PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sickness

Off_The_Hook
07-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Just wondering.. What does everybody use for sea sickness? Does anyone use one of those relief bands? I'd like to try one, but they are $100. I've tried the standard "non-drousy" Dramamine and Bonine, but they still knock me out.

MB_Kevin
07-16-2005, 10:31 PM
look at the horizon. dont take the dramamine makes me sick. If I dont take it im ok. those chewable ones are nasty. I went out last week and ate abalone and all kinds of stuff and when into the cab. no problem. I would say just dont worry about it and just have fun.
I think everyone worries about it too much and takes too much stuff and it ends up making them sick. :-/
just my 2 cents.

kromebrite
07-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Relief bands do seem to work, I have used one several time. This coming from a guy who has used everything imaginable to prevent chunkage. My best luck so far is to take Bonine the night before and an hour before departure. I have so much confidence, I may even try to go out of Bodega soon(as everyone scatters and says"uh, full boat K' ;D)

fishguts
07-16-2005, 11:33 PM
I use both Dramamine formulas. I use the "drowsy" formula the night before and then I take the non-drowsy formula as a chaser starting in the morning and during the day when I eat lunch. Seems to work for me. I also find snacking during the trip helps since there is something in the ole gut.
Joe P.

papsnbeer2
07-17-2005, 07:08 AM
I tend to agree with master baiter, I used to take the pill at home prior to the trip and I would get sick (nausiated) on the ride over the hill to santa cruz! I would not get sick on the water but very very sleepy and most drives home, I would fight the dizzies and or have to stop the truck for some sleep! I could not keep my eyes open!I stopped taking the pill and didn't worry about it and to my surprise, no chunking! Do not read anything for prolonged times while rockin, this tends to get me sick very fast. keep busy, eat, and drink plenty of beer!

blue_chrush
07-17-2005, 08:18 AM
SEA-BAND
this is what I give to kids and some adults to use and
they only cost about 8.00 and seem to work well.
as for Dramamine I never give a full table., if your not
far outside, I say try taking a 1/2 table only.....
keys for not getting sick to are...
get a full nights sleep and eat a good breakfast too..
and once on the boat standing up helps with munching on
crackers and fluids to keep your stomach full...
candy ginger or straigh ginger will work too if you like
the flavor...
once you throw up, the cycle is started and you will continue to get sick
about every 20/30 mins till your drained and you can't take it....
if you have not taken a pill and want to stay out you can......
push a pill up your rectun and it will work...just don't ask me to help..... :o :P
another thing that will stop puking is to get into the
water for like 3mins....this will make you neutral bouecy
and stop the sickness too, but its cold.....
if all else fails see the patch below,,, it works

http://store1.yimg.com/I/landfallnav_1854_42892746

if all else fails try this, it does work.......

THE SCOPOLAMINE PATCH:
You stick it on the side of your neck, just below either ear. After 4 hours enough has built up in your bloodstream to be effective. It pretty much eliminates seasickness for me. I can watch the boat pitching and yawing and rolling, and simply not care. Ho hum.

The negatives: It needs a doctor's prescription. It's expensive (about US$8) although one patch will last 3 days.

arima
07-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Use ginger caps [health food store] or fresh ginger its natural and it works. fresh ginger is a little spicy though.

Arima

phishhead
07-17-2005, 05:20 PM
I used to get sick every time out in the seas but I tried this in Alaska last year and havent been sick since!
My doctor prescribed me the behind the ear patch. He told me if it didnt work try Dramamine and Sudafed.
Well, the patch didnt work :-X
so I did the Dramamine and Sudafed the next day and no blow chunks ;D
I start with Dramamine the night before and take Sudafed before going out. I went out on a party boat a few weeks ago and it was very windy and rolly and I was at the front of the boat and felt fine.
Doc said motion sickness has sometihng to do with the a nerve in the inner ear getting overstimulated and the Dramamine Sudafed combo dulls the nerve??
It works for me!! :)

blue_chrush
07-18-2005, 06:17 AM
phishhead,, welcome aboard..... ;D
for your 1st post that was a great one...
I have never heard about that one, I will
have to tell my bass pro buddy that one..
last time on the ocean I just thought it was
a delta thing chumming in the water.....lol ;D

welcome to the board again and enjoy......

Off_The_Hook
07-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I got a pretty good idea now what I am going to try. I'm not going for a week and a half, but I will post what worked. If anybody that is going fishing me is reading this, you may want to read Smilin Steve's post. I might be needing your help 8).

drstressor
07-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Sudafed doesn't do anything for sea sickness. It just counteracts the drowsiness effect of the Dramamine. It's a good combination. Make sure to drink a lot of water as Sudafed will dry you right out.

kromebrite
07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Red Bull and Bonine. Now I'm onto something!
Best of luck, OTH!

65whaler
07-18-2005, 01:10 PM
motion sickness happens when the information received by the eyes contradicts the information from the inner ear. some are more suseptible than others. dramamaine is similar to sudafed - good sleeping pill. taking it the night before and being mindful to keep your eye on the horizon may do it. i always get a bit queezy when i forget to look up every couple seconds when i'm tying rigs.

Salmon1
07-18-2005, 02:34 PM
My experience with the Scopalomine patch has been completely positive. I have used them on multiple occasions, with 100% success rate. I would get sick 8 out of 10 times with no medication and probably 6 out of 10 with Dramamine.I have not personally used Bonine, but my buddies have used it with a moderatley better result than Dramamine. ::) :P ;D Mention was made of the expense, but after having spent many a day hurling instead of reeling, I would pay $10 apiece. Most doctors will prescribe wihout an office visit and insurance does cover it( minus co-pay of course).

drstressor
07-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Bonine, Dramamine, and Benadryl are all anti-histamines. They all block the action of histamine, which is released during allergic reactions and causes swelling of the nasal and bronchial passages. But it is also a neurotransmitter that lets parts of the brain communicate with other parts. So all anti-histamines that cross the blood-brain barrier tend to make people drowsy. They also seems to mute the sensory imbalance between signals coming from the eyes and the inner ear. This later property is what makes them effective against seasickness.

Sudafed or pseudo-epinephrine is a decongestant. It causes smooth muscle to relax which opens up bronchial and nasal passages. But like real epinephrine (aka adrenaline), it has a stimulator effect on most people and combats drowsiness. The difference in the side effects of pseudo-epinephrine and anti-histamines gives a non-drowsy seasickness medication.

Scopolamine is a sedative. It reduces the overall rate of nerve communication in the brain. It is a very effective anti-seasickness medication for most people. However, it tends to have more profound side effects than anti-histamines in that it causes confusion or a "zoned out" feeling in many people. Most folks probably should not use the stuff if they are running the boat. In my own case, I hallucinate if I drink beer when using Scopolamine patches. :o

Variation in the way that different people respond to each of the classes of seasickness medications most often has to do with how fast the drugs are metabolized. This is determined by each of our genetic makeups and is what keeps the pharmaceutical industry wealthy.

MB_Kevin
07-19-2005, 09:28 PM
I tend to agree with master baiter, I used to take the pill at home prior to the trip and I would get sick (nausiated) on the ride over the hill to santa cruz! I would not get sick on the water but very very sleepy and most drives home, I would fight the dizzies and or have to stop the truck for some sleep! I could not keep my eyes open!I stopped taking the pill and didn't worry about it and to my surprise, no chunking! Do not read anything for prolonged times while rockin, this tends to get me sick very fast. keep busy, eat, and drink plenty of beer!
oh yea I forgot to menchion drink alot of beer the night before. If you dont get sick on the ride to the boat then get on and I dont start drinking again until my first fish or the boat ride home. hopefully after the first fish. ;)

chingolingy
07-22-2005, 11:03 PM
;)Medicinal marijuana is the hands down best nausea preventer or eliminator and appetite inducer. Also prevents saliva producers in the mouth from producing saliva :P efficiently, thus reducing "that watery mouth sick feeling".-although i do not reccomend the wacky to any person(s) planning to operate a boat or vehicle, it is the choice way of many o'anglers to eliminate nausea,spark the appetite, and stimulate the mind,body,and soul. id like to hear varying opinions.

MB_Kevin
07-22-2005, 11:10 PM
*;)Medicinal marijuana is the hands down best nausea preventer or eliminator and appetite inducer. Also prevents saliva producers in the mouth from producing *saliva :P efficiently, thus reducing "that watery mouth sick feeling".-although i do not reccomend the wacky to any person(s) planning to operate a boat or vehicle, it is the choice way of many o'anglers to eliminate nausea,spark the appetite, and stimulate the mind,body,and soul. *id like to hear varying opinions.

im sure Doc Stressor will have some openions on that. ;D

I had to quit so It cant help me now :'(

fishguts
07-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Great explanation Doc on the pathophysio of these meds. One I would like to add that is Antivert (Meclizine) often prescribed for vertigo (dizziness) and inner ear infections , which can affect your balance and makes you blow chunks. The antivert counteracts that. The non-drowsy formula of Dramanine uses Antivert as it main ingredient.
Its in a lower non-prescription dose but I have found it works especially if you can't get your doc to write you a scrip.
Joe P.

basil
07-25-2005, 09:53 AM
Try the 8 dollar bands and keep some Dramamine in your pocket. It works after you seasick to get you back to normal. I don't get seasick, but have seen this first hand.

An old sailboater and around the world sailor, was sick on a deep sea fishing trip. He didn't understand it because he hadn't had any trouble on the sailboat. Stinkpots are different, they don't have the wind to stabilize them. Anyway, someone gave him some dramamine and he felt fine a little later.

Things to try before taking the pills:

1) Stay outside and in the rear of the boat, but not if you are breathing fuel fumes. It's more stable.

2)Watch the anything that gives you a stable line on the world, this can be a fog line on the water or some land based object in the distance. This gives your eyes a reference to the stable world.

3) Avoid watching things close to you. The only time I feel quesy is if I do something like use a screw driver and focus on something close.

4) Eat fish roe or some type of bait the night before, if you're going to throw up, it might as well help the fishing!

jgr7
07-25-2005, 02:24 PM
I've been getting sick for as long as I can remember, sea, car, roller coaster, Imax, you name it. I've tried pretty much everything and nothing works every time. When I go on the cruise ships I use the patch, on my friends 21' Sea Pro Salmon fishing most times if it isn't to lumpy I use regular dramamine. The regular for me works better than the non drowsy. When I fly I use chewable bonine. With the patch you shouldn't drink booze, It will really mess you up :o . In SF bay I use dramamine just to be on the safe side. We all know how fast the Bay can get mixed up. In the Delta I don't use anything. One thing that helps is driving the boat if trolling, it gives you something to do and not think about getting sick. It's kinda like driving vs riding in a car if you get car sick. And my fishing buddy does all the knot tying and rigging on the semi rough days outside. I've tried the wrist bands and they didn't work for me. If you do get sick Ginger, green apples and soda crackers will take some of the edge off the sickness. A dry warm place topside to sleep helps also. Keep drinking water or ginger ale or something not booze to keep your guts in shape. And remember this, it is the most important thing. If your throwing up and you feel something hairy in the back of your throat swallow as quick as you can. It's your hairy A$$ hole coming up. sorry for the vulgar language.
Jeff

Rusty_Hooks
07-25-2005, 02:59 PM
He's been seasick before...... ;D ;D ;D ::)

Welcome to the boards jgr7.... ;D

AllFishNoWork
07-25-2005, 10:06 PM
I got sick yesterday, because I didn't get sick the first time out I wasn't worried. About 45 mins into the trip I felt like I had bowl of spaghetti in my stomach. I knew it was gonna just be a matter of time. I'm gonna try the bonine or dramamine next trip, I enjoy it too much to give up on ocean fishing. I need to try fixating on a shore point or horizon too. You know what made me feel better after, actually 2 things 1) catching fish 2) talking about the barf :o ;D you know...color, texture, what it was originally, how far out it funneled ;D ;D ;D I guess it didn't make anyone else happy, but it made me feel better ;) AT LEAST IT DIDN'T COME OUT MY NOSE :D

I didn't realize, this is post 2000. I guess it pretty much sums up the bulk of my other 1999 posts. :-/

kromebrite
07-26-2005, 09:17 AM
was it spaghetti? ;D with trix and froot loops you mark your drift........ ;)
on a more positive, where's the report for the fishing?

AllFishNoWork
07-26-2005, 09:23 AM
Actually, it was a combination pizza, bacon, eggs, hash browns, roll all together. It sunk pretty fast, not like the other person who had salad and it floated around forever, everyone got a good look at it and many had to add a comment.

Two of the less fortunate...

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1862/ftbragg213lz.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Here is the report
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?board=west;action=display;num=1122314550

AllFishNoWork
07-26-2005, 09:27 AM
If your throwing up and you feel something hairy in the back of your throat swallow as quick as you can. It's your hairy A$$ hole coming up. sorry

That gets my vote for HUGE post of the week!

MB_Kevin
07-26-2005, 08:03 PM
sorry allfish I hope I didnt have any thing to do with you not taking anything. :-[. did you listen to the rest of my post and drink alot the night before ???
I guess I have been lucky. im going out this weekend. Ill keep my eye on the horizon or the shore ;)

sigmapirockstar
07-28-2005, 02:44 PM
That dramamine stuff is supposed to work very well accg. to my father in law (Navy man).

CORN
07-28-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm sure everyone has their own ways of battling sea sickness. What's effective to some may not work in others. For me, I get sick half the time on Dramamine and Bonine. What's worse is trying to drive home while drowsy.

Since moving to Scopalamine, I've only been sick once in about 10 trips. I don't get anywhere near as drowsy, but do have a REAL dry throat while on it. About an 1-2 hrs before heading back to the ramp, I pull the patch off.

I've tried the pressure bands, the Relief Band, ginger cookies, and ginger tea without success.

I try to get a good night's rest and stay well hydrated with water during the trip. For breakfast, I only eat bread ... nothing heavy or greasy. No caffeine or alcohol. Good luck to all. Everyone has to find what works for them.

Rusty_Hooks
07-29-2005, 10:18 AM
And Corn tells "nothing but the truth" after taking a dose ;D ;D

I wonder if the residual affects fish stories ??? ;D ;D ;)

MB_Kevin
07-31-2005, 01:11 AM
we all went out today. panfish and grandpa and I with no medication and no worries. the water was calm so we lucked out but no sickness on the boat

JIM_D.
07-31-2005, 07:38 AM
We need to get a DR. on board that can help fellow sniffers with seasickness with percriptions for meds. or patches. There has to be DR's that enjoys fishing out there. My son and I can't go out because of the seasickness, I can not get a patch because I go to the VA for medical and it's hard enough to get a regular appt. JIM D.

Off_The_Hook
08-01-2005, 06:43 AM
Since I started this topic, let me finish with my experience this weekend. I just got back from 3 days at Bodega. The first day, I figured I would just try taking Dramamine the night before, and would be good. Well I was until I put the boat in neutral and started drifting. I put on one of those $100 relief bands, but that did nothing. Within 30 minutes I was throwing up. Did that for about 2 hours before I called it quits for the day.

That night I put on the patch. The next two days on the water were great. I felt absolutely nothing. I was able to do everything you are not supposed to do, like looking down inside the boat, reading, etc...

Anyway, it's the patch for me from now on. That thing worked like magic.

Off_The_Hook
08-01-2005, 08:03 AM
I forgot, I also took Zantac the night before and in the morning. I think that helped a lot.

JIM_D.
08-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Did you get the patch through a DR. or over the counter and what is it called. JIM D.

Rusty_Hooks
08-01-2005, 08:30 AM
MB...Glad to hear you got out with your dad and PP...

Nice to go out without meds...

Whatever you find that works for you....

For me...Bonine, candied ginger and ginger ale......filleting mackrel for bait...reeling like crazy

They all work just fine...especially the reeling part!! ;)

gone fishin
08-01-2005, 09:17 AM
I checked everywhere for the patches for nick and the only way to get them is through your Doctor. Or go to a clinic and you can get them there as well.
Once you get the prescription then all you have to do is call for a refill.

Good luck...

drstressor
08-01-2005, 10:02 AM
The patches seem to work the best for most people. As with any drug, you just have to see what works best for you. That's what the docs will tell you.

Someday we may have genetic screens that will predict which drugs would be most effective on an individual by individual basis. But for now, it's just trial and error.

Start with the cheap over the counter stuff. Try both the Dramamine and Bonine types of drugs since they not the same thing. If they don't work, get a script for the patches. I've never heard from very many people with serious motion sickness problems that the wrist bands do any good at all. They may help some folks with minor problems. But again, it's a case by case type of thing.

CORN
08-01-2005, 10:20 AM
JIM D, as Gone Fishin mentioned, you have to get those patches through your doctor. The one I use is called Scopalmine ... each patch is good for 3 days and I apply it the night before, and take it off towards the end of my fishing trip.

My buddy said that there's medication called "Scopase" ... I know nothing about it (or its spelling), but that's through prescription also.

It's all genetic. The first time I took my wife to HMB, I was puking on Dramamine. She didn't take anything and was perfectly fine. In fact, she said all my puking was making her sick. ;D

IMO, if you can read a book while sitting in the back of a car while going through windy roads, you'll probably be fine on the ocean without medication.

Off_The_Hook
08-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Although you have to get the Scopaline patch through a Dr's prescription, it can usually be done with only a phone call to your Dr's office.

Definately put it on the night before you go out. I felt a little loopy the night I put the patch on, but really not that bad. The next two days I had no side effects whatsoever.

;D

somebody
08-02-2005, 11:04 AM
I used to have my wife take mother sills seasick pills and stay in the middle of the boat-fore and aft and center to reduce the roll and pitch