PDA

View Full Version : Mendocino Abalone

pikashy
07-31-2005, 10:33 PM
2 years ago, I stopped at Mendocino just for the heck of it and saw a guy pull 3 abalones off the cliffs, free-diving. Now I'm going back there again this friday to try my luck, but I don't know how to dive (I can swim pretty well) and only have a wet suit (2 mm), no other gear.

Is there any place in Mendocino where you don't have to dive for abalone? like rock-picking them? Or maybe I should try diving. One of my friends who is coming along is experienced. (Has all the diving equipment)I've also had other friends who just use ropes to get down to cliffs during low tides and don't have to dive at all.

I'm staying at Caspar Beach RV park.

triggerfish
08-01-2005, 05:28 AM
if you are there when is's a super low tide,then you have a chanch of rock picking. But the abs are really small. It is much better to dive for them.that way you get 8 inchers. You will need a Ab iron,and a gauge to measure them. And a weight belt. and dont forget to buy a punch card ,and fishing licence.

Hogsbro
08-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Unless you are immune to cold, I don't think a 2mm suit will be enough. That water is very cold. You will also need a abalone punch card. You can get them anywhere that you buy a fishing license. also think about a good pair of dive gloves. Your hands will take a beating not to mention get cold. I also recommend that you dive with your experienced friend. Not only to learn, but also for safety. Good luck.

Flipper266
08-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Definately need a friend along, last year a guy diving in Fort Bragg (10 miles from Mendocino)for abs was eaten by a shark. Keep your eyes open!

FishHappen
08-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Mendocino is a great place to dive for abs and right out of Casper there are some good spots (you don't need to climb down cliffs or anything). I dove the south side of the cove there once and did very well swimming out near the point. A lot will depend on how rough the water is, but there are some sheltered areas, such as Van Damm (south of Casper) that are almost always do'able.

As mentioned, the 2mm suit is too light. Gloves are a must or you'll get pretty cut up, but if you don't want to spend the money on them you can get by with a pair of garden gloves. Also you'll need a hood if you don't have one. SubSurface Progession is an excellent dive shop in Fort Bragg (south end of town, south of the river) that rents suits and would have most everything else you need (except, probably the license). They may also have some suggestions about places to try.

There are plenty of places to dive in that area and if you spend a little time exploring I'm sure you can find something. Just look for where others are diving.

Good luck.

triggerfish
08-01-2005, 05:07 PM
I forgot,a dive float is very usefull it holds your goody bag. it lets boats see you.and serves as a rest if you get tired,or cramps.