PDA

View Full Version : What Line Counter Reel to Buy for Trout / Kokanee / Coho

XPL051v3
12-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Was thinking of getting a few decent line counter reels for trolling for trout / Kokes. Christmas has past and I have some extra $ to spend. I don't need anything top of the line but would be willing to spend 50$ per reel. Also would prefer left handed but right is ok too. Maybe some recommendations on some rods to match the reels. Thanks!

Anyone have any feed back on these here

Cabela's DepthMaster® II Linecounter Trolling Reels : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-DepthMaster-II-Linecounter-Trolling-Reels/1159890.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dline%2Bcounter%2Breels%26WTz_l%3DHeader %253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=line+counter+reels&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products)

Amazon.com: Okuma Magda Pro Line Counter Levelwind Trolling Reel, Small, Black/Silver, MA-15DX: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Counter-Levelwind-Trolling-MA-15DX/dp/B000CC96VK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388177017&sr=8-1&keywords=line+counter+reel)

-Xzi

salmonid
12-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Friend of mine has the Okuma Magda, it feels pretty cheap when I tried it, but it works and not too much $. If you want the better version of Okuma, try a coldwater, it feels like a solid reel that will last awhile, but more $. These were the salmon sized reels.

Good luck,

okie
12-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Was thinking of getting a few decent line counter reels for trolling for trout / Kokes. Christmas has past and I have some extra $ to spend. I don't need anything top of the line but would be willing to spend 50$ per reel. Also would prefer left handed but right is ok too. Maybe some recommendations on some rods to match the reels. Thanks!

Anyone have any feed back on these here

Cabela's DepthMaster® II Linecounter Trolling Reels : Cabela's (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-DepthMaster-II-Linecounter-Trolling-Reels/1159890.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dline%2Bcounter%2Breels%26WTz_l%3DHeader %253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=line+counter+reels&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products)

Amazon.com: Okuma Magda Pro Line Counter Levelwind Trolling Reel, Small, Black/Silver, MA-15DX: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Counter-Levelwind-Trolling-MA-15DX/dp/B000CC96VK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388177017&sr=8-1&keywords=line+counter+reel)

-Xzi

i have 2 rigs like that, depthmasters w/shakespear rods from cabellas, been
very happy with them. use them sometimes at pyramid and have used them
in the delta for stripers.
be safe

oregondragonfly
12-27-2013, 01:30 PM
I second the okama they come in left or right, I feel there smallest one is a little big for kokanee but a good solid reel. I normally run downriggers and just count the back and forth on the tica reel which is 10', but will long line if they are shallow and it has been a good reel I also have the orange daiwa lo pro but like the okoma better, for the money. dfly

Tonysgonefishin
12-27-2013, 01:54 PM
If I'm remembering right, big IF, those two are the same reels just one is rebadged for cabelas. I've got two of the cabelas and they feel cheap. The drag star will spin on its own and the drag is very sticky. They have both been demoted to back up lead core reels. The diawa accudepth, in my option is a big step forward and I think you can find them in the $60 range. The okuma cold waters I like a lot and have bought a couple near new off eBay in the $70-80 range. They feel very solid and come in left hand models. My favorite are the shimano tekotas but they are expensive. Another line counter I like that's closer to Kokanee size is the abu 4500 lc but they run around $100 to. Abu also came out with a new line counter this year that i want to try but have no firsthand experience with it yet!

hope my rambling helps in some way!

Lifted
12-27-2013, 02:45 PM
I have both the Depthmaster II and Depthmaster II Metal. I believe they are the medium size but they might be the small, since I got them primary for trout/kokanee. I definitely agree that the drag is not very sensitive on the low end, such that most planter size trout and small kokes won't really take drag, even if it's very loose. It's definitely better on the metal version, but that one costs twice as much. That being said, for larger trout and macks they work great. The depth counter reset button on the non-metal version occasionally gets stuck, so I keep my eye out for that, but otherwise it works fine. Also having a clicker to aid in setting the downriggers is nice compared to baitcasters/spinning reels. The metal version is also impressive to look and seems well constructed, however on the first one we got the screw that turns the clicker on and off fell out on our second trip and went overboard. Luckily Cabela's gave us a new reel no questions asked and the new one has been excellent from day 1. It's also worth noting that I got the non-metal version on sale for $35, which probably means I have lower expectations than if I had paid full price. Hope that helps.

yakky
12-27-2013, 05:32 PM
I bought two magdas 15dx through amazon beginning of this year... Not too bad for the money... The counters stick occasionally.... They have worked well for kokes and trout.. I paired them with shakespeare agility UL rods i bought through Sports Chalet... (Best price online at the time) It has been pretty good setup for the money..

Jetspray
12-27-2013, 05:38 PM
The Cabela's reels are Okuma, parts are interchangeable, I have 8 LC reels and it all depends on how big the reel is that you are using. The small types I have are Penn's and Abu Garcia like both of those myself.......Jetspray