PDA

View Full Version : Repairing not building

MattFromSF
12-30-2013, 01:15 AM
My gf has a cheap rod her dad bought her, it worked Ok for a few days of crab snaring and perch fishing. However. Over time it has begun to drop crab, so she had me try it, i felt the crab but had a heck of a time reeling at all, as i reeled in i noticed there is movement in the reel area...now i thought it was just the stem of the reel flexing as it is cheap china stuff ...tightened the nut a teeny bit... Next pull same feeling...well it is actually the reel seat... Wiggling around the blank ... So before i do anything at all i am consulting this well established community to see what everyone reading this think of my repair idea/ can recommend better. My plan since it is a $40 rod is to drill a tiny hole in the upper portion of the grove in the spine of reel seat to inject either epoxy or fiberglass resin since it tends to be thinner, and wiggle the reel around the spread it around then repeat till it rejects the resin/epoxy....
this is the best i got so far, if you have made it thru this long run on... Thank you in advance because i have been trying to figure out what to do for the last three days.

Jetspray
12-30-2013, 03:20 AM
I have had problems with rods that have weak reel holding areas before. For them I took a dremmel tool and wire brushed an area not visible in that area under the reel, then I dabbed on some Loctite bolt holder (heavy duty, I think it was red in color), the hold nut has not moved since, but you could still use a strap wrench and release it.........Jetspray

Line Stretcher
12-30-2013, 09:35 AM
There are several videos on youtube about how to install a rod handle and seat. If you look at those you might find that you can fairly easily remove the entire butt and seat and then re-install it properly. I highly recommend that you watch the videos you find first so you don't damage anything permanently.

It's actually a pretty easy fix.

Good Luck.

Jetspray
12-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Steve I am open to experimentation I guess I will have to go in the garage and find a victim:grin:.......Jetspray

ghostfish_slayer
01-05-2014, 10:39 AM
what i have done,,, drilled a hole or two in the reel seat very carefully not going to deep hopefully to hit a void as many use tape arbors still and leave gaps between them. sometimes i can squeeze seat and find the squishy part or poke at it to see if it is soft under.. looking for the void... mixed up some 2 part slow cure epoxy not the 5 min epoxy.. have even used 2 part rod finish. put it in a rod building style syringe,, squirted it into the holes and hoped it got in good enough.. then filled the holes up and put a little tape over holes to keep stuff from coming out.. . using rod finish it will get into places a little better but it usually takes 1-2 days to fully cure.. the warmer the epoxy the more it will flow into the holes sometimes i put it in the microwave for 2-3 seconds to get it warm to the touch.. not to hot don't want to flash it off to fast.. do at your own caution...

Angry Sturgeon
01-15-2014, 06:53 PM
For what you will pay for epoxy and supplies, and it being a 40 dollar rod, I would buy her a new one. Otherwise if it has sentimental value, to do it right you need to strip it down and redo the reel seat. Or at the very least remove for grip and then redo the reel seat, then make a new for grip, maybe with paracord because then you don't have to remove guides.

MattFromSF
01-31-2014, 07:50 PM
what i have done,,, drilled a hole or two in the reel seat very carefully not going to deep hopefully to hit a void as many use tape arbors still and leave gaps between them. sometimes i can squeeze seat and find the squishy part or poke at it to see if it is soft under.. looking for the void... mixed up some 2 part slow cure epoxy not the 5 min epoxy.. have even used 2 part rod finish. put it in a rod building style syringe,, squirted it into the holes and hoped it got in good enough.. then filled the holes up and put a little tape over holes to keep stuff from coming out.. . using rod finish it will get into places a little better but it usually takes 1-2 days to fully cure.. the warmer the epoxy the more it will flow into the holes sometimes i put it in the microwave for 2-3 seconds to get it warm to the touch.. not to hot don't want to flash it off to fast.. do at your own caution...

ghostfish_slayer, what you describe is essentially how i did the repair, drilled a small shallow hole being carefull as all heck not to touch the graphite blank, then used a elchepo syringe and some loctite 2 part epoxy. Just squeeze some in, wiggled the reel seat around and applied more pressure at the same time, finally i centered it by eye as best as possible and squeezed in the last syringe before some pushed back out, squeezed in a bit more and hoped for the best leaving it upside down to prevent any gap in the seat and blank. Let it sit for two or three days and then we went crabbing, she went from dropping several crab to being able to steadily power in many more crab without dropping a single one due to the reel fumbling around under pressure.

the rod wasn't sentimental, just wanted it to work the way it should, and now i can 100% say it does, so dont be affraid to try stuff as long as its approached and done with caution. And thanks for the advice and tips everyone.