PDA

View Full Version : Bodega Rockfish....

Fish King
07-31-2005, 11:10 PM
I went north today with three buddies of mine and hammered the rockfish just a coouple miles south of Stewarts Point. We probably caught a total of 40 lings on the trip. Almost all of them were over 24" but we wanted to catch the big ones. The biggest ling was 20 pounds and the smallest was about 8 pounds. We also caught 40 rockfish, mostly big vermillions, olives, and blues. All of our rockfish easily averaged 2-4 pounds each. We also caught two nice cabezon to 18 inches. It was an awesome day on the water and the vermillions and lings were both going crazy. I have never caught so many lings on one trip before today. The long run up north is definitely worth it. The quality of the fish up north is amazing compared to down around Bodega. The farther north you go, the better quality fish you will catch. ;D

fishguts
08-01-2005, 09:58 AM
How was the water and wind?

Fish King
08-01-2005, 10:36 AM
The water was clear and there was no wind. The drift was really slow, so it was easy to use light tackle. :)

CORN
08-01-2005, 11:59 AM
Way to go! It's probably the same at HMB. The boats that get the big fish make a long run (south), hitting the reefs that aren't pounded to death by us smaller boats ;D I have yet to catch a vermillion in the reefs close to the harbor.

hqly2001
08-01-2005, 12:35 PM
how big of a boat do you need to go outside the golden gate to like seal beach or the farallons?
17ft good enough?

donzitroller
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
hqly2001, this past weekend, 7/30-7/31, my brother (Aintscared) took his 14' Klamath out to the 230' line west of Bodega Head so a 17' is no problem if the water is nice. Watch out in the afternoon when the wind comes up, it can get pretty nasty. He and our uncle got an 8# salmon at the 100' line at 37 deep, and did pretty well on the rockies. They picked up lings of 17# and 14# and an 8# Cabezon. Lots of other rockies of mixed variety. The water was awesome and the rock fishing was pretty sweet. Not so much for the salmon, but that's fishin for ya! FISH ON!

hqly2001
08-02-2005, 01:07 PM
man.. i'm confused.. a few people has said i was crazy for going out to sf bay with a 17footer.. and other have said they've taken out 13ft boat to seal rock and the ocean..
help... lol..
i don;t have a marine radio.. nor gps and depthfinder.. basically nothing..
guess it won;t kill me...

where do u go to see if it will be a nice day out there>?
i go to this tide website that states the wind, tide and swell.. but it confuses me.. do you have a source that is less confusing?

Team_Sheryl_Lee
08-02-2005, 04:31 PM
i don;t have a marine radio.. nor gps and depthfinder.. basically nothing..
guess it won;t kill me...

sorry to say but that is the wrong attitude for the ocean my friend

please dont go without a marine radio, gps, compass, and all the required safety gear

we do not want to here about your death

TSL

Fishbutt21
08-02-2005, 06:13 PM
I would recommend that you hook up with some one that has a bigger boat and has more experience in open water and learn the area that you want to fish and take some time to outfit your boat for the ocean before taking any chances.The ocean is a big and beautiful place but is not very forgiving and can cost you your life if not handled correctly.there are lots of nice folks here that will take you out and teach you the ropes, just for the asking.good luck and be SAFE

triggerfish
08-02-2005, 06:54 PM
I would try fishing INSIDE tommalass bay. It will give you experence and confidence. you can get a depthfinder in a trip or two,then a radio, then gps.etc. you should be fine in the bay. but always use common sence. maybee by next year you will be ready to go out safely in the big pond :)

Intimidator
08-03-2005, 05:54 AM
Do not go out unprepaired.....
Have all of the gear mentioned and start out slow...
You sometimes only get one chance out there....
My 2 cents.

gone fishin
08-03-2005, 07:49 AM
Hey hqly2001

TSL is right on. It would be like playing Russian roulette. We have lost 2 nice boats this year and 1 life and these were experience fisherman, they just made a bad discussion. Don't be the third.
I've spent my whole life on the big blue and I have some close calls because I was not paying attention.

But please, get all of the above gear and safety equipment and go on little test runs with it. Learn how to use your GPS, compass and perform radio checks everywhere you go.

Good luck and take it slow... ;D ;D

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 08:09 AM
Good job Fish_King, do you have some GPS numbers on where you were hooking those nice Lings? The rock fish taste good but I'd sure like to hook a keeper Ling ;)

gone fishin
08-03-2005, 01:43 PM
So hey Mickey...So after catching and eating the rock cod we caught last week. Now you want to go and catch some more???

All you had to do was ask.... ;D ;D I've been trying to get you to go for days... ;D ;D

Fort Ross is the best place and a little north of that if we can get a good day.

Yeah buddy...lets go...

Mickey_Thomas
08-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Just pick your days next week Ron (Mon. thru Fri.) and I'm there. ;)

Fish King
08-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Hey Gone Fishin, Fort Ross is definitely NOT the best place to get some nice rockfish. Go about 10-14 miles farther north and you will see some really nice rockfish. I don't want to give you my exact numbers to my ling hole, but go up there and look for the areas that go from 100 feet all the way up to 45 feet pretty quickly. All of the fish hang out around these areas. 4 and 7 inch swimbaits were killer. Good luck if you go. :)

gone fishin
08-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks Fish_King,

I'm heading up there next week. I will go a Little farther next time. Thanks for the advice.

good luck and take care. Maybe see you up there. I'll let you know as we get closer.

hqly2001
08-05-2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the advice..
The boat isn't mine but a good friend of mines and I was thinking about getting a gps for him.. hehe

so are there anyone out there willing to show me the rope of the ocean? hehe.. i'm interested in fishing the seal rock area for halibut and stripers.. and the islands for rock fish.. :)