PDA

View Full Version : First Bat Ray!

Striperman
08-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Ok well i caught my first Bat Ray the other day. It was fun but it kinda has a story behind it. haha I was down in Oceanside for a baseball turni, and one day after one of our games(i threw a one hit shutout ;D, even though im a catcher) we went to the Oceanside pier. My buddy and I walked around and watched people fish (i didnt have a rod with me >:( ). Saw two guys hook two bats but they never landed em. One had to be around 80 or 90lbs!!! The biggest one anyone on the pier has ever seen hooked! But anyways we left and went and got some pizza and then came back. We were on the beach for a bit so my buddy and i decided to go talk to some kids on the pier that we were talking to before we left. We went up there and were talking to em and one of the clickers on a reel went off. The kid set the hook and put the rod in my hands! ;D :o haha 15 mins later i had my first bat ray! It was a fun experience! Now for a question. Hows the Bat Ray fishing out on the Berkly pier? What kind of bait? Thanks and sorry for the long story!

Striperman

pulseczar
08-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Congrats Striperman on your bat ray. I dont know about Berkeley pier, but according to the San Jose Mercury News, "The primary catches off the pier [San Francisco Bay] are mud marlins (bat ray) and leopard sharks."

I think the best rig for Bat Rays would be squid on a sliding sinker, but I've seen them caught on live shiners too.

wading2fish
08-04-2005, 06:49 PM
I don't know about the Berkeley pier either, but pretty much the whole bay is full of em. You can catch em near Candlestick, the Brisbane tubes, Oyster Pt., Genentech, Coyote Pt., Burlingame shoreline. You can catch em off the rocks or piers.All over the East bay you can also catch em. The biggest ones I have caught though were out of Tomales Bay fishing on the shore, I landed one I'm guessing around fifty pounds. I just recently got a digital cam and learned how to operate it, so I don't have pics, but all my future catches will be pictured.

w2f

Striperman
08-04-2005, 08:35 PM
I wish i had a camera! haha I wasnt really planning on fishing but it worked out good! haha They were catching mackeral off the pier and using them for bait. Just cutting big chunks and putting em on like a 6/0 live bait hook. Seamed to work well. I saw 3 or 4 other hookups! I might give it a try around berkley next week. Im going out on a day boat and probably going to take some time in the evening to fish for bats!

Striperman

MB_Kevin
08-04-2005, 09:55 PM
yea I dont think it matters the rig so much. just get the bait to the bottom. squid anchovies or what ever should work.
good luck

snwrdr
08-05-2005, 07:56 AM
Striperman,

If you want to hook into some rays, and it sounds like you are in the East bay I would strongly recommend the Alameda Rock wall. Squid with a sliding sinker (for more hookups inject with pro-cure butt juice). You will know you have a Ray when your rod just Pulls, not to much thrashing. You will hook into some sharks as well! the best place for rays is on the inside of the bay throwing out to the ships at high tide. or to walk out to the corner before you turn right on the rock wall and put out as if you are aiming at the Oakland airport. As well I have been hooking into some stripers on rattle traps, and hair raisers on the flood tide just as the sun is about or just has set.

Tight Lines,
Paul

snwrdr
08-05-2005, 07:59 AM
o-ya all the stripers that I am catching at the wall are full of smelt and shrimp. Good luck in your hunt for the rays they sure are fun to catch, bring a glove for protection, and make sure to burp them.

Rock_Hopper
08-05-2005, 09:44 AM
The rays are hitting at Berkeley right now. Squid on a sliding sinker is the ticket. I use 20 or 25lb test when fishing for mud marlins. Be sure to bring a crab net with you to land 'em, and be ready to lose some tackle when the rays dart under the pier and snap your line.

Should be a bunch of smoothounds in the Berkeley are now too.

Striperman
08-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks guys! Im probably going to give it a try some time next week!

Striperman

wading2fish
08-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Striperman,

If you want to hook into some rays, and it sounds like you are in the East bay I would strongly recommend the Alameda Rock wall. Squid with a sliding sinker (for more hookups inject with pro-cure butt juice). *You will know you have a Ray when your rod just Pulls, not to much thrashing. You will hook into some sharks as well! the best place for rays is on the inside of the bay throwing out to the ships at high tide. *or to walk out to the corner before you turn right on the rock wall and put out as if you are aiming at the Oakland airport. *As well I have been hooking into some stripers on rattle traps, and hair raisers on the flood tide just as the sun is about or just has set.

Tight Lines,
Paul

Paul,

I have asked this on another post before but didn't get a response. I live in Hayward and would like to know how to get to the rockwall. I have looked for it a couple of times without any luck, one day I even ran into another guy that was also looking for it.

Thanks,

w2f

snwrdr
08-05-2005, 04:09 PM
go down Webster (threw the tunnel from 880) turn right on central. *there is a bait shop on the right, Central bait and tackle 1/2 block from Webster when you turn right. continue down central about a mile you will see the high school on the left. *It has a big Jet out in front! AS SOON As you pass the school and the street turns right pull into the drive way on the left (it hard to see)If you kept going straigt as the street turns right you would run into it. Go to the back like you are going behind the high school and then it opens up.

Have fun fishing, let me know how you do
Paul

wading2fish
08-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks,

I know exactly where that jet is at. I'll post after I go there. Won't happen this weekend, Sat a wedding to go to. Sun I'm taking the kids perching maybe to Pescadero.

w2f