PDA

View Full Version : Tomales 8/3

Redwine
08-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Was out on Tomales at 10am today with my buddy Bruce.
The tides couldn't have been better for butt fishing, and there were only five other boats out on the water.

A light wind started to blow at around 11am and continued until 4pm when we returned, empty handed, to the boat ramp.

Had the lines in the water for the better part of five hours, but no luck!

We did manage to hook and bring up to the boat a four foot shovel-nose shark (think thats what you call them).

Even with no fish in the cooler it was still a great day to be out on the water.

Redwine

drift
08-04-2005, 10:58 PM
*The fish you caught was probably a skate. They look exactly like shovelnose guitarfish, which don't live in Northern California. Too bad you guys didn't catch anything. What were you using for bait?

Fishbutt21
08-05-2005, 07:20 AM
four foot skate sounds a little large but maybe it was a decent size angel shark.size of teeth will tell,and if it was a angel he WILL bite when you try to look :-[

Rock_Hopper
08-05-2005, 09:36 AM
There's been an increase in the number of shovelnose sharks caught in and around SF Bay. It is unlikey, but definitely NOT impossible that it was a shovelnose.

Like mentioned - other possibilities include skates, angel sharks, and thornback rays. Although a 4' thornback would probably be a record fish! I've caught 'em about 3' in Tomales.

Anyway - thanks for the report!

Redwine
08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Hey Drift,

To answer your question, my buddy was using a 2oz scampy. He was bouncing it off of the bottom while we drifted. We were on the north side of Hog Island when he hooked it.

Redwine

nogimmies
08-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Redwine,
Gotta- coulda -shoulda -Used L I V E --- B A I T .
Works better for those finicky Flatties.
I'm heading to Ft. Bragg on Monday Afternoon to try to hit that Salmon Bite. Sure the hell can't hit it here.
Whats in your plans?????