PDA

View Full Version : Dog Sharks at Capitola

easymoneyadam
07-25-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi all,

Did some fishing for cods over at Capitola this past weekend and hooked over a dozen dog sharks (nothing reaching the 36" limit) and not much of anything else. Is anyone else going home emtpy-handed as I did this past weekend or any other time? any suggestions on how to bag a keeper shark? I'm looking for suggestions and feedback on the Santa Cruz wharf area for fishing too.

-Adam

triggerfish
07-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Adam, only leopard sharks need to be 36" you can keep any sized brown smoothhounds. I never kept one,so I dont know if they are any good to eat.

Jan_from_Humboldt
07-26-2005, 09:00 AM
I tried a snooth hound to eat ...once.

My advice is unless you are really hungry don't bother.

Leopards however, if you bleed and get in the ice soon are a lot better

fishingjunky
07-26-2005, 03:17 PM
What is the best way to bleed the leoards? Don't you cut them behind the gills? How long should you let them bleed before putting them on ice?

GooseCA
07-26-2005, 05:40 PM
I always cut them in the tail and they bleed like crazy. Does a very good job of bleeding them. For some reason I read in a book to cut the tail.

Rock_Hopper
07-27-2005, 12:40 PM
I've never kept a shark, but I imagine that as soon as it is "bled out" (meaning no more blood coming out) it is ready to throw on ice. I would also gut it as soon as it was bled out, too.

People also recommend soaking the fillets in milk or lemon water for a few hours, or overnight. Helps get rid of the "ammonia" taste. :-X

sigmapirockstar
07-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I just got back from Capitola also. We rented one of the red wooden boats, caught 16 rockfish, 2 lingcod, about 50 dogsharks and I lost a huge salmon!! I mooched while drifting with shrimp and anchovies.

easymoneyadam
07-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Thanks to everyone and their replies to my thread. sigmapirockstar your trip was better than mine, all I got was dog sharks, but your report encourages me to hit the Capitola in the little red boat again (I already got my reservation ;D ) I'm still fairly new to the whole saltwater fishing experience but I certianly look forward to some lingcods, rockcods and would love to hook a halibut or a even a 36"+ sharky. Has anybody ever caught a thresher in the Capitola/Santa Cruz region? I was recently viewing a article about a guy who bagged a 8' thresher on his kayak after a 2-1/2 battle with the critter. This article was from the southern California region.

sigmapirockstar
07-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Ask where the coral beds are. We drifted over the same spot without getting hung up. When we drifted past the spot-dog shark heaven. Go where the fish are at.

ken_fishnfool
07-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Yes I caught a thresher out of Capitola (over 6 feet at 56 pounds) I was drifting live mackeral for halibut just outside the kelp to the south of the pier. I thought I had a white sea bass or something, threshers can FIGHT!
If you want rockcod run north to Adams reef.
If you want big sharks run out past mile bouy and drift a bleeding mackeral. The blue sharks start coming in this time of year (up to 100 or 120 pounds each). ;)

easymoneyadam
07-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Well I fished Capitola today with success on rock cods, but no lingcods. Heard from local fishers that a 23 lbs halibut was caught at one mile reef and other fishers were catching near limit or the limit for rock fish. Good news, no problems with the dogsharks this time around, in fact none seen this time.

SalmonKing
08-01-2005, 09:29 PM
What's the fishing like from the pier there at capitola? A friend of mine told me he saw a 30lb striper caught there recently. Does that sound like the truth or a story?

blue_chrush
08-02-2005, 05:55 PM
salmon king: yes its true.....
this week have seen some local catch's of stripers
at the harbor off the beach as well as the seacliff area..
and inside the kelp beds close to the beachs around 41st ave.

adam: once on the boat head north around the kelp beds
towards the surf spots and look for a channel going to
the inside with no kelp and its about 60/70yds wide...
its right straight off 30th ave...that hole has some big
lings in it and lots of rockies....another spot is straight
off 34ave and the house thats on the cliff, thats the oneill house and outside the kelp beds there is really good halibut hole as well as some other fish....
stay about 100yds away from the kelp and you should do really well....the rockies don't go far past the cover of the kelp beds and the bigger fish swim the edges looking for strays.......good luck
ed burrell on the wharf there will alway help you find fish...if you catch fish, you come back...so he always has somewhere he knows the fish are biting.. ;D

SalmonKing
08-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks for getting back to me Steve. ;)

easymoneyadam
08-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Steve thanks for the info and for the great tips on where to fish. I plan on hitting the Capitola area again in the near future. Hopefully I won't have to wait on the fog to burn off so late like this past sunday. Does the fog get worst as we get closer to the fall season?