PDA

View Full Version : Basic surf fishing info

Bern
08-05-2005, 07:53 AM
I am heading to New Brunswick camping, and plan to try my hand at surf fishing.

Have the rod, and the reel...that is about all I know. Looking for info. on line weight, and how to rig the line.Weight...hook...bait...etc, and in what order?

I am not an experienced fisherman, so easy to understand terms would work best.

We will be fishing near Kouchibouguac national park...any idea on possible catch?

Thanks Gents

MB_Kevin
08-05-2005, 11:03 PM
for stipers you can use 15 pound test tied to a swivel, then run about 2' of 25-40# shock leader to a snap. then tie on a hair raiser or popper.

or for perch go lighter and use a little plastic worm on the hook.
check the boards its all in here Im not the best one to tell you.

Bern
08-06-2005, 06:58 AM
Shock leader...guess i will see that in a store, packaged?

Lol...and what is a hair raiser or popper?

Bait?

Sorry, I am new to this....just thought the kids would enjoy it.

Thanks

wading2fish
08-06-2005, 01:17 PM
If you want a basic setup for kids, go to a tackle store. There you will find packaged surf leaders, they're cheap, you can buy a couple of packs. Buy some weights, 2-4 oz, some hooks in size 1-4. Put that all together and tie it on to your main line and you have your basic surf leader set up. I would recommend pile worms and/or grass shrimp, they're great. You'll catch surf perch, and who knows maybe even a striper, they also love pile worms. I wouldn't put kids with little or no fishing experience on poppers and hairraisers, they're a little more complicated to fish.

P.S. If your new to fishig start with the grass shrimp. Pile worms are a great bait, but they turn alot of people off because they have pinchers in front of their head that will hurt if they get em into you. They are also slimy and bleed when you cut them, but like I said, they are great bait. I use em all the time, I just cut the head off when I bait them so I don't have to worry about getting pinched.

w2f

Bern
08-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks, appreciate the help.

Regards
Bern

MB_Kevin
08-06-2005, 08:39 PM
you should be able to use this for surf perch. pile worms are fine but Im the master baiter. No cutting off heads just have them bite the hook and thread it on the hook. *If you are not into that...this could work and not messy. Im pretty sure surf perch will be there and could be fun for kids.
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1295/grubslinger7mq.jpg

wading2fish
08-06-2005, 09:39 PM
Im the master baiter. No cutting off heads just have them bite the hook

Hey why didn't I think of that.... You are the Master Baiter.