PDA

View Full Version : Bodega rockies Friday

The_Reel_Won
08-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Two quick limits of rocks and lings had to be off the water early so no Salmon but it sounded like another scratch bite? FAC no wind. slow drift. To bad about the Canary's It sure is a shame not being able to keep them. :-[

CORN
08-06-2005, 07:06 AM
Nice job. I've yet to catch a canary. Were you fishing deep?

The_Reel_Won
08-06-2005, 08:03 AM
Nice job. *I've yet to catch a canary. *Were you fishing deep?

Hi. On average I would say 70' to 50'. Very delicate fish. It's a shame.

Fish King
08-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Yeah I was up by Stewart's Point yesterday and all of the Canary rock fish that we caught were dead when they got to the surface. DFG needs to change the rules about these fish. Once you catch them their dead anyway. There's no point in throwing back dead fish. :(

gone fishin
08-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I went out rock fishing yesterday. we caught 3 Canaries and 4 cow cod. It killed me to throw them back and watch them just float on the water until 2 eagles flew down and took off with them.
This is the most idiotic regulation I have ever heard of. There is noway we are going to hurt the the population of these fish only catching them in 120 foot of water or less. But to throw dead fish back in the water to feed the marine life is redicules....
Something has to be done about this. We need to voice our opinion strongly to DFG to change this stupid rule.....

Fishbutt21
08-07-2005, 10:49 AM
The way DFG works is if we all say the current rules suck they will say back to us "If you Can't play by our rules you can't play at all" and then close the fishery :-[

gone fishin
08-07-2005, 11:40 AM
I don't believe that at all....The DFG won't have a job if they shut it down. They do listen to us fisherman. For the most part they are doing a good job in protecting our fishery.
I think (My opinion)they didn't take in account of the fish kill ratio when they enacted this rule. Its our job to let them know of the problem before it can be solved.
Sitting back ignoring the problem won't fix anything.

triggerfish
08-07-2005, 01:48 PM
gonefishin, Are you sure that those were cowcods? the only cows that I ever caught were at 400+ feet off of cordell. Anyways I toldely agree if sucks throwing back dieing canarys.

The_Reel_Won
08-07-2005, 05:24 PM
I hate to say it but if you force it, I can see them doing a blanket enforcement. Like a shorter season or something in order to protect one species. ???

I don't believe that at all....The DFG won't have a job if they shut it down. They do listen to us fisherman. For the most part they are doing a good job in protecting our fishery.
I think (My opinion)they didn't take in account of the fish kill ratio when they enacted this rule. Its our job to let them know of the problem before it can be solved.
Sitting back ignoring the problem won't fix anything.

mike22ca
08-07-2005, 08:34 PM
Me and a 3 other friends went out on Sat and a ton of canary's were caught. When released a few were able to take off, but a majority of them just floated on the top. It's sad for sure. There has to be something that can be done. With the numbers of them we were catching they sure didnt see endangered to me.

triggerfish
08-07-2005, 09:10 PM
I agree with T.R.O. if we dont push it.they probbaly wont create new regs. then in a year or five when they accutally do a real study ,they will realise that those canarys are in better shape than they thought.

gone fishin
08-08-2005, 10:19 AM
I caught and released 4 of these cowcods. These fish are found in 11 - 400 fms. anywhere from 60 feet to 2000 feet deep. Here is a picture of a cowcod, (also known as a roosterfish). When I brought these fish up from 80 - 100 feet deep. Their eyes popped out and their bladders came out their mouth. But the eagles sure liked them... ??? ???

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/odfw/finfish/sp/pix/cowcod.jpg

Here is a picture of a canary, I caught and released 3 of these. All floated and went to the sea life.

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/odfw/finfish/sp/pix/canary_live.jpg

Here is the yelloweye, real simular to the canary.

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/odfw/finfish/sp/pix/yelloweye_live.jpg

The_Reel_Won
08-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Nice pics Gone Fishing ;D

[quote author=Gone Fishin caught and released 4 of these cowcods. These fish are found in 11 - 400 fms. anywhere from 60 feet to 2000 feet deep. Here is a picture of a cowcod, (also known as a roosterfish). When I brought these fish up from 80 - 100 feet deep. Their eyes popped out and their bladders came out their mouth. But the eagles sure liked them... ??? ???

gone fishin
08-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Regarding the above concerns on killing the rock fish. I may have found a solution to releasing these fish un-harmed back to the bottom. Check out this web site.

http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD.html

somebody
08-10-2005, 09:54 AM
regarding catch and release and bringing them up from deep and their air bladder expanding from the change in hydrostatic pressure. at lake tahoe where the mackinaw are brought up from 1-200 ft. this is a normal occurence and in order for them to swim back down the air pressure must be relieved. a sharpened football needle inserted thru its side into the air bladder will relieve the pressure and sometime extra hand pressure on the side of the fish will help expell the air. this heals quickly and the fish survive. Mickey daniels has been doing this for 30 years at lake tahoe and tagging them for 25 years. he has re-caught his tagged fish as long as fifteen years since first caught. many other people have caught his tagged fish and called and told him where and when

The_Reel_Won
08-10-2005, 04:19 PM
I have to admit Bills gadget looks pretty cool, also the milk crate thing is pretty neat . You know where you weigh down a milk crate so it descends open end down. You put the rock fish inside and lower to about twenty feet and then he simply swims away. But I've never seen it done with canaries they just seem very fragile. So I really don't think it would work with canaries But I'm just guessing. I guess i should just rig one up and find out. It seem to me that once they have that glazed over eyes look, that they are pretty much gone for. And I have punctured the canaries air bladders, but its no good. Their gone. So now I have to find a small plastic milk crate. :)

Regarding the above concerns on killing the rock fish. I may have found a solution to releasing these fish un-harmed back to the bottom. Check out this web site.

http://www.sheltonproducts.com/SFD.html

Intimidator
08-10-2005, 04:40 PM
This is all good info for me to take to court with me on the 25th.
I fished Fort Ross last Friday and released four dead Canarys to the seagulls.........How is that protecting them?

triggerfish
08-10-2005, 05:41 PM
It seems to me that if you would have kept all the dead fish,there would have been LESS DEAD FISH! ???

Intimidator
08-11-2005, 05:37 AM
Not at 270.00 a fish you wouldn't keep em.

SUNRISECHASER
08-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Hey INTIMIDATOR when rock fishing, don't keep anything Orange and you'll be safe when checked at the dock! ::)

Intimidator
08-11-2005, 07:04 AM
10/4 on that.

misfits
08-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I totally agree with all of you on the canary and other species issues, it was totally frustrating to watch the blue sharks eat those canaries last year at fort bragg. So I decided to ask a warden why they only regulated a small variety of species that you could not take and he said the canaries and yellow eyes and the other regulated species grow so slowly that it takes them almost twice as long to reach sexual maturity as it would say a blue cod meaning the could be depleted just by keeping any of them. Its still tough to see them go be shark food.
Chris