PDA

View Full Version : Balmy Day at Beardsley 12/26

borntoscout
12-26-2013, 09:02 PM
With the road to the launch ramp closed it took a while to find a route to get the yak down to the water. Beardsley trout readily smack large plugs so I chose a Lucky Craft Pointer in Hitch pattern, a forage species present in the reservoir. A smear of Bio Edge Herring scent, down 3 colors lead core and paddling so as to waddle the yak, I circle the lake hoping for a brown. But the bows would not leave it alone. Seems I spent more time reeling in fish than paddling. No browns, but fun any way.

Mule Skinner
12-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Any idea why the road to the ramp is closed?
I know they were going to build a low water ramp.
I love fishing Beardsley when the water is way down.
Thanks for the pictures.

Steve079
12-27-2013, 06:13 AM
I thought I'd heard the road was open? I've only fished there once when we used the ramp; we'd just use 4wd and launch off the bank. Is that still an option?

borntoscout
12-27-2013, 10:36 AM
The day use area and launch ramp have been closed most of the summer and fall for construction. The old ramp was demolished and replaced with a new one which extends an additional 250 feet down slope with a dog leg off to the west. Up graded restrooms and other facilities were also added. According to the Tridam web site the day use/ramp area remains closed pending completion of facilities.
The old ramp was so short it was not in the water much of the time and only served as access to the packed sand trail leading to the beach launch. Whether or not the new ramp preserves the access to the beach launch area is a good question. The high curbs visible from across the lake suggest it may not, but I don't know. The toe of the new ramp is not visible from the water of the main body of the lake.

Pecar
12-27-2013, 12:07 PM
With the road to the launch ramp closed it took a while to find a route to get the yak down to the water. Beardsley trout readily smack large plugs so I chose a Lucky Craft Pointer in Hitch pattern, a forage species present in the reservoir. A smear of Bio Edge Herring scent, down 3 colors lead core and paddling so as to waddle the yak, I circle the lake hoping for a brown. But the bows would not leave it alone. Seems I spent more time reeling in fish than paddling. No browns, but fun any way.

awesome report! i thought it was closed to drive down there. did you see any bank fisherman? im thinking of heading there tomorrow

borntoscout
12-27-2013, 05:10 PM
did you see any bank fisherman? im thinking of heading there tomorrow

Yes, there were a few people fishing from the south bank and from the the dam. Lots of trout at the surface. I think tossing lures would get some fish.

RideNfish
12-28-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the report. What size bows were you catching?

fish_junky
12-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Nice report and picture my friend. Koko and I are hitting Amador Tuesday if your interested.

borntoscout
12-28-2013, 08:21 PM
The bows ranged from about 11 1/2 to about 16 inches but most were like the one in the pic, about 13 inches RNf. Most had at least a few copepods, and some, particularly some smaller ones were horribly infested.

Thanks for the invite f_j. I'm scheduled for a much needed course in brown trout catching for the next couple of days.

mryosemite
12-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Nice post and good pics. Does anyone know if the afterbay is considered to be part of the river and therefore its closed for the season?

RideNfish
12-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Nice post and good pics. Does anyone know if the afterbay is considered to be part of the river and therefore its closed for the season?

The regs say "From Beardsley Dam down" is closed for the season.

borntoscout
01-06-2014, 09:06 PM
Visited Beardsley again today. Got out of the yak to stretch my legs and took a couple pics of the new ramp.

fish_junky
01-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Now that I can handle with my Pro Angler. How did you do on the catching?

borntoscout
01-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Although the bite was slower than 12/26 there were plenty of "copebows" to be caught. Spent most of the time trying to get a strike from what was showing as rather large arches near the bottom at 40 feet, and no luck on that.

To be clear, the ramp area remains closed behind a locked gate. Not sure you could wheel a yak down from there any way. I launched on the north side, from near the CG and used a small boat, less than 10 feet and around 45 lbs. bare.