PDA

View Full Version : any action, any fish

doccjc
08-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Newbie here,, great site,,,, If you were to take your son to any place to catch fish,, and just for the action of catching fish , any kind of fish within driving distance(day trip) of the san mateo area,,, where would you go? I'm looking to take my son somewhere, just to have a fish online,, anything,, would make his summer,,,

thanks

Doc

Redwine
08-04-2005, 08:14 AM
I would try the Pacifica pier.

doccjc
08-04-2005, 08:29 AM
At pacifica pier, do they allow crab nets,,,and do they rent poles at their bait shop? *is there a store close by to buy poles,,, we've only tried fresh water fishing at lakes, and need to buy some salt water poles and set ups,,, *thanks for the response,,
does anyone know of anything at half moon bay? I thought someone had mentioned a pier at half moon bay where you're assured some little fish,,

FishinFool408
08-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Newbie here,, great site,,,, *If you were to take your son to any place to catch fish,, and just for the action of catching fish , any *kind of fish * within driving distance(day trip) of the san mateo area,,, where would you go? *I'm looking to take my son somewhere, just to have a fish online,, *anything,, would make his summer,,,

thanks

Doc
PM Master Baiter. He could easily put you onto some sharks somewhere in your area if you are up for that.

redherring
08-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Did you wanna fish from a boat or shore? If you want to catch alot of fish guaranteed, then jump on a charter boat and go Rockcodding. Your son will have a blast and the experience of a lifetime, especially if its his first time. You can rent poles and buy tackle packages for a couple of bucks each at the marina. The weather is about as good as it gets right now!

doccjc
08-04-2005, 09:29 AM
I was thinking pier or shore,, , my son is 9,, and has never been out on one of those boats,, i'm a little concerned about him getting sea sick, Where would you recommend a chartered boat trip for Rockcodding? Any idea how far they go out and how long the trips last? Thanks for the info,,, I'm thinking we try a short trip(if they are offered) and go on a boat,,, I'm sure he'd have a great time..

redherring
08-04-2005, 11:22 AM
I usually like to go with the New Huck Finn out of emeryville which is a really fast boat that can get you out to the islands pretty quick or check out one of the Catamarans out of Berkeley (Golden Eye 2000 or El Dorado 3) these are very wide stable boats that are also very fast (less time traveling). The weather thru friday is pretty good right now, very little swell, no wind, and even sunshine after about 10am or check with one of the marinas ahead of time and let them know of your situation with your son and they will give you an honest answer about how the conditions are. Most of the boats have been fishing the Farrallon Islands the past couple of weeks since the fishing is so good there, so figure on leaving from a marina that can make a quicker run there like emeryville or Berkeley. I have found the best trick to sea sickness is to take some sort of motion sickness medicine the even prior to your trip, bring lots of snacks and keep eating through the day (this helps to absorb some of that extra stomach acid you produce, which seems to be a major cause of the weebee jeebees) and get plenty of sleep. Hope that helps.....

pulseczar
08-04-2005, 11:47 AM
If you want to catch a buttload of fish, I recommend pacifica pier on sabiki rigs, which you can buy at any bait and tackle store. Bait them up with little pieces of shrimp, and you'll be pulling up tons of fish.

Yeah they allow crab nets and I'm sure there's a takle shop a few blocks away from the pier with great information.

doccjc
08-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses,,,
We went out to Pacifica pier,,, *took our trout poles and 8 pound line,,, *size 10 hooks,, * *baited with pile worms,,, * he caught 22 fish,, *small perch,, *bullheads,,, *(fish that everyone else wanted off their lines),, we had a great time,, *it was perfect,,, * didnt see anyone catch any big fish out there,,, * * *now we know where to get that "fix" of hooking a fish,,,

Now we;ll need to try a charter boat and get some real action....

* we took our crabbing net and caught a bunch of dungeness crab,,, but threw them back,,, * *were told not in season,,, *very nice people on the pier,,,,

thanks again,,,

Fishbutt21
08-04-2005, 07:25 PM
sounds like the point of this thread was to have a good time with your son and you did a great job ;D.long memorys no matter how big the fish

redherring
08-05-2005, 08:33 AM
Glad to hear you both had a great time....We all here get that "urge" when we just want to go anywhere and just hook up some fish no matter what it may be. Like everyone says its all about having a good time!!! ;D ;D ;D

blue_chrush
08-05-2005, 08:01 PM
doccjc nice to see you had a good time.......
late post....
take a 1/2" pvc pipe about 8-10ft long and
drill a small hole in the end about 1/2-1" up
from the bottom...now attach a 12" leader of 30-50lb
test line with a #2 hook on it....now take squid and
cut one into like 4-5 strips the lenght of the squid..
and then go to the half moon bay jetty and walk out
1/3-1/2 way and poke the pole down into the cracks...
you will get eels and small rock fish....
its alot of fun and the eel is awsome and the kids
love poking around the rocks. you can cast out a
pole too......
this is a fun project and fun to do....
and there getting eel as of last week.....
have fun... ;) :D

wading2fish
08-06-2005, 01:07 PM
I was fishing the surf at Rockaway a few years ago when an older Japanese man walked by and went up on the rocks. All he had was a cane pole about twelve feet long with a leader and hook attached. He would bait a grass shrimp on the hook and poke it around the rocks. That was my first time I witnessed "Cane Poling". He walked away with a stringer full of eel and rockfish. I was impressed, and it looked like fun. A few weeks later I tried cane poling with my rod. It worked, and I took home a few eels. Eel tastes great. Cane poling can be alot fun not only for you, but for kids if you got any.

w2f

blue_chrush
08-06-2005, 05:25 PM
pole poking is great fun and the tackle is cheap,,
and the fun meter is at maximum.... :D

wading2fish
08-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Pole poking, that's what it's called. I was trying to think of the name but couldn't quite remember it.

gone fishin
08-07-2005, 09:42 AM
I was wondering what that was all about. I was coming in from the Bodega jetty yesterday from rock fishing all day. and I saw a lot of people with these long poles sticking them in the rocks.
Now I know, that would be a lot fun for anyone especially the kids. What a great idea.