PDA

View Full Version : swimbaits?

jon_may
08-01-2005, 02:24 PM
hey all, i see some reports of rockfish(?) caught on swimbaits.... how are they fished/rigged? would like to try... fishing shallow?... any advice would help ;D

CORN
08-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Jon, my biggest rockfish have all come off of swimbaits or large scampis. Attach the swimbait to a 3-6 oz lead head jig (with hook). I like to start out with a 5" swimbait. If the bite is good and you want size, go to a 7". I fish mostly in 20-50 feet of water. If you go a lot deeper, you may have to increase the lead head weight.

Just bounce it slowly off the bottom. Sometimes the swells will do that for you. If it stops, just hold it for a sec. If it's a fish, you'll feel it tug or start swimming. If it doesn't move, you're snagged. Drop it and see if you can reel it back up. If it's still stuck, reverse the boat and pull it the other direction.

Add scent ... it can't hurt. good luck.

jon_may
08-01-2005, 03:04 PM
so what's a scampi? :-[

CORN
08-01-2005, 03:49 PM
Jon, I know you're a bass fisherman too. *So a scampi is basically a big twin tail grub, but with a thicker body. *I use 4" if I want action, and use 6" if I want a bigger fish. *My wife caught the 5 pound brown rockfish with a rootbeer colored, 6" scampi yesterday. *I'd post pictures but my computer crashed on me a few weeks ago, taking my Adobe software with it. Hope this helps.

blue_chrush
08-01-2005, 05:48 PM
hey jon...
here is the pros tips for swimbaits part 2.....lol
carry crazy glue with you and put a dab on the jig
befor sliding on the body so the body will stick to
the head.. this makes the bait last longer and also
the super glue can patch tears in the baits...
and if you don't buy the painted heads which run about
4.00 for 2.. then get the straight lead ones and spray
white paint on them or bright green and then either paint
large eyes on, or get the stick on ones....fish love the
big scared eye look....lol
and smelly jelly in the green anchovie is the best....
thats it, fish it like corn said and you will be posting
some big fish on here........now go get'm

sokoo
08-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Swimbaits have worked great for me on rockfish, lingcod, and halibut. But I found that a crab or crayfish imitation works better for catching cabs, china, and gopher rockfish, most likely because these species eat lots of crabs. I like eating the gopher best compared to all other rockfish, although they are not big. I also made some octapus imitations by tying some rubber strips (from old table tennis rubbers, so the fake legs even have those small buttons!) on a jighead, they work great for reds, black, and lings. The big skirts are pretty expensive, by tying my own, I can make a large rubber octapus in a minute that costs only the price of the jighead.

jon_may
08-02-2005, 11:01 AM
you guys ROCK! :o thanks for all the advice i'll put it to good use.... thanks again! ;D