PDA

View Full Version : Pyramid questions?...

tennesseemike
12-29-2013, 07:18 PM
I have never fished Pyramid lake. My wife and I are thinking of taking our 2 kids to Reno for New Year's and fishing Pyramid the 1st. I have never been there before. I have several ?s for some more experienced with the area. I see you need a tribal fishing license, but do you need a one day NV fishing license as well?
Is Jan a time that we can catch fish from shore?(not taking the boat)
Is regular trout tackle ok? (7ft. spinning rod/ 6lb test)
Tactics? Bait, plugs, spoons, kastmasters?
Do I need to bring my waders?

Thanks in advance.

TM

Katfish
12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
I have never fished Pyramid lake. My wife and I are thinking of taking our 2 kids to Reno for New Year's and fishing Pyramid the 1st. I have never been there before. I have several ?s for some more experienced with the area. I see you need a tribal fishing license, but do you need a one day NV fishing license as well?
Is Jan a time that we can catch fish from shore?(not taking the boat)
Is regular trout tackle ok? (7ft. spinning rod/ 6lb test)
Tactics? Bait, plugs, spoons, kastmasters?
Do I need to bring my waders?

Thanks in advance.

TM

you do not need a nevada fishing license. Just buy your tribal permits. Each person must buy a fishing permit for everyday they fish. you must buy a permit to launch a boat. if you plan on camping you need a permit for that as well.

January is a great time to catch them from shore. A 22 pounder was landed from the bank just last week.

I would upgrade your tackle. Shoot for about a 7' medium action rod with about 10 lb test line.

Bait is not allowed at Pyramid Lake. PLEASE check into the regs before going. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used. There is a 2 fish limit but pay attention to the slot restrictions as well.

Pick up a couple 3/4 oz Kastmasters in perch or frog to get started.

Yes i would definately bring your waders.

Jetspray
12-29-2013, 07:31 PM
You can pick up your tribal lic and information at either Crosby's Lodge or the Marina ranger station. No you only need the tribal lic for fishing Pyramid, the day lic for Nevada would be for waters other than the reservation. Crosby's store has lures and I am sure you can pick up more info on what they are hitting on. Min test for shore casting a spinning setup is about 10 lb, I use 14 lb myself. Regular spoons in bleeding frog colors, perch, cop car (black & white) are useable. You must fish barbless and with no scents added or anything that can be determined as bait. Rangers do check for sizes and limits as well as gear you are using. Have fun follow the rules, and remember over here NHP and Tribal officers enforce all the laws including speeding and talking/texting on phones. They will stop you and hand you a ticket, they all have radar devices.......Jetspray

Jetspray
12-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Katfish you got there a little quicker, looks almost like a dual mirror post:beer:........Jetspray

Katfish
12-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Katfish you got there a little quicker, looks almost like a dual mirror post:beer:........Jetspray

Was just thinking the same.. Guess great minds think alike. :party:

tennesseemike
12-29-2013, 07:53 PM
That is great information. You probably saved me from a ticket. I have 3 steelhead rods that I will bring, 7.6'-8.6' with Ambassaduers and 15lb. line I will bring. You guys have been very informative, and I really appreciate it. I will let you know if we get out there how we did.

TM

Jetspray
12-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Looks like the weather will be good, have a good time........Jetspray NOAA National Weather Service (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.9571224404468&lon=-119.59854125976562&site=rev&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text#.UsDyBdaA3DA)

Captain Compassion
12-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Best shore fishing is off the deeper dropoffs. The bigger fish are coming from the south of the lake. Places like Wino Beach, Rawhide, Block House, Okie Beach, Cattleguard, Sand Hole and Popcorn. There are signs by the road telling you where most of these places are. Any time you get off the main road be careful of sand. 4WD is a big +.

CC

RideNfish
12-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Yes TM... please read up on the regs especially if you want to keep any fish. I have fished that lake a couple times and each time was approached for checking tackle and permit. They were very nice and of course I had no problems since I was following the rules. I even had like three rods all tied with different lures so I could change up tactics without retying. I started to explain why the three rods and he said, "You can only cast one at a time so I don't care." LOL

I buy my permits here so I don't have to run to a tackle store before I start fishing. I usually get there before they are open anyway and there is no way I'm waiting. haha
https://plpt.nagfa.net/online/index.php