PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have input re: Bass Pro Offshore Angler Brand?

F33rNoFish
12-27-2013, 04:34 PM
Was looking at this reel for the heavier rock/ling cod, halibut and WSB fishing days.

I'm not much of a casting/conventional angler, but for the price it seems pretty legit.

Anyone have any experience with it or the brand itself?

Offshore Angler:
http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler- ... uct/46386/ (http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler-Ocean-Master-Round-Casting-Reels/product/46386/)

Thx!

fnf

F33rNoFish
12-27-2013, 04:57 PM
also looking at the shimano cardiff 400. not sure if the 400 is too large, but i think it'd be a good fit with a 7' heavy rod.

was thinking of going with the offshore angler because i got a bps gift card, but maybe i'll use that for terminal tackle instead.

49erbassman
12-27-2013, 05:17 PM
I'm looking at a few of those options as well and also have a BPS gift card. I want a set up that can be used for offshore as well as sturgeon. The reviews on the Cardiff are pretty damn good too.

Fish on!

F33rNoFish
12-27-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm looking at a few of those options as well and also have a BPS gift card. I want a set up that can be used for offshore as well as sturgeon. The reviews on the Cardiff are pretty damn good too.

Fish on!

for only about 20$ more i think i'm going for the shimano man. reputable and i've searched for forum reviews on the offshore stuff. although some ppl are ok with them i think it may be a no brainer going with the shimano now.

that's all i have...shimano. with the exception of an old skool penn 309 level wind and some other ultra light brands, but mostly fish with shimano reels so i think i'm gonna stick with the cardiff.

good luck!

BigUnInDaBoat
12-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Get a 2 speed avet, I'll never use one of my other conventionals again!

F33rNoFish
12-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Avets are really nice. Thing is I don't use conventionals all that often and I prefer a level wind which I don't think avets have, right?

For as much as I'm gonna use it I think starting off in that price range will be better.

If I use it a lot then I may look at the avets.

If you have a Cardiff you're not using I may want to take it off your hands. ;)

JB14
12-28-2013, 11:43 AM
I can't see if it has a clicker but if not get a real with a kicker. Drifting for halibut and WSB you'll drift with the clicker on and when they take it you'll know.

For rockfish you can use bass gear for the most part unless you're going deep.

Here's my halibut, shallow rockfish, light weight shark, salmon and striper trolling reel.

Salmon to 30lbs, stripers to 15lbs, leopards to 18lbs and lingcod to 19.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/gejetesy.jpg

Just my $.02

F33rNoFish
12-28-2013, 11:54 AM
You know what's funny...

I actually had one of them Abu's. I pulled it out of the Bay a couple years ago. Opened it up, cleaned it and put new line one it. Tested it out and the first cast...bird's nest! Haha

One of the reasons I've always stuck with spinning gear.

Then I found out about the brake feature. Once I figured that out I got ok at casting.

Ended up giving the rod/reel setup to a buddy that was just getting into fishing. He was stoked.

Well, now I could use that setup! Haha

I liked the fact that it was fully in the Bay's mud and harsh waters but with a thorough clean it worked like new.

I think that model goes for about 70$-100$ as well right?

JB14
12-28-2013, 12:36 PM
I think you can find them in that range. They're a pretty bullet proof reel. Just make sure you wash the salt off of them at the end if the day.

I upgraded the handle for $15-20 and that's made a huge difference for me.

JB14
12-28-2013, 12:49 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/esa5urag.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/29/7e2yjaby.jpg

Odasan
01-04-2014, 06:38 PM
I also love the Avets. I have a "few" including 2 speeds. If you want a level wind, the Shimano Charter Special is a good choice. I also use the Triton TR 200 reels. They are a very good reel for the price.

Once you get used to leveling the line, the Avets are the way to go.

Prototype
01-07-2014, 10:44 AM
I bought a tekota 300lc to use for salmon mooching and trolling but I didn't fair very well this last season. I ended up using it for all of my bottom fishing outings and very happy with it's performance (bought a discontinued charter boat series ugly stick that was on clearance to pair with the reel for bottom fishin)! I did bottom fish with my lamiglass x11 8'6" rod and did fine with it.

I do like the levelwind offering, but looking for an open face reel (considering the daiwa saltist star drag).

I checked out the offshore angler house brand at BPS, they seem like a solid offering. No personal experience with them, though.

F33rNoFish
01-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Welp...

Bit the bullet and ordered a Shimano Cardiff this evening.

Went for the 401A.

Yep, lefty. Learned about the use of lefty over righty this season and made sense. I'm already used to reeling with my left hand on all my spin gear anyhow. So, why not? Makes sense.

Hope to put it to use very soon!

fnf

Lil' Bone
01-16-2014, 04:53 AM
Welp...
sense.

Hope to put it to use very soon!

fnf

Hey D, Steve here, I'll see what I can do about that. :)

Can't wait to see it!
Though rockfish won't open back up for a few mounths.
And ya might have your rig operational by then.

F33rNoFish
01-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Hey Cap!

Yep, i know about the rock season but maybe I'll practice with winter stripes out in Forebay or heck possibly a Dino in Rio! I've never caught one and need to prep for my sons 16th birthday. It's one of his dreams to catch a Dino. Hoping we can make that happen for his 16th. So...need to do homework now! Haha

Will practice using conventional gear in general. I'm not too good with it so practice won't hurt.

Was telling Laz about it last night too. Said he may be on the look out for something very similar.

See you soon!

Lil' Bone
01-16-2014, 06:01 AM
Hey Cap!

Yep, i know about the rock season but maybe I'll practice with winter stripes out in Forebay or heck possibly a Dino in Rio! I've never caught one and need to prep for my sons 16th birthday. It's one of his dreams to catch a Dino. Hoping we can make that happen for his 16th. So...need to do homework now! Haha

Will practice using conventional gear in general. I'm not too good with it so practice won't hurt.

Was telling Laz about it last night too. Said he may be on the look out for something very similar.

See you soon!

Let me know if you have a Saturday in Feb.

F33rNoFish
01-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Will do!

F33rNoFish
01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Happy early birthday to me!!!1870018701