make sure you follow the rules, it is a tribal area. Speed limits in Nevada and on the reservation are enforced and Nevada troopers have radar (no phones too). As was said bottom dragging as well as working in close are productive. Black & White colors (cop car), as well as frog, perch, plain white, or gold, red, green are top producers. Thing is if you are not getting hits, switch to something else and keep at it. I am not a happy camper unless I loose a little gear when fishing, otherwise I am not trying, the tuffa will relieve you of a lot of gear, and if your lures float they will most likely do so if you loose one. All in all have a good time and watch for the winds (sand dust ups) from the north or south, time to get off the water. And have some good PFD's and wear them. Make sure you have the proper permits that you can purchase at Crosby's in Suttcliff, they are a must camping, boating, and fishing are all permitted and you must have them with you. Dress warm.........Jetspray

Jeepman775
12-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Going to go pick up some tackle, and banana weights along with some lead core maybe for a couple of the non-level wind Penns I have laying around. Any special way to rig them for lead core? Need used such a thing before.

Pinched barbs are legal, correct?

Thanks for all the info guys. Never expected to get so much. Also printed out the article written by the UNR Biology Professor, and this thread.

Planning to launch at Pelican and after trolling close for a bit to make sure the new boat is running good heading up north along the shore working the drop off.

Jeepman775
12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Now that I have a plan for Sat it will be windy.

Jetspray
12-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Pinched barbs are OK, I use a dremel tool and grind them down. If I use the lure somewhere else I have new hooks to replace them. The leadcore setups I use have a swivel between the leadcore and leader (just peel back the leadcore, remove the lead, and tie through one end of the swivel, leader on the other). The swivels I use are size 6 spros which are plenty for Pyramid.......Jetspray http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SPSB%2DALL

Jetspray
12-17-2013, 04:38 PM
You also don't need to put much leadcore on your reel, just tie in with your mainline and reel up a few colors (like 6 max) and then put on your leader. You can peel back the outer line off the lead and snip off the lead, then thread in your line where the lead was & make a simple knot with that portion of line/leadcore sleeve and tie tightly (some guys put gel super glue on the line while sliding it into the sleeve. It all works if you practice a little and make sure the knots are good:bananatiedie:.......Jetspray

Jeepman775
12-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Went out there and gave it a shot, didn't get anything but have an idea of what to do next time based on watching what other people were doing. Saw a couple people bring in a couple real nice trout. Next time I go out I will be more serious about the fishing. I was more interested in learning the boat this time. Love the lake and it is certainly worth the time to learn it or go out with someone who knows what is up to fine tune. The water color is beautif.

On a side note this is my first real nice newer boat. Been fishing out of a 14' 1958 closed bow Seaswirl with a six horse two stroke. It is badass fishing out of a decent boat I tell ya. Another thing is I thought because it had a bilge pump it didn't have a plug. Tried my damnedest to sink the thing at the dock. Ended up yanking the thing up on the ramp to keep it off the bottom of the lake. While I was about to have a stoke thinking a stinger was cracked open or something terrible the guy launching next to us asked what was up and was like, you have the plug in it, ya dumbass?" Man that makes ya feel like a jackass. Ha ha. Those two guys were nice as hell and may well have saved my trip, as well as kept me from having a stroke. I owe them a case of beer. At least I know it will hold a ton of water know though. The side walls of the tires were bulging pretty good when we finally got the plug in it and on the trailer.

Jetspray
12-23-2013, 05:37 PM
I hate when that happens, good old forgot the plug. Last time that happened to me was Silver Lake about 2 years ago, I had left it out because I was expecting a boat inspection (which never happened). Lucky I saw the water coming in and we quickly pulled the boat out of the water:hitoverhead::action-smiley-034:......Jetspray

Jeepman775
12-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Going out to try it again tomorrow. Hopefully it is going to be a calm wind.

Captain Compassion
12-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Going out to try it again tomorrow. Hopefully it is going to be a calm wind.

Sunny with winds from the south around 3 mph. Sounds like a good day. I'll be back up there in one week. :banana:

CC